Did anyone else receive a gift certificate for Restaurant w/ new home purchase?

Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2015, 02:18 PM
Default Did anyone else receive a gift certificate for Restaurant w/ new home purchase?

We just moved in on Thursday and had a lady with a Villages name tag stop by the house and said she needed our information for a restaurant gift card we receive complimentary as new homeowners. She advised my husband that she would be calling him Friday and we haven't heard from anyone. Just a little concerned because she now knows a lot of our info and I want to make sure it is legitimate.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:35 PM
Gold member

Lots of scammers prey on new residents. Trust your feelings.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:19 PM
Veteran member

I did get 2 restaurant gift cards but they were personally delivered by my Villages sales agent.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

We got so many of these free meals offers when we moved in................all were water purification/filter companies. Ended up sitting through 2 sessions, until I realized what was going on.
There are several threads on the water filter/softener, versus the water quality. Please search these before you make any hasty, and expensive decisions.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:29 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

When we moved, a year ago - same thing. She came and arranged an appt (said she was TV Welcome Lady)... As it turned out it was for an in-home presentation for Pegasus water system. Not quite a scam, but close. Listened to the guy for an hour, he tested the water -- ours turned brown and yucky... I asked him to do the same test with bottled water we had - he relunctantly did - IT turned same brown. I KNEW It!!! His answer, "Ther are no federal standards on bottled water. OMG... He then offered the system for $3500.00... OMG - declined of course. He called the owner of Pegasus before leaving, we overheard the conv - He yelled out "How about $3 Thousand? As he was leaving I said - What about the restaurant card? He shyly handed it to us. Warning.

We eventually got a nice water softener from Home Depot, water tested - just great.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

No restaurant certificates but a certificate for our lamp post sign from our realtor.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Don't let your guard down now that you live here. Give your personal information to NOONE !!! You are now living in a wonderful place, but there are some with less than honorable intentions. Just like anywhere else. Most likely they'll push an overly expensive water system. There are less expensive options, and you might not need one at all.
What you will need soon is regular yard treatment (about $300 a year) and a lawn cutting service if you aren't going to cut your own ($50-60 month). You'll figure out in time what you need and don't need. Don't be in a hurry to spend money. And no doubt someone will want to paint or pave your driveway, sidewalks, and garage. And that ain't cheap !!! Good Luck and Welcome !!!
Old 02-02-2015, 07:03 PM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

Definitely a scam. She works for the water filtration company and this is how they get their foot in the door and then try to sell you a $5,000. system. It has been restaurants and gas in the past. RUNNNNNNNNN.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:35 PM
Veteran member

and never give out your phone number to anyone you don't know.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:35 PM
Platinum member

I still wonder how she finds out new people so quick. She must have a source for inside info on who is buying and when they close on their homes. She showed up here less than 3 hours after we closed on our home. I don't think it's public record that fast.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorisi View Post
We just moved in on Thursday and had a lady with a Villages name tag stop by the house and said she needed our information for a restaurant gift card we receive complimentary as new homeowners. She advised my husband that she would be calling him Friday and we haven't heard from anyone. Just a little concerned because she now knows a lot of our info and I want to make sure it is legitimate.
She is not your friend; she wants to sell you something.
You can get lots of free dinners for sitting through investment seminars, water filtration presentations, etc. Our mail is full of such offers.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:12 PM

Thank you everyone! She even had a "Villages " name badge on!! I wasn't there when she spoke to my mom and my husband but I did ask our agent about it when she dropped off a gift certificate for a sign. She said that she didn't know of any restaurant gift cards that are given out.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:39 PM

Be careful of all offers and people who solicit door-to-door, there are many. Slow down and do your research, then have input from a trusted friend who has completed all their work moving.

I have a real issue with someone forcing their cards, envelopes and other papers of solicitations through my door seal. I'm checking with local Law Officials as this may be unlawful and is Breaking and Entering my home.

I have called the companies who have used this tactic and got smart remarks that their company can solicit in any area of the Villages, by any means. I really don't think so and will pursue the issue.

Watch out and do your homework.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:46 PM

Scary, especially if you live by yourself. I'm about to close on my home while staying with friends, thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-03-2015, 03:35 PM
Email Reported As Spam

These new comers scams have been ongoing since The Villages inception. so I question how despite the number of complaints, etc how they can survive?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.