Real estate terms used in Florida

Closed Thread
Old 03-31-2011, 10:11 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57
Default Real estate terms used in Florida

I have a question reguarding terminology used on some property listings. I could not locate the terms listed on any Florida real estate sites. What do the following terms mean?

"No wires", "No bonds", and "gray pipes replaced".

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
I have a question reguarding terminology used on some property listings. I could not locate the terms listed on any Florida real estate sites. What do the following terms mean?

Don, I am also seriously considering moving to TV in the future.

"No wires" - I don't know what that means. Maybe no overhead power wires in the area of that home?

"gray pipes replaced" I believe in the older sections of TV there were some kind of gray pipes installed when the homes were built - for what purpose I don't know. From what I can tell, it is probably good if a home you are considering has had the gray pipes replaced -- but someone correct me if I am wrong on this.

"No Bond" A bond is defined as - from Z Caveman's Nuts and Bolts of The Villages: "Bonds: The purpose of the bond is to recover the costs of the infrastructure (sewer, water, streets, electric, cable, etc.) in your section. The bond is calculated based on the cost of the infrastructure for that section divided by the number of houses in the section. The annual amount of the bond payoff will be part of your property tax bill. I am pretty sure that the bond is a 30 year bond at 7% interest. It is like a 30 year mortgage. The bonds are fairly high south of 466. The bond goes down very little each year as most of the payment goes to interest. Be very sure to cover the bond, bond payment, length of the bond interest rate and payoff options with your sales rep or realtor. If you are buying a pre-owned property, be sure to find out how much is left on the bond."

As far as I know, the homes in TV located in Lake County do not have a bond. The TV homes located in Marion and Sumter Counties have bonds. Some pre-owned homes may already have had their bonds paid by the previous owner or are partially paid off. I believe if a home still has a bond balance, you pay that along with your property tax bill.

Good luck to you and welcome to TOTV.

Laura
Old 04-01-2011, 01:37 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

I believe that "grey pipes" refers to drain or sewer pipes as opposed to white pipes that carry the fresh water to sinks and toilets. The color terms are probably used more frequently in camping trailers than they are in the home.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 04-01-2011, 05:39 AM
Veteran member
Default Grey Pipes

Grey pipe was used in the 80's in many homes. The pipe carries the hot and cold water. The pipe is OK but the fittings (elbows, "T" & couplers) will break where the pipe make the connection. It appears to be mostly in the manufactured homes in TV. If you have these fittings they can be replaced with "sharkbite fittings" ( Home Depot). I talk to tech support at the manufacture. They will not guarantee the connection but have many reports of plumbers using them with success. I have used them about a dozen times in tight sitution and behind walls.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:59 AM
Sage

Quote:

DonH57,
The bonds and gray pipes have been explained. I suspect "no wires" refers to overhead power lines, but you can always check with the listing agent.

Sounds like you are considering a move to TV. Am I right?
Old 04-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Thanks for all the responses. In reviewing some listings those items stuck out so I thought I would ask. We are in the planning stages of relocating to tv and we are trying to learn as much as possible before hand and will return to look at available properties. We have found this site to be very usefull so far. Thanks again.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses. In reviewing some listings those items stuck out so I thought I would ask. We are in the planning stages of relocating to tv and we are trying to learn as much as possible before hand and will return to look at available properties. We have found this site to be very usefull so far. Thanks again.
Welcome Don!

When you have a question, ask it here. In the middle of the night, or you just can't wait, see the search option at the top of the page? Type in the words, and you will see some of the stuff, already said.

The nuts and bolts section is excellent.

Please remember this, this is a retirement community. You may be mowed down by runners, bikers, and even skaters. You will surely see a lot of beautiful and varied golf carts, fast and slow. You will run into a bunch of opionated old f--ts and most of them are right, but it isn't likely you will change their minds, so don't waste too much time on that.

People will wave and smile at you, hug you, pat you on the back, shake your hand and invite you to golf, pickleball, bowl, dance, party, exercise, and drink.

This is a very diverse political community. We have mostly Republicans and a lot of people who don't agree with them. We all get along fine.

If you are big on lawn ornaments than you need to seek out the Northern villages that allow them. If you call them lawn trash, your best bet is the newer ones.

If your wife looks great in a bikini and is 40 years younger than you. She is not allowed at the Hadley pool. No exceptions. My rule.

If you have run into a few major heart breaking events, pretty scary things, some big health emergencies and some awful disappointments, than you will be like most of us, and have gained some major compassion and understanding of others because of them. If you haven't, please don't, because we will soon learn to care about you.

If you are looking to live. We are too.

Come on down.

Welcome.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
If your wife looks great in a bikini and is 40 years younger than you. She is not allowed at the Hadley pool. No exceptions. My rule.
OBJECTION YOUR GRACE! I need something to eventually get me out of the house and to the pool! The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.