Cost of TV Housing for Budgeting / Retirement Planning Purposes

Closed Thread
Old 01-31-2022, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
For those thinking about moving to the villages as well as how to live on a future retirement income, here are the actual expenses of an average @2,000 sq ft designer 3 bedrooms, 2 bath, expenses for a year, built in 2019.

You can use these for monthly budgeting/forecasting, for retirement planning, etc. But these are actual average monthly expenses. By shopping around or doing something yourself, you can reduce the costs so this is just a representative example to use in planning.

Note that the forecasts are based upon assumed inflation rates, past performance does not guarantee future results. The biggest controllable fixed expense is in blue, the bond payment

finance guy
Your numbers are pretty close to mine except for the cable/internet. When I look at that spreadsheet and see over $5k for tv/internet in 2031, I'd find something else to do. I'm at $130/month for YouTubeTV and internet and if YTTV climbs any higher I'll drop it and look for something else.
Old 01-31-2022, 09:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noslices1 View Post
I don’t pay nearly that amount, but then again, I’ve always been below average.
That's what she said. Sorry, couldn't resist - you left the door wide open :-)
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current
Old 01-31-2022, 09:57 AM

We have lived here as season residents since 2011 and we bought a pre-owned designer home that was built in 2001. I have kept a spreadsheet of [U]ALL/U] of my HOUSING expenses (including taxes, home & cart insurance, lawn maintenance, cable, all purchases & repairs, amenity fees, and every incidental - EVERYTING). That has included things like roof replacement, furnace/AC replacement, new flooring, new appliances, and purchase of a golf cart. My annual expenses have ranged between $10,000 when we moved in and hadn't started making renovations or repairs to $33,000 when we had to replace the roof. For the 11 years our annual cost average is $15,380 or about $1,300 a month.

So if you were trying to get an estimate of what it cost to own a home in The Villages, I would budget a range from $1,100 to $1,500 a month. And since our bond was already paid when we bought, you need to add bond payments to that average which vary depending on where/when the house was built.
Old 01-31-2022, 10:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboutj View Post
Your numbers are pretty close to mine except for the cable/internet. When I look at that spreadsheet and see over $5k for tv/internet in 2031, I'd find something else to do. I'm at $130/month for YouTubeTV and internet and if YTTV climbs any higher I'll drop it and look for something else.
I agree that the current cost is not optimal, because its a rental and has internet and a cable hi speed spectrum package, but I don't disagree with the concept of dropping cable packages at the current time. .

However, if you think that streaming after taking over from cable, won't increase their costs for their central office equipment and service in the future, as if cable in the past was the same price forever, you might not understand profit motives for bonus plans. Streaming will be ubiquitous in the future, the question you can't answer definitively, is that the future price will be the same as now, as demand continues to increase and speed continues to increase, and content will continue to increase. . I put that into the higher inflation category, being conservative for expense planning.

switching costs may be low currently, but that's not a guarantee in the future
Old 01-31-2022, 11:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,036 Times in 2,731 Posts

Quote:
I agree that the current cost is not optimal, because its a rental and has internet and a cable hi speed spectrum package, but I don't disagree with the concept of dropping cable packages at the current time. .

However, if you think that streaming after taking over from cable, won't increase their costs for their central office equipment and service in the future, as if cable in the past was the same price forever, you might not understand profit motives for bonus plans. Streaming will be ubiquitous in the future, the question you can't answer definitively, is that the future price will be the same as now, as demand continues to increase and speed continues to increase, and content will continue to increase. . I put that into the higher inflation category, being conservative for expense planning.

switching costs may be low currently, but that's not a guarantee in the future
Our internet and Television budget for the Villages is $0.00. Our Mobil phone carrier is Xfinity Mobile. As an Xfinity Mobil customer we get free mobil hotspots wherever available throughout the USA. We get a very strong free WiFi signal at our Villages home, both our I Pads run very fast and that’s all we need. For television, we have an antenna in our attic with a signal amplifier so we get free TV. We get all four major networks, NBC, Fox, ABC, and CBS. When the weather is bad, sometimes we lose our CBS signal, but the other three hold strong. Each network has several “sister channels” that show great old re-runs. Shows like All in the family, Mash, Hogans Hero’s, Cheers, Taxi, Tim the Tool Man, The Munsters, Colombo, Mary Tyler Moore, Two and a half men, etc…. are always available.

Up north, I have way more free time, so a cable package with sports is a must, but down here there is always something to do and watching television is typically an afterthought. We are always busy outdoors until dark, then dinner, the nightly cribbage game, a long swim in our backyard pool, walk the dog, and it’s time for the 11:00 news. The only way I would see us getting paid cable television in the Villages would be If we put up a big flatscreen in the birdcage that we could watch from the pool, but then we might never get out?
Old 01-31-2022, 11:11 AM

I would add lawn care and pest control @$150/month
Old 01-31-2022, 11:29 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietpine View Post
It's in there.
Old 01-31-2022, 12:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietpine View Post
its in there, no? i know the picture isn't great, but that's what's in there, exactly at that amount. .

or it should have been because that's on my excel here

That's obviously something someone can reduce with self maintenance
Old 01-31-2022, 12:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,251 Times in 4,283 Posts

Quote:
well Mr scrooge who loves to fire one liners that don't help anyone, how about some details for savings for people looking to estimate their retirement planning? or their budget for moving down here. .

If you share, you might find out that you might be more of an average nobody as the rest of us are. .
Looks like someone has a case of the Mondays...

-Tom Petty
Old 01-31-2022, 01:48 PM

Good to know current numbers. I just bought a CYV a few months ago and this is what it cost per month.

2006 Courtyard Villa 1,400SF
Utilities $285
Gas-Teco $40
Electric- Seco $70
Lawn Service $30 (no grass)
Comcast Xfinity $80
Utube TV $70
Home Ins $100
Umbrella $18
Golf Cart Ins $18
Prop Tax $275
Pest Control $15
Bond-Paid 00
Cleaning Srv $125. (1 x per mo)
TOTAL $1,126.00 per month

I also pay $70.00 per year for dryer vent cleaning, $160.00 per year to have the exterior power washed. I paid $190.00 for a 2x per year HVAC service contract (not sure if that one is worth it)
There is a termite bond in place for the next 3 years. That will cost $600? and then $100 a year or something like that and I have a whole house surge protector from Secco that's good for another 2 years. That will cost $350.00 and last 15 years. The roof needs to be replaced in 2 years and that's $10,000., the water heater has seen better days $1,500? and everything else is new.

This does not include food, wine and entertainment. We won't talk about that
Old 01-31-2022, 01:55 PM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi
Default FRom whst I have seen on different wsebsite on U2 that promote the village

Quote:
hmmm, you must have lived through the 70's inflation spiral. . not sure that this bout of inflation will turn into a spiral, due to falling real wages, and technology productivity increases, which is why i didn't go hog wild on the inflationary part. . .

all your forecast comments come from experience, and a new house has less break fix for sure, and lower insurance potentially. .

good point about a pool, any annual cost estimates to add for the estimates?

Likewise, after looking at this, paying off the bond seems like a very good idea this year. . . coachk volunteered the option to save further on the retirement costs, while still working and able to replace the savings lost over the next year or two.

finance guy
It is very expensive to live there, put if you like playing golf and living in a bubble go for it. They don't have community travel also which could cost you a lot of out-of-pocket expenses
Old 01-31-2022, 05:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelfmi View Post
It is very expensive to live there, put if you like playing golf and living in a bubble go for it. They don't have community travel also which could cost you a lot of out-of-pocket expenses
you miss the buy point? or dreaming beyond your means? TV isn't for everybody, agree with that, and expensive is always relative to wealth available. . .

not sure why you need to pollute the discussion, with generalities.
Old 01-31-2022, 10:20 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelfmi View Post
It is very inexpensive to me coming from Newport Beach, CA.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-01-2022, 07:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Looks like someone has a case of the Mondays...
How about 24" of white **** all over the lawn, two weeks of daily temps between 0 and 20 degrees. . . that's enough to make any working stiff stiffer. . And the acting classes every weekday between 9 to 5 gets worse and worse. .

my boss is full of

and I got my 5 year award this week, and that's my limit for any one company, and I don't have another 5 year stint in me, with 1 year to go to medicare. . .

I am giving the snowblower away with the house when we sell it.
Old 02-01-2022, 10:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,251 Times in 4,283 Posts

Quote:
How about 24" of white **** all over the lawn, two weeks of daily temps between 0 and 20 degrees. . . that's enough to make any working stiff stiffer. . And the acting classes every weekday between 9 to 5 gets worse and worse. .

my boss is full of

and I got my 5 year award this week, and that's my limit for any one company, and I don't have another 5 year stint in me, with 1 year to go to medicare. . .

I am giving the snowblower away with the house when we sell it.
I hear ya'!

I've got an A-h*le for a boss, as well... Oh, wait, I own the business... Er, my initial comment stands...

When we were back up in the DC area last month, we had that snowstorm that shut down the city (and 95-S in VA). Took me 2 hrs to drive the 6 miles to get out of the city and 2.5 hrs to drive the 14 miles home...

2 years, 3 months left on my lease... Working on my exit strategy as we speak... Sooner, if possible...

Till then, I'll be a snowflake and come down as much as I can...

The "real" Boss, otoh, is now back in TV, playing golf this afternoon... But I'm not jealous... Nope, not one bit...

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
expenses, retirement, planning, average, monthly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.