Choosing Cable or Satellite and Internet

Closed Thread
Old 06-06-2018, 05:52 PM
Veteran member
Default Choosing Cable or Satellite and Internet

Soon we’ll setting up a Villa as a seasonal home. I’ve been doing some shopping for TV and internet. So far the best pricing with 100 MBPs is Comcast. They are coming in about $20 less than Centurylink and Spectrum for the comparable service.

I could mix and match by using Direct TV Satellite and Century Link internet or Specturm. DirectTV is offereing a price of $35 per month, then after 1 year it rises to $78, this is with a 2 year contract.

That leads me to this question I’ve heard some not so good things about Comcast. Can you share your experience with TV and internet?

Thanks
Old 06-06-2018, 06:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-flat View Post
Soon we’ll setting up a Villa as a seasonal home. I’ve been doing some shopping for TV and internet. So far the best pricing with 100 MBPs is Comcast. They are coming in about $20 less than Centurylink and Spectrum for the comparable service.

I could mix and match by using Direct TV Satellite and Century Link internet or Specturm. DirectTV is offereing a price of $35 per month, then after 1 year it rises to $78, this is with a 2 year contract.

That leads me to this question I’ve heard some not so good things about Comcast. Can you share your experience with TV and internet?

Thanks
If you live in Calumet Grove then Spectrum is not available, they only operate below 466A. Comcast has the fastest internet, but probably the worse customer service. Being seasonal you probably could get your fastest internet and best bundle price with them, you run into problems when your introductory period ends. Century Link I've had here 7 years and I'm only getting 10 mpbs, because any faster they want your credit card on file, and I'm not giving my CC to any of these companies, people have problems with their bill going up without warning. Besides, I don't think CL has higher than 25 or 40, but I actually watch Netflix and Youtube with no problem.

I have Directv myself, I'm a full time resident and do a lot of TV watching at times during the year, especially NFL, College Football, Hockey, Directv is the best for sports. I have the Premier Package, which is every channel available and I've been with them 10 years, so things get negotiable, my bill this month is $153. Last football season they gave me NFL Ticket for free. If you're a good customer and pay on time, they'll take care of you. Can't say that about Comcast.

Being seasonal and if TV is not as important, you could bundle the internet with basic cable, just the local channels and a few others, then get Google TV or another one of those internet services for the bulk of the channels. I've heard good things about them. I also have a home phone with CL part of the package with my internet, it has unlimited long distance, I'm not a fan of talking on a cellphone or even own a smart phone.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:50 PM
Veteran member

JohnW,

Thanks for your input, I was leaning toward Comcast that may be the choice, but your suggestion about Google TV may be a workable solution. Next month a fellow Rhode Islander also a Village seasonal resident is going to give us a demo at his home with his workaround for TV. I won’t be ordering any service immediately since we won’t be able to get to our CYV until August. Thanks again.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:02 AM
Sage

If you are price sensitive then you might be able to save by going with a lower internet bandwidth, say 25 or 50 megabits per second. Unless you are doing something out of the ordinary, 100 megabits per second is probably overkill. For example, streaming Hi-Def with Netflix consumes approximately 5 megabits per second. While webpages might load slightly faster with 100 megabits per second, it won't impact your surfing experience to any real degree. I believe most people overpay for internet access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-flat View Post

Thanks
Old 06-07-2018, 12:20 PM

We have Comcast/Xfinity in TV and Spectrum in NC. Both offer "seasonal service", meaning you can keep your account open for significantly reduces fees while out of town. I believe there is a minimum/maximum time you can put on seasonal service. Check that out with the carrier you intend to use. Could save some $$$ in the long run.
Closed Thread

Tags
internet, year, i’ve, comcast, satellite

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.