Design choices in new homes

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2019, 05:25 AM
Default Design choices in new homes

For anyone who has bought a new home south of 44, how much customization are you allowed? I would like to have things like body sprays in the shower, a 48” wide refrigerator, and higher ceilings in a designer home. Are these types of options available or do you just have to accept the standard?
Old 05-09-2019, 05:51 AM

Ronnie, there are many options but they depend on your lot and the model. We extended our garage 15 feet, our lanai 10 feet and added a porch.

Best thing to do is to work with your Villages Sales Rep who can tell you what is available and probably take you on a tour of the design center.

Also, be sure to tour the homes for sale; take pictures and make a comprehensive list of what you like and want.
Born and raised in Toronto; also lived in Sudbury and Winnipeg while growing up; migrated to Atlanta where I lived for almost 30 years and also spent a year in Milan and two years in Rochester, MN (brrrr).

Last edited by FenneyGuy; 05-09-2019 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:18 AM

How do you like Fenney? I ate at the grill and thought it was great....good food.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie61 View Post
How do you like Fenney? I ate at the grill and thought it was great....good food.
Bonnie, It is decent food. I doubt you will be able to get custom showers and biggum refrigerators but let us know.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
We love living here in Fenney. We are on Wood Stork Way at the bottom of the cul de sac.
Born and raised in Toronto; also lived in Sudbury and Winnipeg while growing up; migrated to Atlanta where I lived for almost 30 years and also spent a year in Milan and two years in Rochester, MN (brrrr).
Old 05-09-2019, 07:16 AM

There are several models with 10' ceilings...The new version of the Bridgeport; Lantana-10, Laurel Oak-10; Iris-10...probably others. You can find homes that have the 10' ceilings on the website. We've seen one shower with the "rain forest" heads...reminds us of a car wash.... Otherwise, check with an experienced agent. They know what's out there and what can be changed. It seems that the developer has more flexibility than in past years.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:21 AM

Ronnie, we have an Iris-10. If you'd like to see it, let me know.

Bob
Old 05-09-2019, 08:34 AM

We stretched our Woodside in several directions, took out a wall in the kitchen area, stretched the garage. I wanted a higher garage door opening. The estimated up-charge nixed that idea. Of course now it is offered. My truck fits in the garage so it is good.

I felt we were only limited to what the lot would hold and what the wallet would allow.

Loving McClure so far, they are finishing up on the last of the homes around us.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Quote:
For anyone who has bought a new home south of 44, how much customization are you allowed? I would like to have things like body sprays in the shower, a 48” wide refrigerator, and higher ceilings in a designer home. Are these types of options available or do you just have to accept the standard?
We bought a lot and built several years ago, we then worked with our sales agent to get several, but not all the customization's we wanted. For example we could not get 9 foot ceiling in the garage, but we did get several stretches. Your sales agent will be able to help.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:05 PM
Veteran member

Here is what I don't understand - why can't I pick a house and do a total design so I know the cost THEN pick out a lot when the ones I want come open. Seems like it would be a good sales tool for TV. I know I want to buy a lot and build when they are almost back up to Brownwood, and would like to know the exact cost when I pick the lot, but you can't do that as far as I know.

So does building cost about the same as a spec home?
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 07-02-2019, 08:59 PM

I would say in general specs are cheaper than build your own. But it really depends on your decisions in design. If you go for all the standard stuff your house would be as cheap or cheaper. The design is kind of a weird process where you get the number at the end. Our final number was about 10% higher than we planned to spend, but we did a lot of upgrades and expansions of bedrooms and lanai. If I were building again I would first decide on the model and options you want. The sales rep can give you a general price point and then look at lots that will fit your model. Add the lot premium to your model cost and you should be pretty close on the price.

For customization, I would say you can do a lot. We almost made major changes to our Putnam to try and add a kitchen nook and move the kitchen toward the front and the front bedroom to the back. Design drew up the plans and said there was no additional costs. We decided against it but they were willing to do it. Obviously pushing out walls and extending garages and Lanai can be done if it fits on the lot. I will say some things such as bathroom mirrors and lighting had limited choices when we designed last year.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenneyGuy View Post
Ronnie, we have an Iris-10. If you'd like to see it, let me know.

Bob
What is the difference between an Iris-10 and regular Iris?
Snow Flake until I retire
Closed Thread

Tags
home, higher, ceilings, refrigerator, designer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.