Closing on a new home

Closed Thread
Old 08-20-2017, 12:16 PM
Default Closing on a new home

We will soon be new Villagers! This forum has been very helpful already. My current question is: Is there anything that I should be aware of before I do my pre-closing walk through?
Old 08-20-2017, 02:04 PM

If I recall the walk through with our builder was only a formality. He may have instructed us on a few things but not much that I can recall. Any problems that you may have is handled later through the warranty department. You will immediately have people knocking on your door for water systems, lawn services, etc. Or at least that was how it was for us. We were moving into an area that was still building out. At closing you'll have the opportunity to purchase title insurance. We purchased it but most people I know did not. Good luck.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:12 PM
Veteran member

Too "Paradise", er-um TV LetsPlay2

R U buy'in New or Used? We bought used with a Low bond. Take ur time & ask alot of questions. We R here to help....
Old 08-20-2017, 03:22 PM
Sage

LetsPlay2,

Welcome to TOTV. Are you by any chance a Cubs fan? "Let's play two" was a famous quote from Ernie Banks.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:53 PM

Walkthrough is not as important as having Frank DiAngelo inspect your home after 11 months prior to the warranty being up. He found 13 items for fixing. We never saw them. The major item was the microwave vent did not match.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:08 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,339 Times in 1,447 Posts

We closed in early May. You will be instructed to call the various companies that put in the havc, irrigation, landscaping, etc, they will come out and go through everything with you, they are very helpful and friendly. We chose not to take the title insurance. Warranty department is also very helpful, a lot of things are only guaranteed for 30 days such as paint defects, scratches, counter top defects, etc. so look at everything good and call them with whatever you find, they will come right out and correct it. Welcome and good luck with everything.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:14 PM
Sage

Welcome to the Villages. Don't buy anything from anyone knocking on your door and they will come. Always get a recommendation from TOTV or your neighbors first. Do not pay contractors up front for their work.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
Welcome to the Villages. Don't buy anything from anyone knocking on your door and they will come. Always get a recommendation from TOTV or your neighbors first. Do not pay contractors up front for their work.
Now that's the best solid advise so far....
Old 08-20-2017, 04:32 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
We closed in early May. You will be instructed to call the various companies that put in the havc, irrigation, landscaping, etc, they will come out and go through everything with you, they are very helpful and friendly. We chose not to take the title insurance. Warranty department is also very helpful, a lot of things are only guaranteed for 30 days such as paint defects, scratches, counter top defects, etc. so look at everything good and call them with whatever you find, they will come right out and correct it. Welcome and good luck with everything.
Agree.............don't wait until the 11th month.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:40 PM

I'm sure it's a beautiful day in The Villages...let's play two! I used to run home from school to catch the last three innings of Cubs games. Ernie Banks, my all time favorite!
Old 08-20-2017, 04:42 PM

Thanks for the advice. What are the pros and cons for title insurance?
Old 08-20-2017, 06:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsPlay2 View Post
We will soon be new Villagers! This forum has been very helpful already. My current question is: Is there anything that I should be aware of before I do my pre-closing walk through?
I agree with the advice given here, but don't wait 11 months. The only other thing I will add, is INSIST that the builder accompany you onto the roof and assure the shingles are sealed correctly. If not get them to fix it right away. The one thing that has happened several times in the villages is shingle problems. I found out about mine AFTER the 11 month inspection(I did not use Frank, and they obviously did not go on the roof). The villages got it fixed, but it was a long fight to get it done.

At least get a ladder and go check the shingles yourself, and go all over the roof.

Ed
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 08-20-2017, 06:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

If anyone calls and says Hi, I'm from the Villages Welcome Committee and I have a $25 Home Depot Gift Card I want to give you, don't believe them. There is no committee. Also, don't let anyone come and test your drinking water, don't believe them. We are all still alive and drinking the water everyday.

My neighbor who is a little naive and believes everything, within the first six months bought a $3100 water purifier system, $2000 lightning rods on a CYV, and 4 smoke detectors for $1800. Yes, your home has smoke detectors in every room, but there are people wanting to sell you newer and better models that cost over $400 apiece.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsPlay2 View Post
I'm sure it's a beautiful day in The Villages...let's play two! I used to run home from school to catch the last three innings of Cubs games. Ernie Banks, my all time favorite!
LetsPlay2,

I went to my first Cubs game in 1968 or 1969 with my dad, so I did get a chance to see Ernie Banks play a few times before he retired. Best of luck to you in your move to The Villages. And may the Cubs repeat as World Series Champs in 2017 . . . Go Cubs Go!

Tags
walk, question, current, aware, pre-closing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.