Average expenses

Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Default Average expenses

Can anyone confirm that the monthly expense figure that is shown on TV website is farily accurate? Basic expenses, taxes, monthly maintenance, insurance, elec., phone, cable, water they are showing about $1100 p/month.
I know this will vary and does not include personal expenses, food, etc but I am just curious if they are in the ballpark.

We will be relocating within a year or so and I would like to be as informed as I can be.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:47 PM
Sage

Yes, that is pretty accurate. There is more information about this on this forum. On the main page of the forum, scroll down to the Nuts and Bolts of The Villages section. Read the three Moving to the Villages threads. You will learn a lot.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Default Expenses

Figures always amaze me. Our friends ACTUAL monthly expenses are under $500. Also, we looked at a Villa and his ACTUAL expense (documented) were $455 per month. Both were everything but your pocket money and of course your food budget.

These are Courtyard Villa's one with lawn one without so water most likely would be the major difference.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdeck View Post
Figures always amaze me. Our friends ACTUAL monthly expenses are under $500. Also, we looked at a Villa and his ACTUAL expense (documented) were $455 per month. Both were everything but your pocket money and of course your food budget.

These are Courtyard Villa's one with lawn one without so water most likely would be the major difference.
What all did that include? The under $500 for a CYV just seems way low.

Thanks -
Bill
Old 01-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndhouse View Post
Can anyone confirm that the monthly expense figure that is shown on TV website is farily accurate? Basic expenses, taxes, monthly maintenance, insurance, elec., phone, cable, water they are showing about $1100 p/month.
I know this will vary and does not include personal expenses, food, etc but I am just curious if they are in the ballpark.

We will be relocating within a year or so and I would like to be as informed as I can be.
Here are some other fairly recent threads on the same topic:

What does it cost to live in The Villages?

Moving to the Villages - Part 1 See “Living Costs”

Can I really AFFORD TV?

I'm sure there are a number of other ones as well.

Hope that helps!

Bill
Old 01-14-2011, 01:47 PM
Sage

My mother lived in the historic area for 18 years until she croaked three years ago, she spent about $1,200 a month total on everything. Her house and car were paid off and she had free medical from Ford Motors retirement.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 01-14-2011, 01:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
My mother lived in the historic area for 18 years until she croaked three years ago, she spent about $1,200 a month total on everything. Her house and car were paid off and she had free medical from Ford Motors retirement.

chuck - Glad you had a good relationship with your mother. My mom would reach out of her grave and slap me silly/sillier if I referred to her passing as 'croaking'. She wasn't much for that type of humor, unfortunately....

Bill
Old 01-14-2011, 02:04 PM
Sage

TV folk all croak - that's why they call themselves "frogs"

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 01-14-2011, 02:07 PM
Sage

Househound:

I agree they are accurate and their are some variable expenses. I have read many posts on this forum to verify they are accurate numbers.

DickY
Veteran member Join Date: Jul 2007
My Patio Villa, 1190SF costs run (costs rounded up)
Taxes with homestead $2200 annual (includes bond)
Home owners Ins $ 690 annual
Pest control, lawn fertilize $500 annual
Newspaper Subscription $53 annual
Amenity, sewer, water, trash $ 200 monthly, $ 2400 annual
Cable, phone $150 monthly $1800 annual
Lawn mowing $40 monthly $480 annual
Electricity $90 monthly average $1080 annual
Powerwash siding $45 annual

One must create a lists of all expenses to know where one stands financially.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
TV folk all croak - that's why they call themselves "frogs"

That angle had totally escaped me! ('Duh' on my part)

Bill
Old 01-14-2011, 03:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
That angle had totally escaped me! ('Duh' on my part)

Bill
Me, too. I love it! My Mother would have liked that!
Old 01-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdeck View Post

I can believe those monthly figures if they don't include annual taxes and insurance and assuming the bond is paid off. Annual property tax, assessments, insurance and bond payments can add an additional $400 per month which would put the total pretty much in line with the numbers we've been talking about.

TV is surprising affordable with a lot of your expenses discretionary; i.e., dining out, shopping, cable packages, championship golf, etc. You can get by on $30K per year or live it up on $50K and nobody will know, or care, the difference.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:47 PM
Gold member

Quote:
chuck - Glad you had a good relationship with your mother. My mom would reach out of her grave and slap me silly/sillier if I referred to her passing as 'croaking'. She wasn't much for that type of humor, unfortunately....

Bill
Escaped me too. Now I get it.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Househound:

I agree they are accurate and their are some variable expenses. I have read many posts on this forum to verify they are accurate numbers.

DickY
Veteran member Join Date: Jul 2007
My Patio Villa, 1190SF costs run (costs rounded up)
Taxes with homestead $2200 annual (includes bond)
Home owners Ins $ 690 annual
Pest control, lawn fertilize $500 annual
Newspaper Subscription $53 annual
Amenity, sewer, water, trash $ 200 monthly, $ 2400 annual
Cable, phone $150 monthly $1800 annual
Lawn mowing $40 monthly $480 annual
Electricity $90 monthly average $1080 annual
Powerwash siding $45 annual

One must create a lists of all expenses to know where one stands financially.
I can vouch for the above figures. That's about what we pay. We do our own lawn so save a little there. Our taxes are slightly higher on a designer, but we have no bond so the annual is still around $2300 or so. There is an additional $500/year maintenance assessment The Villages tacks on which I don't see above. So you can say roughly $9000- $10,000/year, not including any mortgage payments.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:30 PM
Default Expenses

Quote:
What all did that include? The under $500 for a CYV just seems way low.

Thanks -
Bill
Sorry didn't get back but have not been on line. Both of these Villa's are CBS and are the 1400 sf three bedroom. No grass and very little trimming (owner takes care of). Therefor no big water bills and no grass cutting/trimming. Also, they live 8 months a year and I know our friends do not use air any more than have to (they like the fresh air). Both bonds are paid off and one is in Virginia Trace and the other is up at Bell Air.

That's about all we know except the guy in Virgina trace had an actual spread sheet showing all his expenses for the year. He was selling his house by owner so had all the detail including the warranty papers for everything in the house as well as what was added.

That's all I can go by and that is why I question when I see $1000 a month and someone else shows more like $500.

As far as living, I know your outside expenses are based on what your life style is. If you go out every day (we do) you will have a hard time living on $30000 but I know we can live on $50,000 even if we spent $800 or so on house expenses per month. But that is our life, every other persons expenses on that will be different.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.