Maintenance: Stucco vs. Siding

Closed Thread
Old 06-27-2011, 07:17 PM
Default Maintenance: Stucco vs. Siding

We are trying to evaluate maintenance cost, siding vs stucco. We know that both need to be power washed periodically. We understand that the stucco needs to be painted every six to eight years. True? If so, cost of painting an Iris or Lily. Any other considerations would be appreciated.
B&BTexas
Old 06-28-2011, 11:49 AM
Default Maintenance

We have lived in our villa that has siding for over two years. We have only had to have it power washed maybe once a year. I think we have been paying around $30 a time.

My husband refused to buy stucco. He retired from a construction-related business and he did not want the upkeep of stucco. You have to paint it, and it can (usually does) crack in places and you have to do more repairs. It looks good, though, and if you don't mind the upkeep, it may work for you.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the info. I have been told that the difference in insulation value is minimal.
B&BTexas
Old 06-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Veteran member
Default Stucco vs siding

Is it safer to be in a stucco house during high winds?
Will there be less damage to a stucco house (block construction) vs a frame house during high winds?

Those are the questions I've asked myself.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljetmet View Post
Is it safer to be in a stucco house during high winds?
Will there be less damage to a stucco house (block construction) vs a frame house during high winds?

Those are the questions I've asked myself.
I asked the same questions, and decided to look at only block/stucco. To each his/her own.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Platinum member

We have owned both type homes in TV. I find our block home easier to maintain and much cheaper for utilities. I also feel more secure. Good luck!
Old 06-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Platinum member

When I built in late 2004, it was a no-brainer for me: block & stucco.

Perhaps influenced by having lived in brick houses for as long as I could remember. Perhaps influenced by a sense of strength and stability in a block & stucco property in an area where hurricanes might come!

I also made sure that my blocks were insulated, with a spray-in substance.
I no longer have any idea how much "extra" this may have cost me, and, frankly, that was not a consideration when I was making decisions about the new house which would be my very last one!

After six years, I'm beginning to see some issues that may well require a "substantial" repair/rebuild layout! I haven't yet done any "power wash," but I am thinking about a re-painting, at least at sometime within the next three years!

When I built, the stick/siding Designer homes were not all that terribly much less expensive. I've no idea how the difference might play out, today.

SWR
Old 06-28-2011, 03:40 PM
Default Siding

Both have advantages. Having both, we found it much easier to do 'changes' in a sided house. But one thing we found is that the siding does become brittle as it gets older.

The cement type is harder to make changes,run wires etc. but does hold up.
Now saying that, they are not maintainace free and do get cracked from age or settle factors.

Like everything talked about here, it's what you want and what you feel comfortable with for now and the future.

aj
Old 06-28-2011, 03:55 PM

We lived 19 years in a block and stucco house in Sarasota and painted it every 5 years. We have a house with vinyl siding in The Villages - given a choice I would have taken a block and stucco home as I think they are more attractive but we found the house we liked in the location we wanted and that was the only feature lacking.

If you decide to clean your block and stucco home I would suggest you use a bucket of soapy water and an extendable deck brush to wash it down and then hose it off with a regular hose. Power washers are the tool of choice for removing stucco - it doesn't take much pressure in a crack to pop the stucco clean off the wall. Personally I find people do a lot of damage with pressure washers.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:34 PM

The answer you are seeking is, on some level, subjective. Our home in MA has Vinyl siding and its big benefit is that it requires less maintenance. However, when we looked for our next home in TV, a stucco style home was a priority because that was the look we were seeking. In our case, the decision was completely personal. We just liked the look and we were not going to compromise.

Another consideration is how well your home will hold up in adverse weather. The way a contractor explained the differences between vinyl and block stucco to me was during a tornado, a block stucco or cement home provides better protection than wood/vinyl siding. I'm not stating this as a fact, but it seems to make sense.

As with most things in life, there are pluses and minuses.

Dan
Natick, MA
Village of Buttonwood 1/12/11
Old 06-28-2011, 11:40 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

What about building codes.........anyone know what they are for The Villages?

I was under the impression that after hurricane Andrew strick codes were instituted in Florida.

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 06-29-2011, 11:08 AM
Veteran member
Default Building codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleevee View Post
What about building codes.........anyone know what they are for The Villages?

I was under the impression that after hurricane Andrew strick codes were instituted in Florida.
It is my understanding that Florida has adopted the Dade county (Miami) codes. Therefore anything built after 2000 should be fine in TV.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:38 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

www.floridabuilding.org

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 06-29-2011, 02:43 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowleesCreekYachtClub View Post
We lived 19 years in a block and stucco house in Sarasota and painted it every 5 years. We have a house with vinyl siding in The Villages - given a choice I would have taken a block and stucco home as I think they are more attractive but we found the house we liked in the location we wanted and that was the only feature lacking.

If you decide to clean your block and stucco home I would suggest you use a bucket of soapy water and an extendable deck brush to wash it down and then hose it off with a regular hose. Power washers are the tool of choice for removing stucco - it doesn't take much pressure in a crack to pop the stucco clean off the wall. Personally I find people do a lot of damage with pressure washers.

Also power washing can create a break in window and glass inserted doors
seals. If you do decide to build/buy vinyl I suggest you ask what guage of vinyl is being applied...the higher the number the stronger the panel
Old 06-29-2011, 02:45 PM
Sage

Actually, the entire state adopted the SBCCI (southern building code conference) code a couple or three years after Andrew. The question "what is the building code in the villages", requires a very complex answer. Any local building code is only as good as the building inspectors. Also, it is always superceded by the life safety code(as determined by the local fire marshall). All that being said, the sbcci code requires that wood frame buildings withstand the same wind values as cbs buildings. The only major discernable difference would be penetration by flying objects.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.