Can the irrigation water harm tomato plants?

Closed Thread
Old 06-13-2021, 09:37 AM
Default Can the irrigation water harm tomato plants?

Is it possible there's something about the irrigation water that can harm certain plants, like tomatoes?

I have 9 plants in the back of the house and just started running the sprinkler system there a few weeks ago. The plants have fatally withered.

Thanks a bunch, Tom.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwoodworker View Post
Is it possible there's something about the irrigation water that can harm certain plants, like tomatoes?

I have 9 plants in the back of the house and just started running the sprinkler system there a few weeks ago. The plants have fatally withered.

Thanks a bunch, Tom.
Short answer no.

Longer answer...new homes use reclaimed water and have a separate water system for irrigation, older homes use the same water as the residents in the house use.

Longer, Longer answer, having spend a bunch of time in the 3rd world, I've seen tomato plants watered with black dookie water, brown sludge water, and clear stream water and the plants all thrive.

The issue is probably related to the soil, a fungus, snails, other bugs, too much water, or a million other little things.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

my daughter has started an Oliver Wendall-Douglas farm, (lol), tomatoes being some of the crop. she grows them in pots & uses reclaimed h2o for watering -so far so good, but the Florida heat & sun have presented a challenge. the plants need light watering through the day to keep leaves from getting crispy, but not too much or it will produce poor results in fruit. i think it's more or less a hobby now, hit or miss to see what will grow or not.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

My best guess back of home faces south to much heat this time of year
Old 06-14-2021, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwoodworker View Post

Thanks a bunch, Tom.
I wouldn’t trust it, but I not on irrigation water and my tomatoes wither anyway.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
My best guess back of home faces south to much heat this time of year
I agree and they don’t have to be in afternoon sun either.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
Short answer no.

Longer answer...new homes use reclaimed water and have a separate water system for irrigation, older homes use the same water as the residents in the house use.

Longer, Longer answer, having spend a bunch of time in the 3rd world, I've seen tomato plants watered with black dookie water, brown sludge water, and clear stream water and the plants all thrive.

The issue is probably related to the soil, a fungus, snails, other bugs, too much water, or a million other little things.

Yep, probably the same tomatoes we buy in stores. Who knows how healthy they are?
Old 06-14-2021, 06:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Maybe. It depends on whether you are north or south of 44. South of 44, the irrigation water might be reclaimed (from water treatment plants). North of 44 (but south of 466), the irrigation water is not reclaimed (from water treatment plants).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
Short answer no.

Old 06-14-2021, 06:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Maybe. It depends on whether you are north or south of 44. South of 44, the irrigation water might be reclaimed (from water treatment plants). North of 44 (but south of 466), the irrigation water is not reclaimed (from water treatment plants).
Home Irrigation:

North of CR 466, homes are irrigated with potable water.
South of CR 466, homes are irrigated with non-potable water which is comprised of storm water runoff that is collected in water retention areas and groundwater from the lower Floridan aquifer when storm water supplies are not available.
Old 06-14-2021, 06:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member

That is not the whole story. Between 466 and 44, the irrigation water is not from water treatment plants (treated sewage). The golf courses do use water from water treatment plants. South of 44 (which is south of 466), the irrigation water might be from water treatment plants. Some of the irrigation water might be from other sources such as surface water and wells. Pretty much what I posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Home Irrigation:

North of CR 466, homes are irrigated with potable water.
South of CR 466, homes are irrigated with non-potable water which is comprised of storm water runoff that is collected in water retention areas and groundwater from the lower Floridan aquifer when storm water supplies are not available.
Old 06-14-2021, 06:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
That is not the whole story. Between 466 and 44, the irrigation water is not from water treatment plants (treated sewage). The golf courses do use water from water treatment plants. South of 44, the irrigation water might be from water treatment plants. Some of the irrigation water might be from other sources such as surface water and wells. Pretty much what I posted.
Based on the smell of the irrigation water, I wouldn’t water anything I eat with it.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Tomato plants have always done well when you have cooler nights. I can replicate my cherry tomatoes in a hydroponic situation. Have brought potted plants from garden near Louisville, yet the taste is off. I used distilled water, no change. I do keep my pots where shade is 70% of the day
Old 06-14-2021, 07:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Irrigation water is called non-potable for a reason. It "probably" is okay, but it is not considered safe for consumption. So, If you want to be safe, don't use it. If you feel it is worth it to save a couple of dollars a month then you can take the risk. It is probably a small risk, but the risk is not zero.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:31 PM

I'd be far more concerned with the heat than the water source.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdeb View Post
I'd be far more concerned with the heat than the water source.
Tomatoes love the heat.
Closed Thread

Tags
plants, irrigation, water, harm, started

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.