Adjustment from country living

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2011, 12:56 PM
Default Adjustment from country living

For those who came from a rural area and moved to TV. How was the adjustment? We currently live in a area with 2 acre min lot size, most a bit larger. my main concern is now the houses are at least 300 ft apart and in the villages not so much. How hard is it to adapt?
Old 03-24-2011, 01:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Gilbert View Post
For those who came from a rural area and moved to TV. How was the adjustment? We currently live in a area with 2 acre min lot size, most a bit larger. my main concern is now the houses are at least 300 ft apart and in the villages not so much. How hard is it to adapt?
Harry, it's a different lifestyle, that's for sure. Way back when, Sandy and I lived in a traditional suburban housing development (60 ft. wide lots) for a few years.....and couldn't wait to "get out of town" to get some more elbow room out in the country. For over 30+ years since then, we've lived in homes in OH that are situated exactly as you describe - multi-acre lots where your neighbors' homes are hundreds of feet away from yours. We're a few years away from being ready to give that up for the more simplistic lifestyle (housing-wise) that TV would offer us. In TV, the focus seems to be more on what you're doing rather than how you're living. Sure, things will be tighter space wise - no basement and smaller garage space is going to be painful!! But to us, it's a trade-off to be able enjoy everything TV and the surrounding areas have to offer. Plus "you don't shovel 'cold' in TV" - a bit different that winters in OH!!

Bill
Old 03-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Well, I LOVE the part about not so much grass to cut.

We still have both and I will soon go back to push the lawnmower...and yearn for my smaller yard here.

Funny how smaller yards get nicer with each birthday.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Gold member
Default Hedges and solar blinds

we too moved from a very rural part of VA, had acreage and no close neighbors. I do not miss the many hours of riding the mower, as I trudged across two of those acres.
However, upon moving into our Cottage, we had the landscaper plant mature shrubs 4' from and completely around the lanai and birdcage. We also added roll down/up blinds to keep out the sun, as well as a small measure of added privacy.
We have wonderful neighbors, who also appreciate their privacy, so its not a problem making the drastic change. As a bonus, birds visit our hedge, and we absolutely LOVE living here. You will too
Old 03-24-2011, 01:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

We moved from acreage and seclusion, too.

We chose a courtyard villa with walls for privacy, and it is located on a corner so no neighbors behind, and only a neighbor on one side. Plus, it is on a "preserve" so we don't look into housetops but instead a nice green view.

Because of these choices, the transition has been very easy.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:01 PM
Platinum member

Homes are available that offer lots of privacy. Ours backs onto the left side of a championship golf course, and we have all the privacy we want. We have a small pool that has the back wall built up, giving us privacy both in the house and in the pool, without blocking the view. However, rarely does anyone come near our lanai from the golf course.

The front of our home fronts on a circle street, so no thru car traffic, but there is a cut in the fence at the back end of the street, so we do have many golf carts passing on the way to SS. We have tinted our front windows, so we can watch in complete privacy. We like the constant golf cart parade.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:09 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

As with everything in life their are trade-offs. I have lived on several acreages, some of which were very rural, and I have lived in subdivisions of large metro areas with neighbors all around. I like both!! I like the quiet of the country, and the feeling of independence, where no one tells you if you may plant a tree or park a boat beside your house. I like the convenience of the city and the ability to shop at a variety of stores, and choose from a plethora or resturaunt choices within a short drive. I currently have a lakefront home with a covered dock and a bass boat, pontoon, and waverunner parked, gassed up, and ready to go. I love it in the spring and summer, but in the winter, when there is no water activity, it feels extraordinariy isolated as we are over an hour from a city, and 20 minutes from a town of any consequence. As I age I find that maintenence of such a property is more and more a chore, and I enjoy the lake activities less. I think you have to be ready to move to TV for the reasons that make TV unique - the tremendous variety of activites, the community of people with similar interests, and the ability to down-size and simplify your life. If that makes sense then TV has a home just for you.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I live in VA on 4 acres on a golf course. My lot is all woods so very private. You can go out to the hot tub dressed any way you want. However there is a significant problem with this. I spend hours every week picking up brush and cutting up limbs and cleaning the lot. More hours mowing grass and still more cleaning gutters and siding. Spreading mulch, grass seed and fertilizer. It never ends. I just got back from the land fill with a 6 X 10 landscape trailer full to a height of 6 feet with spring clean up and had them load 5 yards of mulch on before I left. I probably have 4 more loads of stuff to take and a couple more loads of mulch to bring home before I am done. I love the privacy of this location. Sitting on the porch in the evening listening to the birds and watching the deer. I will miss that. As I get older it is harder and harder to keep up with everything that needs to be done. My list never ends, just keeps getting longer. I will not miss that.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:59 PM
Gold member

Hasn't been a problem - we're used to condo living so that probably helps. Plus, It's pretty quiet around the neighborhoods since there aren't a lot of kids. Easy to get used to.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:41 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default One solution

I met a woman from the country who bought in Chatham with no house behind her. She felt that she got away from the hustle and bustle by living there.

The problem is you will have to watch out for the infamous Fumar there.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:31 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Gilbert View Post
Everyone has their own preferences but I don't think I could ever get used to living full time on the tiny TV lots. Our home is on what TV calls an oversized lot and we have privacy but it's still really small.
I'll be heading north soon and I look forward to firing up the pickup truck and chain saw and getting to work. I get a kick out of watching the wildlife such as deer and an occasional bear from my rear deck. At night you have to be careful of skunks and raccoons. Perhaps the time will come when I no longer want to do the work but not just yet.
I worked for many years in New York City and had a really long commute but it was like therapy to go out and dig in the dirt and I have never minded doing it.
Snow removal is a different story. Hate it. Even with a big snowblower I hate clearing the driveway and walkways.
I really do like TV, although the last couple of winters are colder than I expected, but I also like the openness of our northern home.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:14 PM

Thanks for all of your insight. I've been looking at the overhead shots and think that I might be able to survive in certain ares of TV. Historic or maybe a cul de sac or corner lot? At least I know I'm not alone in my "housing claustrophobia" We will be coming down in Sept. for the lifestyle week and really hope once I get there my concerns will just be silly. Thanks again
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.