Considering Retiring To The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2021, 11:45 PM

Hi Larry,

I actually went through a similar process recently. I started researching the Villages back in November and I learned a lot from TOTV and youtube. I had it all built up in my head and I was so excited to come down for my first visit that I was actually scared it wouldn't be as good as advertised, especially since I had been encouraging my wife that this would be a great spot. We came down the first week of February and heard the music playing in the square, had a great tour day with our Villages realtor. Smitten from the first moment. Purchased a home in the south in De Luna a couple weeks later. In sum, I think you are on the right track. If you have any specific questions don't hesitate to reach out to me directly.

Cheers,

Dylan
Old 05-10-2021, 04:44 AM
Veteran member

Someone was just telling me when building was starting south of 466, yes, 466, everyone said you don't want to buy past there, there is nothing there. LOL!!!
Old 05-10-2021, 04:46 AM
Default Move

Definitely get a mls realtor as well. Good luck!
Old 05-10-2021, 04:56 AM

Check out Top of the World in Ocala before you buy here…..A lot more home for the money and better golf courses.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:56 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,773 Times in 3,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nob77@comcast.net View Post
Definitely get a mls realtor as well. Good luck!
Can't look at new homes.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:58 AM
Veteran member

Come down for a few years and during all seasons and then make an informed intelligent decision.
Old 05-10-2021, 05:04 AM
Default Moving from Texas

We moved here from San Antonio and have found that our Village realtor tried to discourage us from buying fast (we did anyway). We have a new house down South and it is absolutely one of the best decisions we have made. Amazing amount of stuff todo - we prefer Edna’s on the Green to town square (which is 12 minutes away in a golf cart).

Have lived "down there" 3 years, love it. There is no right place or better place, but only the place you like.
Location: Rhode Island native now full time resident of St Johns.

Hi Larry,

Not sure if you are a YouTube watcher, but if you are or are not let me suggest you being a single guy considering TV for retirement, YouTuber Rusty Nelson who is on the same journey as you has put out a number videos detailing his experiences from a single's perspective which begin with making his 1st call to book a lifestyle visit. Rusty just completed a month long stay which he rented a patio villa. Also, Rusty is very responsive to answering questions of those who leave them in the comments. Although I will be making the journey to TV with my husband, I very much enjoy Rusty's videos as well as several other TV YouTubers.

Best of luck.
Old 05-10-2021, 05:05 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The Villages agents make the same percentage selling new or used. Our Village agent, Jim McLaughlin, showed us resales when we decided we needed a bigger home.
The point is the Villages agents have NO access to MLS listings at all.
They cannot list them,
They cannot show them,
They cannot see them.

There is a whole, bigger world out there in MLS that Village realtors do not talk about or deal with. We closed on house 2 in March. It took us an additional 3 weeks to close because the title agencies were doing 10 closings a day in TV and that was the backlog.

8/10 people use MLS to purchase.

Always excited to see a new person look at our little slice of heaven, but he needs to know how big the resale world actually is.
Old 05-10-2021, 05:06 AM

You should work with an MLS agent too. I work with Exit Realty.

Also check out my YouTube channel. I can’t put the link to the channel because when I do I get a warning from this site because I advertise my real estate business. But if you search my name you will find it. Robyn Cavallaro. It’s all about living in the villages in Florida
Old 05-10-2021, 05:11 AM

What suburb of Dallas? My son lives in Southlake!
Old 05-10-2021, 05:17 AM

I think your info is not quite accurate. Since the opening of the Water Lily Bridge all the squares are very easily and quickly accessible to anyone in a new home area. From Monarch Grove we can get to Brownwood Square in 15 minutes. The new Sawgrass Grove area is coming and there will be entertainment there.

Before we bought new we looked at pre-owned, when we inserted all info that was important to us into our spreadsheet, new came out on top every time.
Old 05-10-2021, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmarkwald View Post
They can only sell the resales they have.

They cannot access nor sell any MLS listings.

Have a REAL agent in addition to the Villages agents. That will give you access to a LOT of additional and varied postings.

And NEW home can cost a LOT more than resales. Starting with the $30,000 bond, landscaping, etc. No squares to go to down there, etc etc.
As someone that has moved DOWN THERE you have no idea what you are talking about. Things are moving fast and within a couple of years, this will be the best place to live unless you are to old and set in your ways.
PS the cost is going up as fast for resales as it is for new and you can build for no more cost or spend as much as you want to have the perfect new home with non of the resale house problems like plumbing and roof replacement.
Old 05-10-2021, 05:20 AM

Also, check out “Single in the Villages” on Facebook. It is a great group!
The Villages 55+ Retirement Community and Being Single. The Facebook Group Single in the Villages. - YouTube
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, retiring, live, christi, cabot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.