Boston to Deluna

Closed Thread
Old 08-16-2022, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
Maybe you haven't heard of the petition that garnered over 200 signatures about the turnpike noise? Go to the other site and search the word petition.
That is from one area of one Village (Monarch Grove I believe). I can see the trucks on the turnpike out my front door but usually literally hear nothing inside the house. We do hear it on our front lanai but it’s not so loud as to bother us.

There are lots of neighborhoods in the southern area that are not that close at all to the turnpike, yet every time someone mentions buying down here there are the “regulars” that always have to jump on immediately and throw shade on their choice, without even knowing how close they may or may not actually be to the turnpike. There seems to be a narrative that every house everywhere south of the 44 can hear the turnpike noise and nothing could be further from the truth.

We took a drive around DeLuna the other day. It is a beautiful community and it is HUGE so, while there are some houses that are close to the highway there are certainly many more, the great majority I would say, that have enough separation from it that they likely will hear little to nothing.

I don’t know what it is about the idea of our mere existence down here that makes some of you so crazy, but I promise you that the vast majority of us are enjoying our homes and lives here just as much as you are up there in the north and we really don’t need anyone to tell us how we should feel about it. I think we can figure it out for ourselves since we're the ones that actually live down here.

Last edited by Oldragbagger; 08-16-2022 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagesDeLunatics View Post
Just bought a home in DeLuna, never been to the villages but can’t wait to get there Sept.17th. Can’t wait to meet you all.
That’s a nice area. Welcome to The Villages. You’ll like it here but you may stop using this site quickly. There are some very negative people here and they’re ALWAYS commenting. You won’t hear any traffic noise or any noise for that matter. You’re so close to Brownwood. PS. I also bought my place without ever seeing it. I think quite a bit of the newer people do.
Old 08-16-2022, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,367 Times in 2,395 Posts

Isn’t there another thread for folks living north of 44 to bash the south with their noise, etc. posts?
Old 08-16-2022, 01:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,046 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
That’s a nice area. Welcome to The Villages. You’ll like it here but you may stop using this site quickly. There are some very negative people here and they’re ALWAYS commenting. You won’t hear any traffic noise or any noise for that matter. You’re so close to Brownwood. PS. I also bought my place without ever seeing it. I think quite a bit of the newer people do.
The south is a nice place to live but areas close to the turnpike can be rather noisy.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Roxbury but lived next to Brockton in Holbrook for last 20 yrs
Do you play golf? I live in St John’s, not too far from DeLuna.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Roxbury but lived next to Brockton in Holbrook for last 20 yrs
Dorchester here, I'll be teeing it up in your old neighborhood at Franklin Park this weekend.
Old 08-18-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Do you play golf? I live in St John’s, not too far from DeLuna.
I don’t but intend to take it up.
Old 08-18-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkman View Post
Dorchester here, I'll be teeing it up in your old neighborhood at Franklin Park this weekend.
Nice. Stop by Simco on the bridge. I’ll miss those dogs.
Old 08-18-2022, 12:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the warm welcome
Welcome

I came down from west of Boston...been in TV over 5 years now. Lots to do here to keep you active. Everyone seems to be friendly with everyone else.

There is no good Chinese food anywhere in Florida...not like we had in MA

There are a few MA related clubs here...Red Sox Nation, NE Patriots Fan Club and a Bay State Club

It takes a while to get used to FL...I still miss the fall season, but not raking leaves or the snow and ice that come later.
Old 08-18-2022, 02:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
Welcome

I came down from west of Boston...been in TV over 5 years now. Lots to do here to keep you active. Everyone seems to be friendly with everyone else.

There is no good Chinese food anywhere in Florida...not like we had in MA

There are a few MA related clubs here...Red Sox Nation, NE Patriots Fan Club and a Bay State Club

It takes a while to get used to FL...I still miss the fall season, but not raking leaves or the snow and ice that come later.
Have you tried Kayame? Best one we have found here.
Old 08-19-2022, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Have you tried Kayame? Best one we have found here.
Problem with Chinese food is its regional. Close friends own 3 restaurants in different states. Even though they are of same family their entrees while close with same names, but slightly different. It’s about what is available ingredients wise.
Dishes you have in one state, doesn’t exist in another state. We travel a lot for work and out of over 20 states there were only a few dishes that had the same name. However none of them tasted the same or looked the same. One just has to adapt to Asian food in Florida.
Old 08-19-2022, 11:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
Maybe you haven't heard of the petition that garnered over 200 signatures about the turnpike noise? Go to the other site and search the word petition.
One person with a complaint. 199 people who said, "Sure, I'll sign your petition. Why not, it's free."
Old 08-19-2022, 02:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Problem with Chinese food is its regional. Close friends own 3 restaurants in different states. Even though they are of same family their entrees while close with same names, but slightly different. It’s about what is available ingredients wise.
Dishes you have in one state, doesn’t exist in another state. We travel a lot for work and out of over 20 states there were only a few dishes that had the same name. However none of them tasted the same or looked the same. One just has to adapt to Asian food in Florida.
Interesting. I would think that spices give the food their particular flavor and would be available nationwide. Ingredients I would imagine are also nationwide with possible differences based on the season.
Old 08-19-2022, 02:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
One person with a complaint. 199 people who said, "Sure, I'll sign your petition. Why not, it's free."
I think people close to the turnpike do have a problem with noise but than again what did they expect. Think a lot of names on this petition are probably legitimate complaints but do not expect the developer to do what they want at his expense.
Old 08-20-2022, 04:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
The south is a nice place to live but areas close to the turnpike can be rather noisy.
I’m in Hawkins and would never consider it noisy. As a matter of fact, my dog sitter stayed for 2 weeks and commented on how quiet it is here. Personally, my only criteria was no major road or multi modal path behind me. That’s what’s so great here, there are plenty of areas to choose from.
Closed Thread

Tags
wait, deluna, can’t, boston, meet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.