Buying Parcel and Building

Closed Thread
Old 04-23-2018, 10:56 AM
Default Buying Parcel and Building

Can someone give me a quick explanation of buying a lot and building on it? Specifically, can we build whatever model we wish to on the lot that we choose? I am trying to figure out if we can choose the model (I happen to really like "Iris") and then buy a nicely located lot on which to build it. We will be visiting in June and are trying to best use our time that we have by asking questions before we arrive.
Thank you!
Old 04-23-2018, 11:06 AM
Sage

The size of the lot might limit which models you can build. In other words, some models might have too big of a footprint to fit on the lot and meet all setback requirements.

For example we knew we wanted to build a Sunkist with a golf cart garage. Some lots weren't wide enough for this.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spice12725 View Post
Specifically, can we build whatever model we wish to on the lot that we choose? !
It's hard to say exactly what you will be able to build. Except for the Historic District what you can build is specified in the covenants for the lot. Every group of lots has different covenants. For example if you chose a lot on Conservation Trail you will have to build a Premiere.

If you buy a new lot from The Villages you will have to use the Villages builders. And you can only buy a new lot from Villages Properties, i.e. the Villages sales people.

You are also limited by the size of the lot and the setback on it too. So you might be able to build an Iris but you might not be able to stretch it, that is make a room bigger. For example you might want to stretch the garage.

You might not be able to add a pool, if the lot isn't big enough.

So if you want an Iris and maybe stretch some of it let your sales person know before you come down so you won't waste any time when you get here. If you don't have a sales person yet call up Villages Properties and get one. They will be your best source of info about what you can build.

Also the lots that are available today won't be the ones available in June when you come here.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Can someone give me a quick explanation of buying a lot and building on it? Specifically, can we build whatever model we wish to on the lot that we choose? I am trying to figure out if we can choose the model (I happen to really like "Iris") and then buy a nicely located lot on which to build it. We will be visiting in June and are trying to best use our time that we have by asking questions before we arrive.
Thank you!
Do you have a contact in the Sales Department? They can easily answer this and any other questions you may have. The are helpful and no high pressure.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:02 PM

Thank you all for your answers...very helpful. Yes, we do have a salesperson. I'm just being impatient and lazy. Thank you all for your time and answering my question. We are excited! My husband visited about 15 years ago and loved it. He says I will too. :-)
Old 04-23-2018, 12:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Everybody has their own ideas and tastes, but one of the newer designers I've noticed is the Indigo. We have ads in the Sun all the time for On top of the World, Arlington Ridge, etc. I've noticed they often show an island that is straight and not curved like so many of the Villages models seem to do. When I had my kitchen remodeled up north I had a 10' island bar that was straight and loved that design. Here's that floorplan;

The Villages Florida
Old 04-23-2018, 12:37 PM

Thank you. I like this one!
Old 04-23-2018, 12:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Thank you all for your answers...very helpful. Yes, we do have a salesperson. I'm just being impatient and lazy. Thank you all for your time and answering my question. We are excited! My husband visited about 15 years ago and loved it. He says I will too. :-)
If you have never visited I would recommend renting for at least a month. One loved this place in 07, I not so much. We bought in 2010. While one is here 10 months out of the year, I still work and am up north 9 months. I do like it here, but not in love.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:57 PM

What is it that you don't care for? I'm trying to get all viewpoints, but haven't come across any negatives, except for the one you ALWAYS hear about STD's and swinging! (shich I am ignoring...sigh...)
Old 04-23-2018, 02:10 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

If you want a golf car garage you will need a wider lot also. Be careful what you choose, you don't want your master bedroom 10 feet away from swimming pool pumps that your neighbor might have unless you're a sound sleeper. There are a lot of Iris and Indigo models built and ready to go on all different types of lots. I'm assuming you're going to build south of 44 as I don't believe there are many if any lots available north of 44 so right now your choices are Fenney and DeSoto. If you have a dog or two check out the fenced in Veranda designer models.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:15 PM

Thank you. That is one of the "issues" we are running into. We want a two car garage with the golf cart garage as well. A lot of the new already built homes in our square foot desire (1700-2000) don't have a golf cart garage...at least not that I have seen so far. So much to think about! Never thought about the pool pumps. Great point! We heard about the pickleball courts being loud but not about the pool pump noise, which makes perfect sense.
Closed Thread

Tags
lot, model, building, buying, choose

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.