brownwwod

Closed Thread
Old 11-03-2017, 11:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Y View Post
Its a shame that businesses have not been able to make it in Brownwood. I heard that well as rent they pay a percentage of their gross
The rent is not the reason why businesses fail in TV.
Every lease has spelled out in it exactly what the terms are and for what length of time.

The so called villages percentage is in many leases tied to a significantly higher revenue number than most businesses expect to realize. As a matter of specifics, in leases I have seen the businesses would be happy to pay a percent if they ever achieved that level of business....gladly!

The problem is not the rent!
Old 11-03-2017, 12:02 PM

Two of my favorite shops are at Brownwood: The Rustic Rose and Kylie's Kloset. I would love to see more stores there. One of the things I love about Marco Island Florida is the unique shops in each of the small strip malls throughout the island. They seem to be able to survive with seasonal ebb and flow. I certainly hope Brownwood grows and prospers. The seating for nightly music is the best of all three squares.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
Brownwood is successful and will only grow to be more successful in the future. My crystal ball says that in 10 or 15 or maybe 20 years SR44 from Wildwood to Rohan to the Lake County line and 468 from Rohan to the Turnpike will be a booming business district not unlike what 27/441 looks like today.

None of us know what the developer has planned but they most certainly have a grand master plan laid out as evident by all the announced growth and building south of SR44. It's not greed, it's business, they are developers and they are developing property, that's their business and their business model works.
Like that brilliant idea of moving Katie Belle's upstairs to make room for retail space that STILL sits empty?
Which, by the way sits 2 blocks from that booming business district on 441.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Y View Post
Its a shame that businesses have not been able to make it in Brownwood. I heard that well as rent they pay a percentage of their gross
Wrong!
Old 11-04-2017, 07:09 AM
Sage

You also have to consider national retail trends that have been developing while the Brownwood area has been built. Brick and mortar stores are on the way out. Online sales are taking over for just about every facet of retail. Even Walmart has purchased a delivery/distribution service to compete with Amazon. I would bet banks are reluctant to finance new merchandising efforts that rely on foot traffic.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
It will be fine. LSL was the same way as it was growing up.
I had the same attitude when it first opened, but it's been five years now. Did LSL take five years to fill up?

I always questioned the location. It's at what is now pretty much the end of The Villages other then Fenny. It's three miles between SS and LSL but eight miles between LSL and Brownwood. It always seemed to me that it would have been better somewhere between LSL and where it is now.

But who knows. It seems that we now know that their long-term plans have been to expand well south of 44. Maybe they weren't planning on it being full until the development between Fenny and Brownwood is closer to completion.

Then I heard that Brownwood wasn't actually built with The Villages in mind. They were hoping to attract people from Wildwood.

Only the powers that be really know what's going on and they seem pretty secretive until they are ready to begin building.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I had the same attitude when it first opened, but it's been five years now. Did LSL take five years to fill up?

I always questioned the location. It's at what is now pretty much the end of The Villages other then Fenny. It's three miles between SS and LSL but eight miles between LSL and Brownwood. It always seemed to me that it would have been better somewhere between LSL and where it is now.

But who knows. It seems that we now know that their long-term plans have been to expand well south of 44. Maybe they weren't planning on it being full until the development between Fenny and Brownwood is closer to completion.

Then I heard that Brownwood wasn't actually built with The Villages in mind. They were hoping to attract people from Wildwood.

Only the powers that be really know what's going on and they seem pretty secretive until they are ready to begin building.
"It's at what is now pretty much the end of The Villages other then Fenny."

Other than Fenney? How about the 11,000 homes which will comprise Southern Oaks? Why would it be beneficial to build it closer to LSL?
Old 11-04-2017, 10:47 AM
Sage
Default brownwwod

Brownwood is not attractive, IMHO. Not enough large shade trees, NO water feature, NO town square ( simply a tiny outdoor entertainment venue ) It’s just not inviting at all, not even the huge billboards are inviting, a steer ? It simply lacks attractiveness. They cheaped out on the town square but paid too much for bronze cattle. That money could have been better spent. Not everyone is in agreement with honoring the cattle industry in a Florida retirement setting.
It also lacks the energy felt in the other town squares. I don’t think a hotel and medical facilities will do anything for this brown elephant. IMHO
It might do better as a children’s western theme park. Tear down the stadium seating and add a playground jungle gym. Charge admission so the kids can play cowboys, get deputized and chase bank robbers, build a small water park for summer time fun. The grandkids won’t want to leave.
Full disclosure, we are full time residents south of 466A and frequent LSL & Spanish Springs even though Brownwood is in our “backyard”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Wiotte; 11-04-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
Brownwood is not attractive, IMHO. Not enough large shade trees, NO water feature, NO town square ( simply a tiny outdoor entertainment venue ) It’s just not inviting at all, not even the huge billboards are inviting, a steer ? It simply lacks attractiveness. They cheaped out on the town square but paid too much for bronze cattle. That money could have been better spent. Not everyone is in agreement with honoring the cattle industry in a Florida retirement setting.
It also lacks the energy felt in the other town squares. I don’t think a hotel and medical facilities will do anything for this brown elephant. IMHO
It might do better as a children’s western theme park. Tear down the stadium seating and add a playground jungle gym. Charge admission so the kids can play cowboys, get deputized and chase bank robbers, build a small water park for summer time fun. The grandkids won’t want to leave.

Which is why there are two other squares....you have choices. Those that enjoy Brownwood won't miss those that don't and will enjoy the space with those that do. When the next town square is built we can have these conversations all over again.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 11-04-2017, 12:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Which is why there are two other squares....you have choices. Those that enjoy Brownwood won't miss those that don't and will enjoy the space with those that do. When the next town square is built we can have these conversations all over again.

Good point. I just hope it won’t have a childish theme.

Old 11-04-2017, 01:48 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,595 Times in 1,759 Posts

Quote:
Full disclosure, we are full time residents south of 466A and frequent LSL & Spanish Springs even though Brownwood is in our “backyard”.

Well, at least with bronze cattle they don't have to clean up cow pies.

What might really get Brownwood going would be to stage cowboy style gunfights like they do at Old Town Plaza in Albuquerque, NM. New Mexico, Albuquerque, Gunfight in Old Town Albuquerque | A Year on the Road

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 11-04-2017, 01:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:

Yea, you are right the Developer ran out of money after buying the bronzes.
Who is everyone not in agreement?
Children's western theme park....is a nutty, far fetched opinion or did you forget the smiley face?.
Did you move to The Villages in May 2017?
Old 11-05-2017, 07:21 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,106 Times in 1,338 Posts

I like having 3 different towns. I visit and enjoy each town.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:15 AM
Veteran member

i go to none of the town squares
Old 11-05-2017, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I live close to LSL so that is my local square and I love being there. IMHO what makes LSL is the coffee shops - Panera's and Starbucks. They are both great places to just sit and watch people. Maybe Brownwood would benefit from a Coffee shop!

I also think the design of the other two squares is more appealing. Personally, I like the effect of a central entertainment area surrounded by stores.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Last edited by Madelaine Amee; 11-05-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
brownwood, empty, small, news, paper

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.