cell phone reception

Closed Thread
Old 04-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I had big problems with sprint , Had to walk out in backyard to get anyone........Kids had verizon and had no trouble here so I switched and now talk from any room in my house .........I live in Chatham....

can you hear me now fumar
Old 04-23-2011, 12:19 PM

I live in Buttonwood & AT&T is bad here. We had to get a land line to have a reliable connection. I have an Iphone 4.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:13 PM
Default Sprint is great

We areusing a virgin mobile card here to post this,,,it is on the sprint network,,,,I have streamed netflix with it here in TV...
Old 04-24-2011, 08:23 AM
Veteran member

I have an Iphone 4G and Doug has a regular cell phone. Our ATT service is fine in Largo (2 miles south of Sumter Landing). Usually at least 3 bars inside the house; no problems with dropped calls.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:47 AM
Veteran member

When we were there last month I noticed sometimes I had 3 or more bars on AT&T then suddenly no bars or dropped call. I think AT&T has only a limited number of access paths and when they are in use we get no bars/signal. I could get a pretty good signal in LSL but not in the creekside cabanas the other side of town indoors. Outside it was so so.

I didn't have much of a problem in our home in Polo Ridge but it wasn't the strongest signal by any means.

Sounds like Verizon is the best? May have to switch my IPhone4.

"The difficult we can do immediately the impossible just takes a little longer"
Old 04-25-2011, 08:14 PM
Sage

Since we moved here almost three years ago, we've had (or have) Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, and At&T. Not one has worked well in the house. Just recently got the AT&T and it's going back tomorrow before the 30 days are up. I just hope that some day soon there will be a cell tower near 466A.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:54 PM
Default We need a cell tower in TV!!

Live in Duval, been here 4 years, the ONLY phone service that works at my house is Verizon, and that ticks me off because they are too expensive. Just bought a Sprint phone today out of desperation, NO BARS at all, will be taking it back tmrw. I have been using Straighttalk for the past year because it's very inexpensive ($45/mo unlimited everything) and it's on the Verizon network, BUT they are slowly switching over to AT&T AND they don't have any cool droid phones, so I've been researching. Still grasping at straws hoping for a solution!! Good luck...

Life's Too Short!! Go for it!!
STEPHANIE
Old 04-25-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Since we moved here almost three years ago, we've had (or have) Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, and At&T. Not one has worked well in the house. Just recently got the AT&T and it's going back tomorrow before the 30 days are up. I just hope that some day soon there will be a cell tower near 466A.
We're not that far from you, in Bonita, and have great reception in the house with AT&T and our Iphone 4.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:02 PM
Veteran member

I really do not know what I'm going to do yet.
It looks like after we sell our NY home and move down here for good within a few months I'll be woking in The Villages almost daily.

I'll need a smartphone, and want it to be an iphone.

I need to decide if I stay with Verizon as I've been a Verizon guy for over 12 years....or switch to AT&T........

Pluses with AT&T.....simultaneous voice and data.
Pluses with Verizon.....all of the family has Verizon. I think my cost with AT&T would be a bit less, but that is a small concern. It is most important that I can use my phone daily in The Villages....

Frank
Old 04-25-2011, 10:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Sounds like my experience here. Had 2 other brands and now have Verizon....which sometimes requires going out to the Lanai to keep working. However, when having NO SERVICE when fishing in the Sebastian Fl.area, I asked a few full time fishermen how they could always use their phones...and .. mine was spotty at best down there. They said ..." it is simple, you leave the name brand carriers in your home...and use the $30.00 cellphone from Wal-Mart along with the pay as you go Net10 at 10 cents a minute". Well, I went to Wal-mart and did just that...Voila'......no more problems... Works up to nine miles out to sea ( after nine miles you are past the horizon) ...... and ...it also works ALL over our Villages. Needless to say, I always carry my Net10 phone..and ___sometimes____ carry the Verizon phone, also. Found out from the crusty old fishermen..( yup__ they are ALMOST as old as I ).....that Net10 uses everybody's cell towers ..and simply pays whoever OWNS the cell tower about three cents per minute of use. You are never very far from somebody's cell tower. I love it ...am never without cell service no matter where my wanderings occur.

Last edited by mrfixit; 04-25-2011 at 11:20 PM. Reason: skeered of duh spelink police
Old 04-25-2011, 11:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulfrank View Post
I really do not know what I'm going to do yet.
It looks like after we sell our NY home and move down here for good within a few months I'll be woking in The Villages almost daily.

I'll need a smartphone, and want it to be an iphone.

I need to decide if I stay with Verizon as I've been a Verizon guy for over 12 years....or switch to AT&T........

Pluses with AT&T.....simultaneous voice and data.
Pluses with Verizon.....all of the family has Verizon. I think my cost with AT&T would be a bit less, but that is a small concern. It is most important that I can use my phone daily in The Villages....

Frank
Frank says ...... "I will be working in The Villages almost daily.".....but his byline says he will live at The Plantation South of Leesburg...........Well guess what Frank....we WILL welcome you to The Villages ......if and when you decide to stop already with the 35 minute one-way commute. Plus we will gain a really decent neighbor, if you decide to join us here in PARADISE.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:25 AM
Veteran member

Dear mrfixit,
Thank you for the very kind words. Also, I like your forum name.

Just last week I worked in The Villages for the first time. It was the first time I was anywhere in The Villages other then the shops and Square. I worked in 4 homes in four different sections of The Villages and was very impressed! The homes were well made and beautiful. The folks in every case were quite nice.

It was strange driving by all those golf carts to the right of you, but no problem. The Roundabouts were a bit scary, but I'll get used to them. Basically, be safe, don't stop, watch all of your mirrors and signal your intentions I think will work.

Generally I find folks down here in Florida to be very kind and gracious. Perhaps because they are older, have nothing to prove, out of the rat race of life and now enjoying the fruits of years of their hard work.
We love the weather here. I need to go back to western NY to sell our home, etc, before we return for good. I really do not want to leave. hopefully it will be our last time.

Anyway, please forgive going off topic.....I just wanted to respond to your kind words. For those whom I made forget, the topic is cell phone reception..........carry on.....

Frank
Old 04-26-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulfrank View Post
Dear mrfixit,
Thank you for the very kind words. Also, I like your forum name.

Just last week I worked in The Villages for the first time. It was the first time I was anywhere in The Villages other then the shops and Square. I worked in 4 homes in four different sections of The Villages and was very impressed! The homes were well made and beautiful. The folks in every case were quite nice.

It was strange driving by all those golf carts to the right of you, but no problem. The Roundabouts were a bit scary, but I'll get used to them. Basically, be safe, don't stop, watch all of your mirrors and signal your intentions I think will work.

Generally I find folks down here in Florida to be very kind and gracious. Perhaps because they are older, have nothing to prove, out of the rat race of life and now enjoying the fruits of years of their hard work.
We love the weather here. I need to go back to western NY to sell our home, etc, before we return for good. I really do not want to leave. hopefully it will be our last time.

Anyway, please forgive going off topic.....I just wanted to respond to your kind words. For those whom I made forget, the topic is cell phone reception..........carry on.....

Frank
Frank, we aren't down there yet, but during our 7 visits we have stayed in 7 different villages and never had a reception problem with our Verizon phones (wife nor me). Of all the posts, seems like Verizon gets the "nod".
Old 04-26-2011, 08:39 AM

Yes, Yes, Yes!!!! I am calling ATT today to complain. Calls are dropped constantly. My friend is having the same trouble. I hope I can get this resolved.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:52 AM
Default ATT Trouble

I called ATT today. Explaining all the dropped calls and dialing problems. They told me that if enough people complain a new tower may be considered. I live in Buttonwood and noticed quite a few neighbors are also having problems. I related this to ATT. They gave me a $69.00 credit on my next bill for the inconvenience. Might be time for others to give them a call
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.