Considering the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 02-28-2021, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
I am only here in TV because my wife insisted. This is not her opinion; she loves every little thing about it. For me though other than the warm winter weather, it sucks. Driving anywhere is a pain. Way too much traffic and it will continue to get worse as they are continuing nonstop developing. Homes are crammed together. Heavy golf cart traffic is ridiculous and dangerous. I ride my bike on the cart paths and it is scary. Read The **************.com for all the latest drunk cart driving accidents and crimes.

I am more prejudiced than most because I don’t play golf, I don’t like games or clubs, I don’t like to socialize, I don’t swim or like pools, and would rather be around animals than people. I’ve been here 3 months and haven’t even needed or would use a TV ID card for anything. I prefer solitary pursuits, cycling, hunting, fishing, kayaking, reading, television, sitting on a beach, etc.

TV is a marvel of cookie-cutter overpriced homes in town that reminds me of The Twilight Zone episode where a couple woke up in this picture perfect town only to find out everything in it was fake and they were in a giant being’s terrarium. The place is just plain weird.

Get outside TV and this central part of FL is pretty darn ugly. Swamps, brush & scrubs, ugly trees, trashy homes, dumpy house trailers with plenty of crime & drugs to go around. I carry a legally concealed handgun pretty much everywhere I go.

Last year we stayed at Navarre Beach which is near Pensacola and absolutely gorgeous. Sugar white sand with the turquoise water of the Gulf on one side of Santa Rosa Island and the sound on the other. It is in the Central Time Zone. No bugs or alligators (at least on the island).

There is 20 miles of protected seashore with wind swept dunes and sparsely populated beaches with a bike/hike trail almost the entire length of the island. At one end of the island is a historic fort dating back to the civil war and toward the eastern end is a Marine Science Station. Golf carts are used by some residents but really very few. Overall traffic is extremely light on the island. The 4-lane on the mainland can be busy but there are no roundabouts and traffic moves right along.

There are many fresh seafood, authentic southern BBQ restaurants and local markets (as in real markets, not the imitation overpriced ones in the TV pretend town squares). Navarre Beach is NOT a tourist trap. The summers there are bearable too, not 100 degrees in the shade like here.

Beautiful homes and condos (some <$300k) on the waterfront at reasonable prices (2019). The condo amenities/fees are next to nothing compared to TV. From our rental condo's bedroom window, we could watch porpoises playing in the water. I thought Navarre was a slice of heaven. I wanted to buy there but my wife insisted on TV. I got my summer lakefront home though for most of the year so all is not lost.

I admit, I am not the typical TV resident and my comments will generate plenty of “Yankee go home” comments but you asked for opinions so there you go...to each his own.

Great feedback.

Thank you very much for sharing as it sort of captures some of the same reservations I have.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
I am only here in TV because my wife insisted. This is not her opinion; she loves every little thing about it. For me though other than the warm winter weather, it sucks. Driving anywhere is a pain. Way too much traffic and it will continue to get worse as they are continuing nonstop developing. Homes are crammed together. Heavy golf cart traffic is ridiculous and dangerous. I ride my bike on the cart paths and it is scary. Read The **************.com for all the latest drunk cart driving accidents and crimes.

I am more prejudiced than most because I don’t play golf, I don’t like games or clubs, I don’t like to socialize, I don’t swim or like pools, and would rather be around animals than people. I’ve been here 3 months and haven’t even needed or would use a TV ID card for anything. I prefer solitary pursuits, cycling, hunting, fishing, kayaking, reading, television, sitting on a beach, etc.

TV is a marvel of cookie-cutter overpriced homes in town that reminds me of The Twilight Zone episode where a couple woke up in this picture perfect town only to find out everything in it was fake and they were in a giant being’s terrarium. The place is just plain weird.

Get outside TV and this central part of FL is pretty darn ugly. Swamps, brush & scrubs, ugly trees, trashy homes, dumpy house trailers with plenty of crime & drugs to go around. I carry a legally concealed handgun pretty much everywhere I go.

Last year we stayed at Navarre Beach which is near Pensacola and absolutely gorgeous. Sugar white sand with the turquoise water of the Gulf on one side of Santa Rosa Island and the sound on the other. It is in the Central Time Zone. No bugs or alligators (at least on the island).

There is 20 miles of protected seashore with wind swept dunes and sparsely populated beaches with a bike/hike trail almost the entire length of the island. At one end of the island is a historic fort dating back to the civil war and toward the eastern end is a Marine Science Station. Golf carts are used by some residents but really very few. Overall traffic is extremely light on the island. The 4-lane on the mainland can be busy but there are no roundabouts and traffic moves right along.

There are many fresh seafood, authentic southern BBQ restaurants and local markets (as in real markets, not the imitation overpriced ones in the TV pretend town squares). Navarre Beach is NOT a tourist trap. The summers there are bearable too, not 100 degrees in the shade like here.

Beautiful homes and condos (some <$300k) on the waterfront at reasonable prices (2019). The condo amenities/fees are next to nothing compared to TV. From our rental condo's bedroom window, we could watch porpoises playing in the water. I thought Navarre was a slice of heaven. I wanted to buy there but my wife insisted on TV. I got my summer lakefront home though for most of the year so all is not lost.

I admit, I am not the typical TV resident and my comments will generate plenty of “Yankee go home” comments but you asked for opinions so there you go...to each his own.
Minority opinion noted
Old 02-28-2021, 06:39 AM

We sold our property in New England this past November and rented a place in TV for a couple of months with the intention of visiting numerous 55+ communities. We visited Margaritaville, Webb, Top of the World, and others. You can get nicer houses for your money at some, especially Top of the World, but no matter what they advertise, there are few options for activities. We are now in the process of having a house built here TV and have extended our rental extended until it is done.
You can do as much of as little as you want. Hundreds of activities, clubs and entertainment. Yes hundreds. I have yet to meet anyone that isn't friendly , which is a change that we are pleasantly adjusting to.
The only complaint I have so far is the rate that property price increases, which, I suppose for us, is good for the long term.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:01 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasonal View Post
Within the next year, the wife and I plan to retire and purchase a second home in Florida. Another set of snow birds, yeah!

We have driven through the Villages and love the new homes available online but we have one thought that keeps us away. I wanted to ask about this to see if our thought is correct or way off base.

"Oh the humanity!" is our thought. Once we left our new Village home, all we would encounter is a crush of people. Decide to go food shopping, crowds. Golfing or swimming, people everywhere. Enjoy a beer and music on the square and it's like a day at Disney. Wherever you are standing, you are in the way.

We are are looking to slow down some. Enjoy the warm weather with our little dogs without giving up all privacy.

We will certainly rent something in the Villages and other areas in Florida for a month or two prior to purchasing anything but the thought around the crowds is our concern.

I've read this forum for years and enjoy the conversation. Thought I would state our concern, seeking comments.
Where do you live now? What are you used to? Due to the traffic this time of year, there are several times a day when turning left from Morse Blvd. into the Tierra del Sol postal station parking lot is difficult. I may have to wait an entire minute for several dozen cars and carts to pass because they get held up at the light at San Marino, then arrive at my turn in a long stream. Big deal. The very worst traffic in The Villages at the busiest time of year is much lighter than average traffic year round in most sizable American cities. As for residential streets? I’d guess my street gets on average thirty cars an hour. Some areas get even less. Have you ever driven in Los Angeles or New York or Boston? I taught for 34 years at a university in tiny Kutztown, Pennsylvania, population 5,000. During the school year it gets much more traffic than The Villages at its worst. So at the busiest season during the busiest parts of day, driving Morse from 441 to 466 takes an extra minute. Big deal! It’s not going to be a problem.

As for the town squares, do you want to dance? Go there tonight and you can easily dance with no one within ten feet of you. You may have to walk a little slower because more people are around the square and in carts and lawn chairs outside of it, but if you cross the street you can go for a run at that time without getting in anyone’s way. It’s not nearly as crowded as walking on TImes Square in New York, much less going to see the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center. Is it more crowded this time of year? Yes. But entirely bearable.

Yes, restaurants are more crowded right now. I’ve walked away from places that tell me it will be a 45 minute wait. Part of the problem is that there may be dozens of empty tables, but that is due to social distancing, and there are fewer employees, so it takes longer. However, I’ve always managed to go to some other restaurant in the area and get in at once. It helps to be flexible. Also, next winter, when all the tables are available, it will be easier to get seated.

The Villages, apart from this, is delightfully relaxed and a wonderful place to retire. My biggest problem is that at Sam’s Club, lots of people seem to be there for a pleasant stroll, whereas I want to get what I need and get out.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:01 AM

Be sure to visit my YouTube channel. I post episodes about living in The Villages and Florida Fun.
Youtube.com/rcavallaro
Old 02-28-2021, 07:09 AM
Default "America's friendliest Home Town : NOT

Quote:
Within the next year, the wife and I plan to retire and purchase a second home in Florida. Another set of snow birds, yeah!

We have driven through the Villages and love the new homes available online but we have one thought that keeps us away. I wanted to ask about this to see if our thought is correct or way off base.

"Oh the humanity!" is our thought. Once we left our new Village home, all we would encounter is a crush of people. Decide to go food shopping, crowds. Golfing or swimming, people everywhere. Enjoy a beer and music on the square and it's like a day at Disney. Wherever you are standing, you are in the way.

We are are looking to slow down some. Enjoy the warm weather with our little dogs without giving up all privacy.

We will certainly rent something in the Villages and other areas in Florida for a month or two prior to purchasing anything but the thought around the crowds is our concern.

I've read this forum for years and enjoy the conversation. Thought I would state our concern, seeking comments.
I've lived in TV for over a year and recently moved to Stone Crest, which is just across the road from TV. Many stores are within 5 minutes of Stone Crest by golf cart, and TV is also accessible by golf cart. There are not as many amenities in Stone Crest, but there are also not as many people here, so, less crowds, more space between houses, less people along with more value per housing dollar.
With all the amenities available, I enjoyed my time in TV, but what I disliked most was grumpy old men and women who can't wait to correct or chastise others for something they may see someone doing "wrong", whether they are impacted by that action, or not. I have had this happen to me many times, sometimes I was guilty of some minor incident (like going the wrong way in a parking lot and was yelled at), and sometimes I was innocent, yet I was chastised because my actions somehow upset someone else, (like riding my bicycle in the middle of a small street and having a neighbor's dog pull away from it's owner, and chase me). I have my own thoughts of why people are grumpy, but one thing I know that is a causative factor is the crowded conditions in TV. It's really simple, the more people there are in a given area, the more problems occur. So, TV is definitely not America's Friendlies Home Town. TV is like any other retirement community, you will find many grumpy old folks, but you will also find many friendly, happy folks. For me, I prefer Stone Crest, but each to their own.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:46 AM

Quote:

My wife and I are a couple years ahead of you. We did the Lifestyle visit in Brownwood and really liked what TV has to offer. We bought just south of Lake Sumter last year. Our solution to the crowds? We rent the place at high-season rates and travel. Mexico is perfect in January/February.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:52 AM

We moved from a sparsely populated area, lived without any neighbors in sight. Moving to TV was not a hard adjustment as far as crowds or traffic, but seeing a house out every window was strange. We quickly adapted to the convenience of shopping, rec centers, banking, restaurants, etc by golf cart. Renting first is a very good idea. Good luck.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

It’s not the same as it was when we moved here fifteen years ago. Your sense of “crowdedness” is correct. Public events are wall-to-wall people and traffic is becoming impossible. Renting for a couple months, maybe for a couple of years, is an excellent idea. Maybe while you’re here, research other alternatives. Don’t be disappointed by just drinking the Kool Aide.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:24 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
. Many stores are within 5 minutes of Stone Crest by golf cart, and TV is also accessible by golf cart.
Nucky, you left the barn door open and the scavengers are getting in.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:29 AM
Veteran member

Check out Lakewood Ranch, which is father south. Decide if you want a truly gated community, closer to the ocean, out of the central FL sinkhole zone, etc. I think the taxes are higher but they have many of the same amenities. You owe it to yourself to ck it out.

On another thread someone suggested searching “best 55+ communities in Fl”, which perhaps you have already. I think TV rated 3rd? Good luck! Enjoy the journey
Old 02-28-2021, 08:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

We had the same concerns. We explored multiple retirement communities and after considerable thought purchased in The Villages six years ago. We have never looked back as it was the correct decision. The reason we bypassed other retirement communities and settled here is that in retirement the greater risk is dying of boredom, not having too much to do.

You might consider the northern Villages. Rec centers and sports facilities are far less crowded, and you can save a lot of money by buying with no bond. Many homes have been fully updated, so it's not necessary to sacrifice on home quality.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:50 AM

Dhdallas #12 - right on Rambo I wish you were my neighbor.....
Old 02-28-2021, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I think that it all depends on where you come from. Yes, The Villages, and all Florida communities get busier and more crowded in the winter. But I've lived and worked in big cities and it's nothing like that. I think that some people that have come from rural areas think that we have a lot of traffic. While there is certainly more traffic here during the season than in the summer, it is not like a big city. The lines at restaurants and super markets are not bad.

I think that many of the years round residents are also a bit spoiled by the smaller population that we enjoy for 7-8 months of the year. But as I say, no matter where you go in Florida, you're going to find the same thing.

I'm originally from Eastern Massachusetts and the people on Cape Cod complain about the excess traffic in the summer time. I can tell you that the winter traffic here is no where as bad as the summer traffic on Cape Cod of the year round traffic in Boston and other places.

In addition, left hand turn lanes are currently being added to many of our busiest intersections to some of the crowding is being addressed.

If you're concerned, rent a place here in January and February and decide. That's the only way that you'll know.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:58 AM
Default 100% Agree

Just wanted to say I completely agree. We are originally from NY, then lived in South FL for 38 years. Talk about traffic and crowded restaurants...it's like being "in season" all the time! It depends where you come from, but we cannot think of a lovelier, aesthetically pleasing, friendlier,, active place to be! Coming up for 5 years, living here full time a year and a half. We love it here...true paradise!
Closed Thread

Tags
thought, enjoy, villages, people, crowds

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.