Cell Phone coverage

Closed Thread
Old 09-13-2017, 09:24 PM
Default Cell Phone coverage

I just bought in the Village of Fenney and wondering how good cell service is. I have Verizon. Do I need a landline?
Old 11-08-2017, 01:04 PM

We were down yesterday after closing on our home. My Verizon phone couldn't get a good signal. My wife's work phone is AT&T and could. We are getting a landline since it was bundled with cable & internet service.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:06 AM

We are both AT&T and reception is spotty. We do not want a landline but will get one if reception continues to be spotty. Luckily, we don't close until early next May.

Look here and you can see what towers are available in or near Fenney:

Wildwood, FL Cell Towers, Signal Map & Lease Rates | CellReception

This looks at AT&T towers. There is no tower close to Fenney; hence the weak signal.

It looks like T-Mobile has the best coverage in the Fenney area.
Born and raised in Toronto; also lived in Sudbury and Winnipeg while growing up; migrated to Atlanta where I lived for almost 30 years and also spent a year in Milan and two years in Rochester, MN (brrrr).

Last edited by FenneyGuy; 11-29-2017 at 06:12 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,749 Times in 1,386 Posts

If you decide to do a land line be sure to view the internet phone options....assuming you are going to have an internet connection and home wifi.
One for example is Ooma; only cost is for the connection device and the monthly tax of around $3-4....no limit to nation wide calling.
Quality is easily equal to land line. We have had ours for several years...no complaints.
Check the pros and cons.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
If you decide to do a land line be sure to view the internet phone options....assuming you are going to have an internet connection and home wifi.
One for example is Ooma; only cost is for the connection device and the monthly tax of around $3-4....no limit to nation wide calling.
Quality is easily equal to land line. We have had ours for several years...no complaints.
Check the pros and cons.
Absolutely.
Born and raised in Toronto; also lived in Sudbury and Winnipeg while growing up; migrated to Atlanta where I lived for almost 30 years and also spent a year in Milan and two years in Rochester, MN (brrrr).
Old 11-29-2017, 08:01 AM

AT&T has an item called a Micro cell to boost cell signal. We use it in Charlotte and rural Indiana. We paid $80 one time for ours. Heard a rumor that if you threatened to change suppliers, they would give it to you free. MUst have computer to register..
Old 11-29-2017, 08:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by baustgen View Post
AT&T has an item called a Micro cell to boost cell signal. We use it in Charlotte and rural Indiana. We paid $80 one time for ours. Heard a rumor that if you threatened to change suppliers, they would give it to you free. MUst have computer to register..
They no longer give out Microcells for free and only sell them at their stores for $150. This info from AT&T whom I called on the phone. They said they are phasing them out over the next year. They told me to go to settings and activate "cellular" on my cell phone. I did this and it did not fix the reception problems I have with ATT in my home. I advertised on Next Door Neighbor for someone to sell me a Microcell. I found one for $35. The only problem with buying a used one is that the owner must deactivate the Microcell on the website and most people don't know this. The one I bought was not deactivated and I had to contact the owner and ask him to do it. They sell them used on Ebay and it might be difficult to get the owner to do the deactivation with someone you cannot contact. I have great reception in my home with my Microcell and many many dropped and garbled calls without it. This is in Hadley.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:37 AM
Smile Sit Tight !!!

I read in the paper that Verizon is building a new tower close to the intersection of Cr470 and Cr301. They put these things up very quickly and that will cover Fenney with no problem.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I suspect Micro-cells are being phased out because newer cell phones have "WiFi calling" and make Micro-cells unnecessary - they will essentially route phone calls through your router using the WiFi protocol instead of the cellular protocol that Micro-cells use. Check your cell phone settings to see if your cellphone supports this. iPhone 6 and later support this, perhaps even iPhone 5 ???

We have a Micro-cell and still use it because of one older cellphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baustgen View Post
Old 11-29-2017, 09:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenneyGuy View Post
We are both AT&T and reception is spotty. We do not want a landline but will get one if reception continues to be spotty. Luckily, we don't close until early next May.
Look here and you can see what towers are available in or near Fenney:
Wildwood, FL Cell Towers, Signal Map & Lease Rates | CellReception
This looks at AT&T towers. There is no tower close to Fenney; hence the weak signal.
It looks like T-Mobile has the best coverage in the Fenney area.
FenneyGuy, this is not a personal slam against you - simply my observation that "information on the Internet" must be taken with a grain of salt.

I don't think that site is showing all the towers in our area.

I don't have professional knowledge of cell towers, but I do know this. There are cell antennas on top of the water tower next to Turtle Mound golf course (Buena Vista and 466A). A couple years ago I talked to a contractor who was working on them and he told me they were for Sprint.

Another example is a massive cell tower near the hospital, in Lady Lake on 441 in front of Harbor Chase.

Just my 2 cents. I don't see red pins for either of these.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
FenneyGuy, this is not a personal slam against you - simply my observation that "information on the Internet" must be taken with a grain of salt.

I don't think that site is showing all the towers in our area.

I don't have professional knowledge of cell towers, but I do know this. There are cell antennas on top of the water tower next to Turtle Mound golf course (Buena Vista and 466A). A couple years ago I talked to a contractor who was working on them and he told me they were for Sprint.

Another example is a massive cell tower near the hospital, in Lady Lake on 441 in front of Harbor Chase.

Just my 2 cents. I don't see red pins for either of these.
Good to know. Thanks very much.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
I suspect Micro-cells are being phased out because newer cell phones have "WiFi calling" and make Micro-cells unnecessary - they will essentially route phone calls through your router using the WiFi protocol instead of the cellular protocol that Micro-cells use. Check your cell phone settings to see if your cellphone supports this. iPhone 6 and later support this, perhaps even iPhone 5 ???

We have a Micro-cell and still use it because of one older cellphone.
My Microcell allows me to have 5 bars and no dropped calls. With Microcell detached and my Iphone 6 plus set to cellular I still have dropped calls. Hoping they don't completely eliminate the Microcell.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:15 PM

I live in Fenney and cell phone coverage is awful. My salesperson warned me of this before we moved because I may be working remotely. He stated he does not have a problem anywhere else but Fenney and, like me, has Verizon. Since he gave me a "heads up" I then knew what to expect and the type of internet needed and upgraded my cell. We have a landline and when I had my internet setup(Spectrum), the installer also set up my cell to the internet and now the cell works perfectly. My car has Bluetooth and sometimes it will not work in Fenney. My salesperson called this week and and stated good news, a cell tower was in the plan for this area. But after the cells are now set to wireless, we have not had an issue.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Our Microcell works well also. With your iPhone 6+, have you tried turning on Wi-Fi calling so your calls are routed through your router?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
My Microcell allows me to have 5 bars and no dropped calls. With Microcell detached and my Iphone 6 plus set to cellular I still have dropped calls. Hoping they don't completely eliminate the Microcell.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Our Microcell works well also. With your iPhone 6+, have you tried turning on Wi-Fi calling so your calls are routed through your router?
Yes and I still get dropped calls so I turned it off and started using my Microcell again. I never get dropped calls with the Microcell
Closed Thread

Tags
cell, service, good, landline, verizon

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.