Block and Stucco Vs frame

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2017, 04:11 PM
Sage

This is the first home I've owned that was siding. First the insulation is way superior to CBS (cement block, stucco). I like having it pressure cleaned over expensive sealing and painting. I do like the looks of CBS homes over siding, looks richer. Also I felt safer in hurricanes in CBS but no longer live near to the coast and hope that will make up the difference in strength.
My peeve in this area is outside doors that open in. This is against strict Dade Co. codes since hurricane Andrew. This is a weak point and I only hope living a little in from the coast helps. Once a window or door is breached then the wind can get in and lift the roof.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,417 Times in 5,108 Posts

I would like to point out that many of the newer homes in The Villages have "poured in place" concrete walls with a thin "cement" finish (not stucco). This is different from concrete block walls with a stucco finish. Personally, I prefer this type construction because it is less prone to damage than either stucco or vinyl siding.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:25 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Yes, Stonecrest does build stucco over wood frame. I personally do not like this method, as there have been problems with this method IF not done correctly. I have inspected some of these homes. Weep screeds are very important.

Hardi Plank siding is fine, as long as it is installed per manufacturers recommendations. Actually, it is over exterior wall sheathing, house wrap, then Hardi Plank. The biggest two problems with cement siding is treating the butt ends correctly, spacing the gapping correctly, and making sure the nails are not driven too deep. I inspected a home up North years ago where the builder used a nail gun set to high to install the siding, drove the nails through the siding and the siding started falling off all over the home because it really was not attached well at all.

I do not see wood siding much in Florida, or in The Villages.

You do not find step cracking in solid poured concrete homes. I do however find vertical cracking.

You can always count on concrete to get hard, and to crack.

Frank
Old 03-18-2017, 06:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I live in block CYV. I'm still young enough to do most maintenance. I sealed and painted my house cost was 3 to 4 gallons of paint. Tub of sealer and about 14 hours labor rolling it on. So IMO if you can roll paint not that expensive to paint. Now if you have contractor do it with the deluted spray paint figure 5 to 7 grand. As mentioned little harder to upgrade and hang stuff. Also reception for AM radio is near non existent unless you run antenna. I feel safer in block home coming from Oklahoma. Tornados usually not as big or often here, but when hiding in the closet at least have walls protection unless it cat 3 or bigger. In Oklahoma I've seen nothing left except concrete slabs. Even sucked assault off the streets.
My friend had her Gardenia block and stucco home painted for $1200. I believe it included any crack sealing.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:39 PM

Thank you all for the info
Old 04-10-2017, 04:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member

When it comes to block verses vinyl all one has to do is take a look at each neighborhood. All majority block neighborhoods look like a million bucks, all vinyl neighborhoods don't.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:02 PM
Veteran member

My siding house was hit by the tornado in 2007. The stucco house 3 doors down was totally demolished. The stucco house behind me and down 2 had the roof lifted and set down 2 inches off. My siding house lost some siding and most of the not enclosed lanai. I sustained a hole in the roof because a propane tank (not mine) landed in my attic. Not sure that sided or stucco matters.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:11 AM
Sage

On our concrete block house the stucco over both the garage and the golf cart garage was applied over frame to form the gable. Moisture behind the stucco caused the stucco to bubble and had to be replaced at our cost. I would not want a total stucco house over frame.
Closed Thread

Tags
block, home, frame, stucco, compared

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.