deposit anxiety

Closed Thread
Old 04-20-2011, 09:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookBarb View Post
Can they really get homes built in 90 days? When we built before it was at least 6 months. We are so anxious to move to TV. Please say they can complete our home in 90 days!
There is another thread on here that I read recently. It varies by cottage vs. designer and by the current sales volume. Generally the range is about 60-70 days.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:04 AM
Default Deposit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhooman View Post
We purchased a lot in Buttonwood last July. We retired in January, put our home on the market Jan. 15th and we are still waiting patiently for a wonderful buyer. We have until July to begin building in Buttonwood or return the lot and bank our deposit with The Villages. We love our lot, but if we don't sell, at least we have a choice for another lot. Saying all that, we are in a place called a "Holding Pattern". This holding pattern is very uncomfortable because we want to play with the big kids in The Villages. We want to be frogs, NOW.

However, I know all you folks have gone through this and you made it to Dizzyland. With this knowledge I can be a bit more patient, plus TV gives us so many options, because they understand the market.

Hang in there, keep visiting TOTV, it has a wealth of information and you will make wonderful pre-friends. We our taking this journey one day at a time, at least trying to be in the day.

Watch out folks here we come.
How does the "bank your deposit" work? Thanks
Old 04-21-2011, 08:12 AM
Gold member
Default Pturner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Hi soon-to-be frogs,

I'm not familiar with the process as we purchased a resale in TV. But I'm responding to offer moral support. How many times have we all worried about something that didn't end up happening? Yep, we worried for naught. And we hate worrying, right? And worrying never got the job done, right?

On the other hand, say worse comes to worse and your house isn't sold in 12 months. Well, then you can start worrying-- although even then you have options besides loosing your deposit!

In the meantime there are plenty of productive and exciting things you can do to reduce the chances of not selling your house within a year. Price it to sell! (That's cheaper than losing your deposit, right?) Spruce it up. Use a highly recommended Realtor who has expertise in staging. Hold open houses.

And instead of worry, worry, worry-- dream, dream, dream! Sure, that's easier said than done. But it's more productive and makes more sense when you think about it.

So... dream on. Dream on. Dream until your dreams come true.

You've got the entire active membership of TOTV rooting for you!

Love and best wishes,
P
As usual well said.,. you can turn a phrase.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Default Working with designer

As for the question of having a designer help with selections, if there is such a service available it must be fairly new. We made our selections last July and only had the realtor to work with. We commented at the time that they needed a better system for helping folks make selections. We looked at samples then walked from model to model to see what each finish looked like in the space. It was very tedious and time consuming not to mention that it was a hot, hot July day. What they really need is a nice design center with trained professionals to help with selections. Maybe that's what they are working toward now. I'd be curious to know if anyone who has bought recently has had access to a designer when selecting finishes.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:45 PM
Default We had help

We purchased our lot last September and immediately worked with both our salesman and a design person who was assigned to us to review our options for our Gardenia. As pointed out, the system is not perfect even with the assistance of the designer. We trudged to and fro, back and forth to the model homes (then located in Buttonwood) to make our choices.

I recall the designer saying at one point that TV had just restored the design assistance program. Perhaps it is no longer in use. In reality, as the buyer, you're making all the decisions and in our case, the designer provided minimal advice and suggestion.

We return in late May for another week in our Buttonwood home and by then, our Connectcitu home will be on the market and optimistically not for long. Retirement arrives on Sept. 30. Holding onto two homes for more than a year is not something I want keeping me awake at night.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:30 PM
Default lot contract

We plan to put a year hold on a lot for 7500 and reviewed the contract. There is no language that allows you to change lots , just a verbal allegation.

We realize a risk accordingly and so should everyone else. Bottom line the "family" is in control and do and change policy not in writing at any time
Old 04-21-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnterri View Post
We went through the process of selecting our home and options April 3 and 4. There is no design center. All selections are made by viewing several models with your realtor and selecting tile, cabinets, inside and outside lights, faucets, appliances, counter tops, etc.. Your exterior color will determine your outside lighting. We put our 20% down April 9 and our Lot was surveyed yesterday. Our closing date is June 23.
It is also my understanding that you can change your Lot once but that does not extend your one year committment to build.
We also were down and selected our options on April 5. We did exactly what you stated. i was truly tired. But our sales rep. Bryan Thrayer was very helpful and offered many great ideas. I think it did help us that for the last year I have done a lot of reasearch on TOTV. I do like the idea how everything is a package. We never felt rushed. Our closing date is June 24.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:29 PM

BookBarb - we built our designer home in Buttonwood last summer. Contracted in mid April, closed near the end of June. There was even a glitch that the builder had to correct during the building process and I was concerned about meeting the agreed upon closing date - but the builder said "No worries; we can build one of these homes in 30 days." And it's quality construction, too. My husband went to our lot early one morning and said that around 10 minutes to 7am the stream of contractors came up the road. They swarm workers onto a home site like an Amish barn-raising. And they've kinda done it a few times, so I think they've got it down to a science.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:31 PM
Default Current policy on deposit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
As mentioned, you can move the deposit at the end of the year time to a new lot. This can be done one time. But you don't need to pick the new lot right away. As long as you commit to build by the time TV closes out (4 years?).
Hi Russ, Policy has changed according to our agent. No longer can you deposit your "deposit" with TV. You must build or buy new construction or lose your deposit. My husband saw your earlier posts on this policy and questioned our agent on this very thing. No can do...
Went by your home (we think) during our month's stay in March and it's lovely!
Corner lot from previous posts, right? Hope to meet you someday. We're trying for Sanibel lots as soon as they are released. BUT still also have the anxiety of selling in CT!
Old 04-21-2011, 05:33 PM
Default Also..

As I'm sure Russ can testify, I believe build time is 70 DAYS!
Old 04-21-2011, 05:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzjay View Post
As I'm sure Russ can testify, I believe build time is 70 DAYS!
Yes, that was my experience in January.

Yes ,you can't deposit with TV any anything but new construction.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sands View Post
BookBarb - we built our designer home in Buttonwood last summer. Contracted in mid April, closed near the end of June. There was even a glitch that the builder had to correct during the building process and I was concerned about meeting the agreed upon closing date - but the builder said "No worries; we can build one of these homes in 30 days." And it's quality construction, too. My husband went to our lot early one morning and said that around 10 minutes to 7am the stream of contractors came up the road. They swarm workers onto a home site like an Amish barn-raising. And they've kinda done it a few times, so I think they've got it down to a science.
Thanks so much for easing my concerns. I feel so much better now knowing that we will be moving before the holidays. We are so looking forward to be residents of TV.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:50 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Or shorter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookBarb View Post
My husband and i are planning to move to TV in early November. We are scheduled to meet with the design team in July. Can they really get homes built in 90 days? When we built before it was at least 6 months. We are so anxious to move to TV. Please say they can complete our home in 90 days!
Our house was built in 57 days. What's this design team people are mentioning. We didn't have a design team! However, our home is beautiful.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 04-22-2011, 06:00 AM

Just think positive and the right buyers will buy your home. We put our home on the market in mid-December and then left for TV until April 1. Our "friends" and family said there is no way our home would sell in this market and particulary near the resort area in which we live. We returned from TV without placing a deposit down on the lot as we were told the "rules" had changed and no longer could we "transfer" the money to another lot or home after one year. So, being conservative as we are, we wanted money in hand before we contracted or put a reserve on a lot. That, it appears, will happen in 45 days as our house sold 6 days after we came home, so TV here we come too! My only, unsolicited comment, is to make sure the home is priced properly and you have a good agent. There are many homes in our area still for sale as they are sticking with prices that were good several years ago and will not accept the downturn in value of homes in the U.S. All the very best of success to you. We reduced our home as we added great value on the other end for us to be in TV for lifestyle and quality of life reasons.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALYBOW View Post
Our house was built in 57 days. What's this design team people are mentioning. We didn't have a design team! However, our home is beautiful.
On the Villages web site under "Build your Dream home" it says you will be "assigned someone in our professional design team" free of charge to help you make selections. When I asked my realtor he said I make selections with him. Maybe they had a design team at one point, but from the posts it does not sound like they did. There is also a video of a lovely couple building in St. James so it is current. Maybe they are planning to have one in the future and that is why the web site says what it does. A bit confusing but we will work it all out.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.