Bird Feeders in Yard

Closed Thread
Old 08-27-2019, 12:39 PM
Default Bird Feeders in Yard

I'm in District 5..I have read the deed restrictions document but i didn't see anything about bird feeders i.e. hummingbird feeders not being allowed in yards. I am thinking its a no no in the front but maybe OK in the back yard. Your thoughts or experiences please.
Thanks in advance for your assistance!
Old 08-27-2019, 12:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,348 Times in 2,389 Posts

Community Standards
Phone: 352-751-3912
Old 08-27-2019, 03:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,655 Times in 938 Posts

Always call Community Standards.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,027 Times in 2,726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimemac48 View Post
I'm in District 5..I have read the deed restrictions document but i didn't see anything about bird feeders i.e. hummingbird feeders not being allowed in yards. I am thinking its a no no in the front but maybe OK in the back yard. Your thoughts or experiences please.
Thanks in advance for your assistance!
Not sure what abuts your back yard, but we and many of our neighbors have them in their back yard, which abuts a preserve. We love seeing the birds, but no longer put out the feeders as the bobcats hang out by the feeders and prey on the feeding birds.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:44 AM
Veteran member

If you're specifically planning on putting up hummingbird feeders, I wish you luck. You just don't see as many hummers in Florida as you do in other eastern states. I believe it has something to do with the difficulty in migration from Florida across the Gulf to Mexico. They can actually fly that distance (though they arrive nearly starved to death) but those that start further north, hug the coast and spend as little time and effort crossing the Gulf are probably more successful. To get our fix on hummers, my wife and I usually have to visit her sister in Arizona as they have much larger numbers of hummers and much greater variety.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:15 PM

I love having bird feeders in my backyard. It is wonderful to see different kinds of birds take advantage, especially rarer ones.

But trying to keep out all other types of critters and animals is an ongoing battle. I tried to get creative to stop squirrels from eating it all, and they outsmarted me a lot.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:19 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
If you're specifically planning on putting up hummingbird feeders, I wish you luck. You just don't see as many hummers in Florida as you do in other eastern states. I believe it has something to do with the difficulty in migration from Florida across the Gulf to Mexico. They can actually fly that distance (though they arrive nearly starved to death) but those that start further north, hug the coast and spend as little time and effort crossing the Gulf are probably more successful. To get our fix on hummers, my wife and I usually have to visit her sister in Arizona as they have much larger numbers of hummers and much greater variety.

Very interesting. Thanks for posting. I wasn’t aware of this.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,878 Times in 2,424 Posts

Birds, there birds around here? Had more birds 🦅 in Oklahoma than in my little area around here.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,878 Times in 2,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
I’m had more hummingbirds in day in Oklahoma than I see in year around here.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:27 PM
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ and our beautiful house in The Village of Hillsborough

There is another consideration with bird feeders. Bird seed attracts rodents. Rodents attract snakes...
Old 10-25-2019, 03:26 PM
Veteran member

I see hummingbirds in my bottle brush trees. We don't have any type of feeders out yet, either.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:43 PM

I was at an architecture committee meeting where they had a request for a birdfeeder on a pole. They were required to ask because it went in the ground. During the discussion one representative said he wondered if the applicant knew he could hang the feeder in a tree without running afoul of the deed restrictions.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:01 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

The tee box on #7 Havana, on 466a...............there are so many bird feeders, I have to wait for the flight pattern to clear before I can tee off!!!
Old 12-15-2019, 11:19 AM

I see so many posts with dire warnings and terrifying tales about putting up bird feeders.
Did you have bird feeders at your previous home / state? Was your yard or home infested with snakes, rats, mice, bugs, etc because you hung a bird feeder? Or did you simply enjoy watching the various birds n squirrels at them?
People enjoy issuing dire warnings that rarely happen anywhere, including here.
Think about it
Old 12-15-2019, 12:02 PM

The squirrels got more food than the birds when I had a feeder.
Closed Thread

Tags
feeders, yard, bird, thinking, front

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.