Bird feeders

Closed Thread
Old 05-07-2018, 10:51 AM
Default Bird feeders

We're finally wrapping up some of the big-ticket projects that needed to be done on our home after we bought it, and now it's time to concentrate on the finishing touches. My question is about bird feeders, which we've had at most of our previous homes. I've heard of no restrictions against them, but some people may not care for the noise or mess, so is it best to check with neighbors before putting one up? Also, the one negative about our last feeder in South Florida was that it attracted a lot of pigeons -- the ultimate dirty birds. Does that happen here? I've yet to see pigeons even in the town squares, but you never know. Thanks in advance for responses!
Old 05-07-2018, 11:11 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,323 Times in 1,439 Posts

Depending on where you want to place them you may need approval. I have seen no pigeons here but they do bring in rats and in some of the villages they are infested with them. I personally would not consider putting them out as I don't care for rats. Search the topic here to read more.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:15 AM

This Florida. We have palm/citrus/roof rats. They are small but inhabit the cord grass on the golf course and common area landscaping. If you put in feeders and you live near these you may attract them to your home. I know there are people who have not seen them, but a friend of mine just had his queens trimmed. Found out he had palm rats.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:27 AM
Veteran member

Bird feeders not only attract birds, they also attract rats, mice, and snakes. Since I don't want to attract those things, we don't feed the birds.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:37 PM
Platinum member

I like feeders...I enjoy the birds but I don't want rats so I just put out a small amount of feed each day
Old 05-07-2018, 03:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
I like feeders...I enjoy the birds but I don't want rats so I just put out a small amount of feed each day
The rats will get their share no matter the size of the portion....if not all of it!
Old 05-07-2018, 03:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
Bird feeders not only attract birds, they also attract rats, mice, and snakes...
A well-designed bird feeder takes care of pest issues.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

We don't have pigeons here, it's doves, we have lots of doves. We put out Safflower Seed, it's disliked by black birds, squirrels and loved by song birds and doves. Mainly Cardinals, finches and and Brown Thrashers plus many Doves eat the Safflower Seed. We have 3 Mockingbirds that live most of the time in our yard and we feed them grapes, probably 5-10 times a day if we're home, they sit on the patio table and look in. The Cardinals are the easiest to please, they'll eat the seed, the grapes and peanuts. The Mockingbird will chase away many other birds, for example I've seen him chase Blue Jays, and even other Mockingbirds besides the other two that he allows. We feed the black birds and the squirrels peanuts, unsalted for $2 a bag at Walmart. Since we have a CYV our backyard is like an enclosed habitat, and we have never seen any rats. We decided not to get a dog and the birds are our pets, and we don't have to worry about boarding them if we go away.

Safflower Seed you can buy at Wild Bird Center in the Crossroads Shopping Center between Best Buy and Kohls. Also Sparr Building Supply across from Brownwood, Pet Smart and Lowes had it when they opened but have not restocked it the last three months. Wild Bird Center is also a good place for nice bird feeder selection.
Closed Thread

Tags
pigeons, bird, feeders, south, florida

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.