coming for preview

Closed Thread
Old 07-29-2012, 10:47 AM
Platinum member
Default coming for preview

I currently live in Largo, Fl and have started the process of looking for areas to retire. I am 61, a single mother with a son with two more years of college. I'm hoping to retire within the next 3 years. I'll be coming for the preview in August. I only recently started looking at the Villages. I originally thought I might go to the Sun City Kings Point area because resales are so inexpensive and I like the location near several major airports and the beach. However, being single, my biggest concern is finding other people to do things with and I've heard so many good things about the various activities of the Villages. So, I'm coming to check it out and after reading a lot of the posts here, am really looking forward to it.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope2soon View Post
I currently live in Largo, Fl and have started the process of looking for areas to retire. I am 61, a single mother with a son with two more years of college. I'm hoping to retire within the next 3 years. I'll be coming for the preview in August. I only recently started looking at the Villages. I originally thought I might go to the Sun City Kings Point area because resales are so inexpensive and I like the location near several major airports and the beach. However, being single, my biggest concern is finding other people to do things with and I've heard so many good things about the various activities of the Villages. So, I'm coming to check it out and after reading a lot of the posts here, am really looking forward to it.
I am not single, so can't address you from that viewpoint, but my experience in TV over the last three years tells me it would be a great place for you. If you like to stay active and hang with people who are generally happy and in a similar place in life as yourself, TV should fill the bill. If I were single it is where I would locate on a semi-permanent basis (still keep a part time home in Missouri near the family), because I would stay active and connected. The home prices are not depressed as they are in Sun City, but that should tell you something about demand for the TV lifestyle. Good luck and have a ball on your preview, it is a great time to get a good feel for the development.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

our friends have a home in sun city, and just bought in TV soooooooooooo
Old 07-29-2012, 09:18 PM
Gold member

to the TOTV forum.
In reality, they're different!
Old 07-30-2012, 09:29 AM
Gold member

My parents lived on Symmons Lake in SCC. Beautiful view and nice watching the pontoon boats.

They liked it in Sun City Center but did not notice in their later years how rundown it had gotten.

We sold their 2,000sf home for 180K in 2011 with a double lot on the water which they paid 120K 20 years earlier and then added on.

Don't do it. Its about the most boring place on earth.

Better to move to a neighborhood near TV than SC. You can do better for the same $$$.

Our early negativity towards TV before visiting for the 1st time in Jan. 2012 was based on our experience of SCC.

TV is nothing like that and we are now happy Villagers since June.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:31 AM
Sage

I am still a single wannabee myself and wanted to wish you a
to TOTV.

I have been on two trips to TV and found by just talking to people you will make friends easily. There are singles groups and events also.

The third Friday of every month, there is a lucheon at Crisper's at 3 PM in the Southern Trace mall where you meet people form TOTV.

Be prepared to be blown away by the beauty of TV and it's friendly people.

BTW - Bring your checkbook.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 07-30-2012, 09:53 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I am still a single wannabee myself and wanted to wish you a
to TOTV.

I have been on two trips to TV and found by just talking to people you will make friends easily. There are singles groups and events also.

The third Friday of every month, there is a lucheon at Crisper's at 3 PM in the Southern Trace mall where you meet people form TOTV.

Be prepared to be blown away by the beauty of TV and it's friendly people.

BTW - Bring your checkbook.
2B is right, as he usually is. The only reason I can think of that anyone would not like The Villages is if they were reclusive and antisocial, but then they probably wouldn't like anyplace.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:12 PM

Hello hope2soon!! I am a single 63 y.o. woman who just purchased a home in TV after retiring to Sun City Peachtree (Griffin, GA) in 2009 where i got a great deal on an awesome house. Moved there from the DC area and continued to work part-time for the first 18 months - which required a lot of travel - but once i stopped the part-time work and was there 24/7 i was BORED TO DEATH. Heard about TV from neighbors, put my house up for sale, and will close on a courtyard villa on September 5th. CANNOT WAIT.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:23 AM
Platinum member

thanks so much for all the positive replies. I have a feeling I'm going to be anxious to speed up the retirement after I experience TV. I'll be there Monday for the preview.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I use to be an air traffic controller at St. Pete-Clearwater Airport and lived in Largo from 1974 to 1977. What don't you like about Largo? I grew up in St. Petersburg and I always liked Pinellas County but I haven't lived there since then. I guess it's probably too crowded? Don't say too many old people, because that's all we have here.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Platinum member

It's not that I dislike it here. But it is crowded--the traffic is terrible now anytime of the day. I don't enjoy driving in it, especially at night. Golf cart appeals to me. As a single mother for almost 20 years--raising my son was my main focus not socializing. Most of my friends are married. So I want to find a place where there will be a variety of acitivities and to hopefully find other like minded people.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
It's not that I dislike it here. But it is crowded--the traffic is terrible now anytime of the day. I don't enjoy driving in it, especially at night. Golf cart appeals to me. As a single mother for almost 20 years--raising my son was my main focus not socializing. Most of my friends are married. So I want to find a place where there will be a variety of acitivities and to hopefully find other like minded people.
Please let us know your experience with TV.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 08-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
I was just kidding. I don't blame you for wanting to leave the working world behind and live where everybody else is retired. You should really like it here.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.