cell phone reception

Closed Thread
Old 04-26-2011, 10:45 AM
Gold member

I had same problem last year when we came here with our ATT phones. Calls dropped or every few words were all that you heard. So went to Verizon and said where is tower located near Pennecamp. Promised me and showed me on map that there was one near our area. Had similar problems with Verizon especially in the house. Found out there is a type of booster you can get for Verizon and put it in the house and service has been great ever since.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 04-26-2011, 11:32 AM
Veteran member

we live in Pennecamp and have sprint. We often have to go outside to talk but for some reason it seems to have gotten better lately.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:08 PM
Sage

I can't help but think that with the upcoming development south of 466A, the major cell service providers will beef us their coverage strength in that area. In the meantime,though, happyliz had a reasonable suggestion: Contact your provider to make them aware of your concerns. Yes, they should already be aware of the situation........and they probably are. But many times, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease".

To my own point, I contacted AT&T earlier regarding their coverage/signal strength, specifically in the 466A and Buena Vista vicinity. I did this via their online chat function.

What the representative was able to tell me:

"The service in the area of Wildwood and Lady Lake is good. There are several towers there. When you venture further away from the highways, though, is when it starts to get less reliable......There is a small triangle of Wildwood, Lady Lake, and Belleview and then highway 75 is to the west of that and you have good service there." Our history with their coverage supports that.

When I asked about future plans along 466A: "I do show some new towers planned in the area over the next few months, so maybe that will help!......It appears to be to the north (of 466A), but I don't have any way to know by how far, unfortunately......I can only say it should be some time before the fall." Pretty vanilla/non-committal replies but I suspect the rep didn't have access to a level of detail that would have pinpointed things better.

If you check their web site's "Coverage Viewer" function http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/ , you'd think pretty much ALL of TV had pretty good coverage! Unfortunately, as most know, it's not as good in all areas as their map would lead you to believe.

But I asked the rep to pass my thoughts/concerns re: coverage/signal strength on up the ladder. Hopefully, she'll do that.

Bill
Old 04-27-2011, 07:02 AM
Default Cell Coverage maps

All of the carriers now have a coverage map on their website. Good information! Just put in your Villages address. My address has "fair" or "moderate" showing with ATT, Tmobile and Sprint and in actuality I have NO coverage with these carriers. The only map that is awesome is Verizon and I wish that weren't so because we basically have no other choices and they are the most expensive. Everyone else is a reseller, there are only 4 players now and with ATT buying Tmobile there will be only 2! Not good for the consumer.

Life's Too Short!! Go for it!!
STEPHANIE
Old 04-27-2011, 11:40 AM

I'm still up north and switched from AT&T to Verizon because I could not get cell phone reception in my house. While down in TV a few weeks ago, I had great reception everywhere with Verizon. From reading these posts it appears AT&T has problem reception areas nationwide.

Dick
Old 04-29-2011, 05:19 AM
Default Wireless Reception

We have Verizon Wireless - My wife works for them, they built their business model upon having a "network" to provide coverage for their customers.

We are in Hacienda South and our coverage is excellent. We also have 4G hotspot which supports our other wireless devices. Data transmission is quick and without interruption or drop offs. I can't say the same thing about Comcast and their wireless reception.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:23 AM
Gold member

i have a samsung and the reception is terrible. my wife has a motorola and gets great reception. when my daughter visited with her i phone she got great signal as well. so the phone has a lot to do with it. im in rio grande.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:09 PM

I have Straighttalk which runs on AT&T lines, I'm told. Until recently, I had great service, now it's horrible. I'm wondering whether something happened to a satellite near here and can't get any responses from my HELPLESS desk.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:07 PM

I live in St Charles and had an Iphone3 which was great until the iphone4s came out, after that I have had numerous dropped calls and very poor reception. I even got the Iphone4 and still have dropped calls when in TV, up north the phone works great. You'd think with 90,000 potential customers that AT&T would get on the stick and erect another tower to cover the southern end of TV.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.