A close second?

A close second?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 05-27-2019, 05:07 PM
Sage

We have friends who have a place in Ponte Verde. While their home was nice (huge actually) the activities there weren't as plentiful as here in The Villages. They have to drive "out of their bubble" for shopping, doctoring etc. NOT as convenient as we have it here. I think they said 5 miles minimum, depending on what they were going for. Further for other reasons. Yes, it's close to beaches but with that they get more "weather" effects than we do here as well. If you golf---they don't have a golf course but the professional course is near-by. The pool is a water-park shared with Nocatee and families. When we visited it seemed they only had one rec. center too. While the houses were nice the amenities wouldn't appeal to us. It's different strokes for different folks...but you can't beat The Villages!!!

Old 05-27-2019, 06:12 PM

Last edited by Nonni252; 05-28-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2019, 07:32 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzi View Post
When you were exploring options, were there any communities in FL that were a close second to TV? We'll be doing a LifeStyle visit in August but we will also check out other areas of FL. A 55+ community is a must as well as FL. Lakewood Ranch Del Webb (close to Sarasota) looks good as well as Ponte Vedra (Nocatee).
Central Fl is a good Fl location in terms of hurricanes. Take a look at Ocala and On Top if The World.
Why the Exaggeration?
Old 05-27-2019, 09:26 PM

Question Why the Exaggeration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilmacowen View Post
If you desire to live near the coast, you should come in February to see if you can tolerate the traffic. Five lanes each side, sometimes total gridlock just to go out to dinner or supermarket. Here, all I need is a golf cart.

Not true.

I lived in the greater Ft. Lauderdale area for many years and Federal Highway, the main north/south thoroughfare always moved as does A1A by the coast.

Traffic? Of course. But gridlocks are few and far between.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:24 AM
Sage

I grew up in St. Petersburg and when my dad retired in 1984 they moved 60 miles north to Spring Hill, Florida. A new retirement community at the time, Timber Pines. That Hernando County community is long completed but about 3 miles south a sister community was built, Heritage Pines, which is in Pasco County so they list Hudson as the town even though it's next to Spring Hill.

Heritage Pines is built out, but is much newer, completely gated with a real security gate and all the amenities you would really need. For shopping and eating out, US Hwy 19 is right out side your door. Just below Hudson is Tarpon Springs, Dunedin, Clearwater and St. Petersburg. The prettiest beaches in the world and only about 45 minutes to Tampa for professional sports and airport.

Heritage Pines Florida | Hudson, FL Retirement Communities | 55places

You'll find great prices, this home is currently on the market for $196K

The Villages Florida

Homesowners association

Heritage Pines Country Club - Hudson, FL - Home

Golf Course

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Old 05-28-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzi View Post
When you were exploring options, were there any communities in FL that were a close second to TV? We'll be doing a LifeStyle visit in August but we will also check out other areas of FL as well.
We both love to golf. My wife loves the Executive courses in The Villages.
If my wife didn’t golf, We’d definitely be living in Stonecrest !!! (Much more house for the money in a beautiful fully-gated community close to The Villages on the north side of 441)
Old 05-28-2019, 04:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
Not true.

I lived in the greater Ft. Lauderdale area for many years and Federal Highway, the main north/south thoroughfare always moved as does A1A by the coast.

Traffic? Of course. But gridlocks are few and far between.
Over near Flagler and Ormond Beach, the traffic in February was fine. At Bradenton Beach in February, the traffic could get backed up pretty badly. Those are two areas outside of TV that I have experience with in February.

Some people think the traffic in TV in the winter is absolutely horrible. I have to laugh at that.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Over near Flagler and Ormond Beach, the traffic in February was fine. At Bradenton Beach in February, the traffic could get backed up pretty badly. Those are two areas outside of TV that I have experience with in February.

Some people think the traffic in TV in the winter is absolutely horrible. I have to laugh at that.
We get an alert on the cell phone that Traffic in your are may be heavy for the next 30 minutes. That means 12 cars instead of 8.

We liked Boca but it was a No Go because of the weather and the Money is Nuts compared to The Villages. The Close 2nd was OTOTW but the Non-Land Ownership Thing was a Small Problemo. It was the Stopper. We like it here just a little bit.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:16 PM
Sage

Location: NJ, NY, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NM, CA and ID, not necessarily in that order

Traffic on Longboat Key during the season is very heavy. Winterhaven, Auburndale and Lakeland not so much.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-28-2019, 05:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
We get an alert on the cell phone that Traffic in your are may be heavy for the next 30 minutes. That means 12 cars instead of 8.

We liked Boca but it was a No Go because of the weather and the Money is Nuts compared to The Villages. The Close 2nd was OTOTW but the Non-Land Ownership Thing was a Small Problemo. It was the Stopper. We like it here just a little bit.
There was a place I loved. Placida, on the ICW. Todo expensivo. It was near to Boca Grande, wonderful restaurants. My friend who lives in Placida said the billionaires had edged out the millionaires. This was ten years ago. Oh my. But the traffic wasn't too bad, in case you're interested.

Tags
close, lakewood, areas, 55+, community