Beaches

Closed Thread
Old 07-26-2017, 02:14 PM
Default Beaches

I love the Gulf Coast, my sweetie is a Cape May NJ girl, only wants to see the Atlantic. We've agreed to split our beach time between East and West. I know Daytona Beach is a couple of hours away, are there any other beaches on the Atlantic coast that are as nice or nicer?

If we head towards the Gulf, what beaches are over that way that we would enjoy?

As always, thanks.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick46 View Post
I love the Gulf Coast, my sweetie is a Cape May NJ girl, only wants to see the Atlantic. We've agreed to split our beach time between East and West. I know Daytona Beach is a couple of hours away, are there any other beaches on the Atlantic coast that are as nice or nicer?

If we head towards the Gulf, what beaches are over that way that we would enjoy?

As always, thanks.
We like New Smyrna Beach for a quick/short getaway. We stay at the Hampton Inn on Flagler and like the Flagler Tavern also. Straight across 42 to a left on 44. If your hat gets wet.... you went too far. (77 miles)
Old 07-26-2017, 02:44 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Bonita Beach.

It's a drive.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:40 PM
Sage

Lido beach or Anna Maria Island are gorgeous white sand
Old 07-27-2017, 12:57 AM

Clearwater, Maderia, Indian Rocks
Old 07-27-2017, 05:57 AM

Jetty Park at Cocoa Beach
Old 07-27-2017, 07:28 AM

Siesta beach, number 1 beach in the USA
Old 07-27-2017, 09:07 AM

The barrier Key islands off Sarasota and Bradenton all have fantastic beaches. They work at keeping them that way. The problem is they are 2 1/2 hours away. There are a lot of condos right on the beach, but generally not as crowded as Tampa/Clearwater. Peak season (March and July) are crowded everywhere. There appear to be a couple of beach areas just west of TV. They appear to be less developed and more rustic. Just seen pix, haven't actually. Been there.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:33 AM

The Villages Florida
Manasota Key or even Longboat Key
Old 07-27-2017, 05:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

When going to the Gulf coast straight west on SR 44 you'll arrive in the Crystal River - Homasassa Springs area. This is the southern end of the part of Florida called 'Big Bend', it's the curve from Panama City Beach around and down. Around the bend is mostly marsh and natural perserves and the little fishing town of Apalachicola is about the only town of size.

To reach a sandy beach, there are little spots here and there in Cirtrus County, but for the most part you need to turn south on US 19 and go into Hernando County near the town of Spring Hill and turn west on Hwy 50, or take I-75 south and exit Hwy 50 westbound, but you will have traffic going through Brooksville. Stay on route 50 and you will end up on a state park called Pine Island, not to be confused with the Pine Island near Ft. Myers. It's a beautiful beach and has facilities but not much in the way of commercial businesses.

Pine Island
The Villages Florida

You can continue south about 15 miles to Hudson and the first real beaches that are attached to the towns. In Hudson turn right on Clark St. and go straight ahead to Hudson Beach. It's a small beach used by the locals, I use to live in Spring Hill and went many times. It's has nice seafood/bar right on the beach playing Jimmy Buffet and Bob Marley on the speakers. However, it's not much, here's photo.

Hudson Beach
The Villages Florida

Be advised, Hwy 19 is a nightmare of non-stop businesses, malls, restaurants, so don't be in a hurry. To get to real beaches with motels, marinas, restaurants, etc you'll want to go to Clearwater Beach. Continue south through New Port Richey, Holiday, Tarpon Springs, Innisbrook Golf Resort, Palm Harbor, Dunedin, and then Clearwater turn right or west onto Hwy 60 and follow to the beach. This is a beautiful beach with everything, but can be crowded. Another way to go if you're not in the sightseeing mood is take I-75 south to Tampa and join I-275 into Tampa and then near the Tampa Int'l Airport look for Hwy 60 Courtney Campbell Causeway and get on that and take it all the way west.

Clearwater Beach
The Villages Florida

Once you're on the beach and if it's too crowded and you continue south and find beaches for the next 25 miles, they're will be Indian Rocks Beach, Reddington Beach, Maderia Beach (check out John's Pass Boardwalk while you're there), Treasure Island and then St. Petersburg Beach.

St. Petersburg Beach
The Villages Florida

Also there is a really neat state park called Ft. Desoto. It's a huge island and is located south of St. Pete Beach, you'll need to take Pinellas Bayway (small toll) as if you're headed back into St. Petersburg but then take the exit to Tierra Verde.

Fort Desoto State Park
The Villages Florida

Now you can skip Citrus, Hernando, Pasco and Pinellas Counties and all the beaches above and just stay on I-75 and go around Tampa and go to Bradenton and Sarasota and the beaches that others have recommended such as Siesta Key, St. Armands Key, Anna Maria Island and Long Boat Key. However the area around Sarasota can be more expensive just like areas further south around Naples.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:53 AM
Platinum member

We had a really nice quick getaway at Madeira beach. Stayed at the Shoreline Resort right on the beach with a kitchenette, pool, 2 big recliners, balcony and big TV with premium channels and a wonderful comfy king bed. Get best price on Trivago.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

For several years, Clearwater Beach was named the best beach in Florida. Last year it 2was named the best beach in the U.S.
After exploring several other options, it's the only beach we go to now.

It's a combination of it being a great beach and the convenience of getting there, the convenience of parking, food concessions and facilities.

I was very disappointed with the beaches on the east coast except for South Miami Beach which is too far away to travel to regularly.

Daytona and New Smyrna don't have very nice sand and no facilities. Daytona has a food truck on the beach and New Smyrna has a nice restaurant.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
When going to the Gulf coast straight west on SR 44 you'll arrive in the Crystal River - Homasassa Springs area. This is the southern end of the part of Florida called 'Big Bend', it's the curve from Panama City Beach around and down. Around the bend is mostly marsh and natural perserves and the little fishing town of Apalachicola is about the only town of size.

To reach a sandy beach, there are little spots here and there in Cirtrus County, but for the most part you need to turn south on US 19 and go into Hernando County near the town of Spring Hill and turn west on Hwy 50, or take I-75 south and exit Hwy 50 westbound, but you will have traffic going through Brooksville. Stay on route 50 and you will end up on a state park called Pine Island, not to be confused with the Pine Island near Ft. Myers. It's a beautiful beach and has facilities but not much in the way of commercial businesses.

Pine Island
The Villages Florida

You can continue south about 15 miles to Hudson and the first real beaches that are attached to the towns. In Hudson turn right on Clark St. and go straight ahead to Hudson Beach. It's a small beach used by the locals, I use to live in Spring Hill and went many times. It's has nice seafood/bar right on the beach playing Jimmy Buffet and Bob Marley on the speakers. However, it's not much, here's photo.

Hudson Beach
The Villages Florida

Be advised, Hwy 19 is a nightmare of non-stop businesses, malls, restaurants, so don't be in a hurry. To get to real beaches with motels, marinas, restaurants, etc you'll want to go to Clearwater Beach. Continue south through New Port Richey, Holiday, Tarpon Springs, Innisbrook Golf Resort, Palm Harbor, Dunedin, and then Clearwater turn right or west onto Hwy 60 and follow to the beach. This is a beautiful beach with everything, but can be crowded. Another way to go if you're not in the sightseeing mood is take I-75 south to Tampa and join I-275 into Tampa and then near the Tampa Int'l Airport look for Hwy 60 Courtney Campbell Causeway and get on that and take it all the way west.

Clearwater Beach
The Villages Florida

Once you're on the beach and if it's too crowded and you continue south and find beaches for the next 25 miles, they're will be Indian Rocks Beach, Reddington Beach, Maderia Beach (check out John's Pass Boardwalk while you're there), Treasure Island and then St. Petersburg Beach.

St. Petersburg Beach
The Villages Florida

Also there is a really neat state park called Ft. Desoto. It's a huge island and is located south of St. Pete Beach, you'll need to take Pinellas Bayway (small toll) as if you're headed back into St. Petersburg but then take the exit to Tierra Verde.

Fort Desoto State Park
The Villages Florida

Now you can skip Citrus, Hernando, Pasco and Pinellas Counties and all the beaches above and just stay on I-75 and go around Tampa and go to Bradenton and Sarasota and the beaches that others have recommended such as Siesta Key, St. Armands Key, Anna Maria Island and Long Boat Key. However the area around Sarasota can be more expensive just like areas further south around Naples.
John, thank you so much for taking the time to putall that information together for us. We have visited Florida many times over the years, but the majority of our time has been spent in the Ft. Myers, Naples, Marco Island area on the Gulf side and the Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm beach area on the Atlantic side.

I promise you that as soon as we get settled, we are going to start exploring some of these beautiful areas that you have told us about.

Thanks to everyone for all your information, we are so looking forward to becoming part of the Villages community. We will be arriving on Sept 1 to begin looking for our permanent home.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:08 AM

Just checked Google maps, Clearwater beach is only a 2 hour drive from the Villages. We're used to driving 3 hours to get to Cape May, 2 hours is nothing.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:30 PM
Veteran member

Love Pine Island Beach - Palm trees right on the beach for shade, great sand, no crowds and the closest beach to the Villages. They have picnic facilities, and a window service restaurant that has great food and drinks. I highly recommend it.
Snow Flake until I retire
Closed Thread

Tags
beaches, atlantic, beach, gulf, coast

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.