Clearlink

Closed Thread
Old 12-30-2010, 01:58 PM
Default Clearlink

What are the advantages using Clearlink versus calling Comcast directly. We are moving into our new home 1/12 and not sure the best way to proceed with cable hook-up.

David
Old 12-30-2010, 03:20 PM
Veteran member

We used Comcast for our install and were satisfied. Don't know if one is cheaper, but I believe that Comcast will install cable, internet and telephone, while clearlink doesn't offer telephone. Maybe someone who used Clearlink will confirm. Congrats on the move!
Old 12-30-2010, 06:01 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbales View Post
What are the advantages using Clearlink versus calling Comcast directly. We are moving into our new home 1/12 and not sure the best way to proceed with cable hook-up.

David
So far in my limited experience I would have to say that with Clearlink I can at least get someone on the phone without either going crazy trying to get a live body to talk to -or- getting some exotic fairy tale charactor in a far-far away land!

I think we will go with Clearlink since we only want TV and Internet intially, then when the time comes I'll take a tranquilizer before trying to contact Comcast for the whole kitten-kabootle package-in-one deal! (that was my wife on the right while I was trying to call Comcast)
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 12-30-2010, 10:03 PM

I have called Clearlink and Comcast. Also checked Comcast online. Comcast online for The Villages only offers a double package - Internet and Cable. Down the page is phone.

As we will be snowbirds the benefit, I think, of calling Comcast (The Villages) is that you can shut the service off for a fee and turn it on for no fee when you return. 30 for cable, 30 for internet and 6.95 a month to maintain phone. Is anyone else doing this? Any suggestions?

We will be hooking up soon and would appreciate any input.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:44 PM
Platinum member

We have Comcast for the same reasons. The only suggestion, you know what the Internet rates are, call Comcast sales. The sales reps now have some discretion to sweeten the deal either with a 6 month discount or with additional premium channels. Others here have had a similar experience. It may be as little as $25 a month but it adds up over time.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:27 PM

We have Comcast for all three - TV, phone and internet. Have had very FEW problems and have had exccellent response time when we needed service. Comcast also has free long distance -- which is great for us! We use the 'vacation mode' every summer - the only thing to be aware of is that once you go on the vacation mode you lose your 'special package rate' that you might have had. I was not aware of that and then when it was turned back on - everything was full price. I called and they worked it out with me but it still wasnt as low as the 'bundle'.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:55 PM

Good idea gryyoung - I wasn't sure if there was possible wiggle room or not. Also, is the advantage of a second box worth it? What is the cost for a second one. My understanding is that you will get cable in the other rooms minus some of the channels. Does anyone have DVR? Is $15 a month a reasonable cost. Thank you for any MORE help. I will be making the final call after the first to set this up - trying to coordinate installation with arriving and buying a TV!!! Yikes - so much to do and all the time in the world : - )
Old 12-31-2010, 11:52 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwbevan View Post
Good idea gryyoung - I wasn't sure if there was possible wiggle room or not. Also, is the advantage of a second box worth it? What is the cost for a second one. My understanding is that you will get cable in the other rooms minus some of the channels. Does anyone have DVR? Is $15 a month a reasonable cost. Thank you for any MORE help. I will be making the final call after the first to set this up - trying to coordinate installation with arriving and buying a TV!!! Yikes - so much to do and all the time in the world : - )
My experience with Comcast cable is limited to my own experience. Our CYV came with three pre-wired connections. We added a fourth connection in the Kitchen which required an additional installation charge. We currently have two TV's connected directly w\o a cable box, and these two sets receive channels up to 130, including the Food Network, FX, FOX News, etc. These direct connect TV's cannot get the premium channels, HBO, Showtime, Encore, Cinimax, STARZ, etc.

To get premium channels, you will need a box for $7.95. In addition to the box, we also have a DVR which my wife claims she cannot do without. As long as she uses it, I don't mind paying extra for it.

Not too long ago, Comcast had a take it or leave it attitude. Over the last two years, however, they've discovered that they're not the only game in town, and they've gotten alot more flexible and helpful. You can put Comcast on vacation for up to six months each year, but by doing so, you will forfeit any promotions or discounts that they gave you initially, so they're not "perfect."

George
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.