buying a home in the villages

Closed Thread
Old 12-30-2010, 06:54 PM
Default buying a home in the villages

Now we are looking at a home in the village of Santiago, can anyone tell me how far this is from the squares ? We have visited 3 times and cannot remember the area ? Has anyone ever bought a home without looking at it. We have friends in Lady Lake and they said they will ck it out for us. We fell in love with tv and can't wait till we can retire . Thanks for your input.....
Old 12-30-2010, 07:11 PM
Veteran member
Default Google Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by babspadget View Post
Now we are looking at a home in the village of Santiago, can anyone tell me how far this is from the squares ? We have visited 3 times and cannot remember the area ? Has anyone ever bought a home without looking at it. We have friends in Lady Lake and they said they will ck it out for us. We fell in love with tv and can't wait till we can retire . Thanks for your input.....
Type in the address to Google maps and then click on Earth on the right side.. You can then do a very detailed look at not only your house but the entire villages. I just love Google Earth.
Spanish Springs is a mile or two east of Santiago. Sumter Landing is more like 6 miles or so southeast. Those distances are just estimates.

Have your friends check and photograph room by room and the outside for you, and email you the pics. Tell them to take lots of pictures of everything. If a neighbor would allow them to use their wireless internet, they could take a laptop and do a live walk through and chat with you as they do it.
JJ
Old 12-30-2010, 07:17 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

It really depends where in Santiago. If you're close to Enrique, you're about 10-15 minutes to Spanish Springs via golf cart. Once you learn the short cuts, 15-20 minutes to LSL. By car figure 5 minutes to SS; 8-10 to LSL. If you're close to the Polo Fields/pastures for the horses, add 5 minutes to get up to Enrique and on your way. If you're close to Chapperal, deduct 5 minutes for LSL.

Basically, Santiago is between Morse and Buena Vista, but a tad closer to Buena Vista. It is near El Camino Real. Hope this helps a little.

I think many have bought sight unseen. I know of three (all pre-owned, one in the historic side) and none of them have regretted it. I almost did but the home inspection convinced me it was a very bad idea.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

our friends bought in the village of silver lake sight unseen and have not regretted one single day!

the homes in santiago are lovely! i enjoy going to yard sales there! neighborhoods have the benefit of mature landscaping and i really like the spanish influence of the homes.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:42 PM
Veteran member
Default Santiago

Santiago is a very nice community. The El Santiago Club is small and not fancy but has good food. The El Diablo executive golf course is a Level 3 and is one of my favorites.

I just about bought a home in Santiago that was backing up to the El Diablo course but then I noticed the high tension power lines that I thought were too close. Some people, me included, believe they can cause health problems.

I bought a home in Glenview on the Fox Run golf course.

I would agree on the times and distances mentioned by Redwitch. As far as buying sight unseen, personally, I would never do that. I have friends who did and had no problems, though.

Glad to see people looking at re-sales. Very smart move over new homes.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:30 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by babspadget View Post
We will be closing on a pre-owned home on Jan 18th that we have not personally seen except for the virtual tour on the TV website, and we will not see it until at least the day before we close.

We have friends already in TV and they did stear us away from a couple of not so great pre-owned homes that we were interested in before they gave us rave reviews on the one that we chose. The home inspection proved out their opinions and the inspector make a verbal comment to our friends that the house was in better shape than most! Always good to hear something like that!

If you trust your friends, go for it. Just make sure to tell them to be frank in their opinion. Good luck!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 12-30-2010, 11:15 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

There are 4 things in TV that I would not buy near. This is just my personal opinion as I am sure there are many beautiful homes and great people near these things. I will not buy a home near or where I can see the power lines that run through TV and they do run through Santiago. I would not buy a home close to the railroad tracks. Some folks love the sound of trains, I do as well , but from a distance. I will not buy a home that backs to a busy street. And I will not buy a home near a sewage treatment plant.

For those four reasons, in that villages, I would want to see the home. Might be fine and you might be able to determine your OK from google earth, but if it was me I would want to see it. Flights are really cheap as compared to the cost of a house.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:36 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I will not buy a home near or where I can see the power lines that run through TV and they do run through Santiago.
Earlier this evening I was reading what I though was an excellent article on just this topic. For those that are interested in reading it, CLICK HERE!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 01-01-2011, 08:32 AM
Veteran member
Default Brownwood completion

Does anyone have a idea when brownwood will be complete:
Old 01-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
There are 4 things in TV that I would not buy near. This is just my personal opinion as I am sure there are many beautiful homes and great people near these things. I will not buy a home near or where I can see the power lines that run through TV and they do run through Santiago. I would not buy a home close to the railroad tracks. Some folks love the sound of trains, I do as well , but from a distance. I will not buy a home that backs to a busy street. And I will not buy a home near a sewage treatment plant.

For those four reasons, in that villages, I would want to see the home. Might be fine and you might be able to determine your OK from google earth, but if it was me I would want to see it. Flights are really cheap as compared to the cost of a house.
Although not quite as obvious as the items mentioned above, I would also make every effort to avoid some of the larger transformers that are in some backyards. These transformers have also been known to give off radiation and electromagnetic interference (or EMI).
Old 01-01-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdawg View Post
Does anyone have a idea when brownwood will be complete:
When we were in TV in November, we were told that TV would be built out in the next four years when Brownwood is complete. I asked if this meant that if someone wanted a new home in TV, they would have to purchase in the next four years. The answer was yes and that once build out is complete, only pre-owned homes would be available for purchase and that this should help the sales of pre-owned homes in TV.

If this timeline is held to and you want a new home in TV, then you should consider buying in the next few years. Of course, things could change but that is what we were told in November 2010.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:55 PM
Veteran member

I have good friends who live in El Santiago, they love it. They moved from Woodbury, to be closer the El Santiago clubhouse. I dont think they would ever move again
Old 01-01-2011, 07:40 PM

We lived in Santiago and it is pretty much in the center of everything. You will learn the short cuts to all after you are here and running around in your Golf Cart.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.