Do any of the neighborhoods NOT allow dogs?

Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2019, 01:39 PM
Default Do any of the neighborhoods NOT allow dogs?

We LOVE dogs….raised a house full of kids and always had rescue animals in our home, but we are currently living in a 55+ community where, unfortunately, a single neighbor has 2 yappy little dogs that LOVE to use their doggie door and come and go to the backyard all day long barking at ANYTHING that moves.

We are planning our move to The Villages, and from research online are thinking we would like a Courtyard Villa type for privacy in our backyard area for grilling/entertaining and our hottub.

Does anyone know if any of the different villages might offer courtyard villas that do NOT allow dogs so we don't run into the same problem in our new home?

We have not said anything to our neighbor here...with a doggie door it is futile because they come and go at will, and we are moving soon, so no need to cause unnecessary friction...however, we would truly like to avoid not having the same problem at our new home.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-20-2019, 02:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

All Villages allow pets. A large number of pet owners opt for villas because of the enclosed yard.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koapaka View Post
We LOVE dogs….raised a house full of kids and always had rescue animals in our home, but we are currently living in a 55+ community where, unfortunately, a single neighbor has 2 yappy little dogs that LOVE to use their doggie door and come and go to the backyard all day long barking at ANYTHING that moves.

We are planning our move to The Villages, and from research online are thinking we would like a Courtyard Villa type for privacy in our backyard area for grilling/entertaining and our hottub.

Does anyone know if any of the different villages might offer courtyard villas that do NOT allow dogs so we don't run into the same problem in our new home?

We have not said anything to our neighbor here...with a doggie door it is futile because they come and go at will, and we are moving soon, so no need to cause unnecessary friction...however, we would truly like to avoid not having the same problem at our new home.

Thanks in advance
For everything you want in your backyard, check out the Verandas (south of 44). They offer a more fenced yard than a CYV for your grill and hottub. We have friends in a Veranda and they have two wonderful dogs which provides plenty of room for them and other activities.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,587 Times in 5,184 Posts

Under the Federal ADA law, if someone trains their dog to perform a task, and declares the dog to be a service animal, they can take the dog almost anywhere they want. I don't even think you can prevent a short term lease tenant from bringing a service dog into your house.
Old 12-29-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSSunshine View Post
For everything you want in your backyard, check out the Verandas (south of 44). They offer a more fenced yard than a CYV for your grill and hottub. We have friends in a Veranda and they have two wonderful dogs which provides plenty of room for them and other activities.
Appreciate that info, will certainly check it out!
Old 12-29-2019, 04:22 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSSunshine View Post
If your neighbor has a loud barking dog, you are going to hear it and this could be problematic no matter if you reside in a Designer, Veranda, Courtyard Villa or Premier home in TV. A Courtyard Villa, Veranda or Designer with a fence will give you and your dog some privacy but it will not protect you from the noise of a neighbor that may have barking dogs.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
If your neighbor has a loud barking dog, you are going to hear it and this could be problematic no matter if you reside in a Designer, Veranda, Courtyard Villa or Premier home in TV. A Courtyard Villa, Veranda or Designer with a fence will give you and your dog some privacy but it will not protect you from the noise of a neighbor that may have barking dogs.
I totally agree, which is WHY I posed the question of a potential "no pets" village. I wondered because not living there (yet) and looking at listings, there is an area where it asks about "restrictions" and some have a # of animals allowed, others give weight limits. Thought it was worth the chance to ask if there was on that was all together without the concern. Thanks much for all of you helping me understand that it appears not to be an option.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I think there SHOULD be a village where no dogs are allowed, so all the people irritated with dogs could move there.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I think there SHOULD be a village where no dogs are allowed, so all the people irritated with dogs could move there.
You must mean irritated by discourteous dog owners? It’s never the dog’s fault, it is the dog owner’s lack of respect for others and their personal property.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:10 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts

Village Developer is in the business of selling houses and developing his properties. A dog friendly community sells and is a good marketing strategy especially in an Adult Retirement Community.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarriors View Post
You must mean irritated by discourteous dog owners? It’s never the dog’s fault, it is the dog owner’s lack of respect for others and their personal property.
True. I stand corrected. Although there are many people who do not like dogs period. I happen to have one as a friend. I keep my dog away from her, but for his sake.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
True. I stand corrected. Although there are many people who do not like dogs period. I happen to have one as a friend. I keep my dog away from her, but for his sake.
TOTALLY agree with both of your positions! My concern is the neighbor with the "doggy door" (since the yard is fenced and she still works and is gone M-F)...so the dogs are actually a problem during her work days...other than that (weekends) she is VERY good about stopping them from barking.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koapaka View Post
TOTALLY agree with both of your positions! My concern is the neighbor with the "doggy door" (since the yard is fenced and she still works and is gone M-F)...so the dogs are actually a problem during her work days...other than that (weekends) she is VERY good about stopping them from barking.
I wonder if she knows the dogs are out there barking during the day. If she knew they were causing a problem, maybe she would not give them access to the door while she's at work. I wouldn't want my dog outside when I was not home, but that's a different matter.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:28 AM
Sage

Or you could actually speak with such a neighbor, and if you do not get the desired outcome, call the sheriff's office. There are laws that entitle you to the quiet enjoyment of your home.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Or you could actually speak with such a neighbor, and if you do not get the desired outcome, call the sheriff's office. There are laws that entitle you to the quiet enjoyment of your home.
There was actually a case of that talked about on here a few years ago. Neighbors were leaving their dog tied up outside all day, and it was barking. I forget which part of TV it was. The poster was a realtor, I think, who doesn't post much anymore. Anyhow, she was advised to call the sheriff, who went to the neighbors and explained the law, and they kept their dog inside thereafter.

Tags
home, dogs, backyard, problem, neighbor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.