Decorating

Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2015, 04:40 PM
deestatham
Default Decorating

We are moving to TV within the next few months and have decided to rent a furnished house for a while. We're selling everything we have here in Maryland. My question is this - I'd like to have an interior decorator decorate the house we finally purchase but don't know how expensive they are in TV. I'm not very good at decorating so I feel this is the best move for me. Any thoughts from any of you on this decision?
Old 04-04-2015, 05:21 PM

You're going to have so much fun!!

Home decorating is my hobby, so I have not used a decorator. I have one suggestion. Once you are here, watch the Home and Garden section of the Saturday paper. Ruth Dyer has a column there each week. You can get a feel for her style, read her article, get her phone number, etc. Her style is lovely. Maybe she will be the one for you.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:24 PM
deestatham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Ann View Post
You're going to have so much fun!!

Home decorating is my hobby, so I have not used a decorator. I have one suggestion. Once you are here, watch the Home and Garden section of the Saturday paper. Ruth Dyer has a column there each week. You can get a feel for her style, read her article, get her phone number, etc. Her style is lovely. Maybe she will be the one for you.
Thanks Judith Ann. I think I saw the name Ruth Dyer mentioned elsewhere on TOTV so she must be pretty good. Wish I had the talent but I'm a klutz. Looking forward to FINALLY getting to TV. Hope its as great as everyone says and I'm sure it is.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Like with everything, you can/will determine how great TV is in your world. I pinch myself every day. Yes, I am here. I love it. There are some people here that act like they are in prison. Well, leave if it is that bad. I personally can't imagine how this could not be the best place ever to live. Enjoy and welcome.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:52 PM
Gold member

Like above poster I love decorating too! my suggestion is hold on to your money, watch home and garden, read the column in Sundays paper , get tips from those of us who love to decorate and join the decorating club!
Old 04-04-2015, 05:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulahips View Post
Like above poster I love decorating too! my suggestion is hold on to your money, watch home and garden, read the column in Sundays paper , get tips from those of us who love to decorate and join the decorating club!

I love decorating too. I like to see what the trending colors are and what the "new" accessories are being used, but everyone will have their own idea of beautiful. I like every style except two; glass and steel contemporary and primitive, like Williamsburg.

Every home I have entered has been welcoming and lovely. I wish we could have kept the decorating club going I started a while back. Maybe we could try again. I just wanted to get together and hear what everyone had done, were planning to do, were working on, or had finished and who and what they found that was helpful.

Anyone want to try for again for a SMALL decorating group??
Old 04-04-2015, 06:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,163 Times in 436 Posts

Another suggestion, clip magazines like crazy (I love Southern Living), styles that appeal to you!...It will give your decorator a head's up on your taste....You will be amazed the great job that you can do. Many furniture stores have a decorator on call that will be more than happy to help you. Many of the model homes decorated by Village staff will also give you ideas....Enjoy this adventure.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:13 PM

Give yourself a chance. Take your time. Have some fun.

What colors make you most comfortable in a room?

Do you like rooms that are traditional? Casual? Contemporary? Eclectic?

What kind of floors do you want? In what rooms?

What kind of window treatments? -- Lately, I am all about plantation shutters. Never thought about having them in Ohio. Really like having them in Florida.

Look for accessories that speak to and of you.

And especially keep your eyes open for things you would like to hang on your walls. I have found things everywhere from art festivals to Goodwill. In fact, I unearthed two of my favorite pictures at Goodwill. One cost 4 dollars. The other 10 dollars. -- But then I splurged a little on matting and framing because I liked those finds so much. I even got the kind of glass that will protect them from fading from the light. -- But I also found a perfect frame at Michael's for a photograph I bought at a show here in TV. Things for your walls do not have to be expensive. Look for things that are not like what everybody else has. This is your house. Let it reflect you. (If you already have some pictures and accessories you really love, pack them and bring them along.)

If you really want to be overwhelmed with ideas, there are two websites that will do that. One is art.com and the other is houzz.com

And if you do some of the things suggested here in this thread, but still end up with a decorator, you will find you have more confidence in your choices and in your communication with her.

Have a good time.

Last edited by Laurie2; 04-04-2015 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-04-2015, 07:41 PM
Sage
Smile

Find photos in magazines of beautiful rooms that are your style. Copy the decor to your own room. The internet is your friend for decorating. I've been disappointed trying to find curtains and pillows at the local stores. Ended up shopping on the internet for those and couldn't be happier.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:20 PM

Gracie, I would love a small group. We finally sold our home in Mexico and will be arriving in the Villages in mid June.We will be renting for several months while searching for a place to buy. I would say my style is organic, eclectic with clean, simple lines. I love touches of traditional with a modern punch. The most important thing to me is to create a warm, loving ambiance. Please let me know if a small group can be organized....I am happy to help and excited to be on another adventure!
Old 04-06-2015, 07:37 PM

I love to decorate but would love a SMALL decorating club to join. I would be willing to help with the club also.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:15 PM

I would also like to share ideas ,tips and (places to find items in a 50 mile radius of TV,) in a group.
I suggest that one interested in creating a pleasing home environment do the following. Wait before jumping into a project. Sit in the room and get a " feel" for the use of the room, the light fixture needs ( reading, ambiance, ) location of plugs. How will you one move about in the room (traffic flow), space between , and around the furniture pieces you plan to have or need to have.
Decide on a theme or style that you can live with. Heavy furniture and dark colors can work here contrary to opinions. Start by creating a multi sectioned file . In this file save , 1. Colors that appeal to you,2 room pictures from magazines of themes or styles, . Nautical, cottage,water / sea l, Asian,greenery/ garden,floral are all possible themes
Choosing furniture colors will help you decide what wall colors can be. Remember that couch is going to be in the room awhile. If it is fairly neutral you can change out the pillows, pictures, lamps, rugs, easier and less expensively . You can also find a fabric or favorite picture and pull your main color and lesser colors from them.
I hope this gives you a start. Anyone interested can PM me. I am not a certified decorator but I do have a talent and help for free. I also show new TV the local thrift, consignment and galleries.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:41 AM

We have friends from Chicago who rented a house here for a month and found a home two weeks after they got here. They were so glad they had only rented a furnished home for a month. If you don't find something, you can extend your stay, but I feel confident you will find something you like fairly quick. Our friends found a lovely NEW home in LaBelle that was completely furnished and it was beautifully decorated. Everything was perfectly coordinated, including the pictures on the walls. Even the slats in the headboards matched the backs of the chairs in the kitchen. It was not overdone and it was really high quality furniture that you could add to in order to bring in your own personal sense of style. The only things our friends had to get was dishes, sheets, etc. You will have lots of choices. Good luck. You will love it here.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:34 PM

I, too , would love to join a small decorating/home design club. It will be great to exchange ideas on paint colors and get others opinions, etc. I just purchased a CYV and have started decorating. I sold every piece of my previous furniture before moving . I want this home to be very different from my previous home up north and I really wanted to change my style. I find myself going back to my old ways. LOL

I really want an HGTV type look. My style is eclectic and usually more traditional – now I want transitional. But I'm struggling so I may look for a decorator's help for final touches . A decorating club might do the trick as well.

What can we do to get the decorating club up and going?
Old 04-07-2015, 12:40 PM

I've been keeping a large expandable folder with subdivided sections for the past two years. It's divided by rooms and exterior, plus miscellaneous sections. I clip everything I like and will decide later. I also set up boards on Pinterest for my future home. That's a great source of inspiration. I've used a decorator in the past, but now do my own. Who knows better than you what you like? However, that being said, decorators often have great sources for one-of-a-kind works of art, etc. And they can rein you in if you wander off into the realm of painting your house like a rainbow...although, again, to each his own.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.