New Guy

Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Default New Guy

Hello,
I am a new guy to this forum. We spent 3 days with a friend in TV. She has only been there a month. It seems TV has most of the bases covered. We lived in Florida 50 years, then,my wife wanted to move near her brother in West Tn. We have been here 3 years. I very much miss the Heat,Mosquitos,
and High Property Taxes,so we are trying to get back. I do not Golf. TV seems a little(actually a lot) slanted to Golf. This forum is great and seems to tell it like it is. Looking foward to moving South maybe to TV.

Best,
Rocketman39
(Bill)
Old 01-23-2011, 02:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,349 Times in 2,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman39 View Post
Hello,
I am a new guy to this forum. We spent 3 days with a friend in TV. She has only been there a month. It seems TV has most of the bases covered. We lived in Florida 50 years, then,my wife wanted to move near her brother in West Tn. We have been here 3 years. I very much miss the Heat,Mosquitos,
and High Property Taxes,so we are trying to get back. I do not Golf. TV seems a little(actually a lot) slanted to Golf. This forum is great and seems to tell it like it is. Looking foward to moving South maybe to TV.

Best,
Rocketman39
(Bill)
Property taxes are reasonable in TV.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:13 PM
Veteran member

Welcome, new guy.

TV is a lot slanted towards golf. But there are a lot of non-golfers here as well. And I've played with many folks who decided to take up golf after moving here. And, even if you decide you never want to chase that little ball all over these courses, you will still enjoy the beauty and wildlife sightings as you drive by in your golf cart on the way to shopping or dining.

I read somewhere that bowling is actually the #1 activity in TV. And then there's pickle ball, tennis, swimming, billiards, softball, archery and approximately 2,000 other clubs and/or activities to choose from.

TV is a lot more than golf. You've got to see it to believe it.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:13 PM
Sage

Obviously, there are many golf courses, but there is so much more to do.

Link to clubs in The Villages: http://www.districtgov.org/images/ClubsListing.pdf

Link to the weekly Recreation News: Plenty to do. Look at the last page which shows the neighborhood pools, recreation centers, etc.: http://www.thevillagesdailysun.com/a...es/recnews.pdf

Link to the Lifelong Learning College: http://www.thevillageslifelongcollege.com
Old 01-23-2011, 02:23 PM
Veteran member

Welcome to TOTV. This is a great site and there is alot of information on the site if you are interested in moving to TV. Neither my husband nor I play golf and we love it here. Where else can you ride a golf cart to Walmart, twirl a baton, dance at a square, play pickleball, and watch a golf cart go by being driven by a clown.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:24 PM
Default New Guy

Actually that was a joke. We previously lived in Brevard county(Melbourne). We had an 1800 sqft House on one acre. Tax $1800. Here in Tennessee we have an 1800 sqft House on one acre. Tax $815. No State Income Tax like Fl.
Once we were here,we discovered the 9 3/4% Sales tax. It's even on Food.
All those Retirement sites only give you the up side, not the down.
Rule of thumb,we discovered Tennessee is no cheaper to live than Good Old FLA.
Best,
Bill
Old 01-23-2011, 03:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2newyorkers View Post
Welcome to TOTV. This is a great site and there is alot of information on the site if you are interested in moving to TV. Neither my husband nor I play golf and we love it here. Where else can you ride a golf cart to Walmart, twirl a baton, dance at a square, play pickleball, and watch a golf cart go by being driven by a clown.
Hey... who are you calling a clown???
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Actually that was a joke. We previously lived in Brevard county(Melbourne). We had an 1800 sqft House on one acre. Tax $1800. Here in Tennessee we have an 1800 sqft House on one acre. Tax $815. No State Income Tax like Fl.
Best,
Bill
I'll bet that hurricane insurance is cheaper in Tennessee than it is in Florida. It was certainly cheaper in New Mexico than what we paid when we lived near the Florida coast. Not really an issue here in TV.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:36 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

I like to golf and that is one of the attractions of TV for me. However, my better half does not golf and never liked Florida but reluctantly agreed to come on a lifestyle preview last April. She fell in love with the lifestyle, the entertainment at the squares, the dancing, the activities, and now is anxious to sell here in Missouri and buy in TV. In my opinion, golf would not be the primary reason to move here, there are a lot of places where you can play golf as much as you want. The prime motivator for me is the lifestyle in general. Here in northern Mo. there is almost nothing to do out of doors in the winter - at least when I lived in N.D. or Mn. people were active in the winter because it was long and predictable. The attraction to TV for me comes from being able to do something every hour of almost every day indoors and outdoors and have plenty of structured and unstructured activities that I can enjoy. At my age (65) I think it is important to stay as active and stimulated as possible and that is what TV offers. As far as the cost of living is concerned, I beleive it is pretty moderate.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:46 PM
Sage

PLENTY of stuff to do in (and around) TV, including golf. Go to most other 55+ communities and they'll have some activities, a couple of tennis courts, shuffleboard perhaps, a swimming pool, a golf course (or two), and an activities center/building..........for whatever their HOA/monthly fee might be. At TV, you get all the above cloned to the tune of who-knows-how-many (over 30 golf courses right now, several types of pools everywhere you turn, and so on).........for $135 a month!! And that doesn't include all the groups, clubs, etc. that you can join. Just sooooo much variety. And there is other community-based infrastructure everywhere you turn: stores of all descriptions, restaurants, gas stations, every type of service-oriented business you can imagine..........and on and on.

TV certainly isn't going to be the place for everybody. But for those looking for a modest cost of living with social and recreational options in abundance, you can't beat it!

Bill
Old 01-23-2011, 04:19 PM

Property taxes are cheaper than where I came from.

I've yet to be bitten by a mosquito in TV.

Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.

Anonymous
Old 01-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Default Fl Income Tax

Quote:
Best,
Bill
There is NO income tax in Florida.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:17 PM
Sage

Hi Rocketman,
Welcome to TOTV!

When we move to TV full time, sometimes I wonder if I will still have time to golf as much. There are more wonderful activities in TV-- fully covered by the amenities fee-- than there are days in a month!
Old 03-28-2011, 06:00 AM
Default Cost of living

When I compare prices here in Montgomery (10% sales tax, state income tax, but low property tax -$613 on 2300sq ft) to TV, we are still longing to move there, regardless of property taxes. We've made about 6 or 7 visits and have even talked my golfing buddy into moving down. He has come with us about 4 times now.

I've been accused of being a paid ambassador for TV. I've loving learning to use the Post and using TOTV more. Been reading the posts for several months, but just now becoming an active user!

John
Old 03-28-2011, 06:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Hi Rocketman

Welcome to TOTV....One thing not mentioned, all the GREAT people, from every nationality and everyone has caught the "HAPPY" bug....This is truly paradise on earth....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.