Distance

Closed Thread
Old 03-27-2011, 07:12 PM
Default Distance

As I previously posted we will be closing on our CYV in Tamarind Grove April 20th. I know there has been alot of discussion on the pros and cons of gas versus electric golf carts. However, looking at the distance from LAL and Tamarind Grove it appears to me that we will need to get a gas cart. I would apprieciate any input from those already living in Tamarind Grove, St. Charles, Buttenwood or other areas nearby.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Sage

newt - I think what you'll find is that everyone's going to have their own preference and a variety of reasons to support it. Some will tout the things that favor gas over electric............and visa versa. There have been a variety of threads covering this topic over time - a Search should yield some of them.

Ultimately, you'll need to do what it is that YOU feel comfortable with!

Bill
Old 03-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Newt...

Pros and Cons

Electric (which, in the spirit of full disclosure, we own)..

Quieter
No smell
Easier on my asthma for the no smell
about 50 miles per charge int he daylight

Gas
Noisier
Smellier
Some of the smell MAY be mitigated with premium fuel
Less worry about distance

I think that from TG to LSL you would have no worries with an electric, but if you were to go from TG to Lopez, play 18, then to LSL and then back to TG (with lights on) it might be tight.

k
Old 03-27-2011, 07:59 PM
nkrifats

Newt,
It is going to be a matter of what you are comfortable with. I chose a Gas cart as I use my cart like a second car. I travel everywhere with it and at times when I am down for a week with no car. I use the cart to get everywhere. I just feel more comfortable with the Gas Cart.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default I Live in Buttonwood

We have one of each. We rearely use our electric anymore and we were staunch electric cart fans. One day hubby golf early and I golfed right after him. I was falshing on "empty" when I cruised in the garage. Stressfull.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 03-28-2011, 07:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool One of each ...

Newt,
We have one of each...2011 Yamaha Gas and a Columbia Par Car Electric. I've had the gas for 4 months; the electric for 1 week.

In a word, the difference is "complexity". For the gas cart, all we do is keep gas in it and drive...no fuss, no muss...period.

For the electric, you need to keep it charged (overnight; every night); keep water in the batteries; consider the distance you will drive and whether you will need lights of not.

I love the electric....it's quite, smooth and I can listen to the radio without blasting it too loudly. We live in St. Charles and going to either square and returning [at night, with lights on and the radio blasting] is no problem for the Par Car.

The longest trip, so far, is St. Charles to Havana (18 holes) --> back to St. Charles --> St. Charles to Walmart --> Walmart to LSL via 466 trail and over the Morse bridge--> Dinner, Drinking and Dancing --> LSL to St. Charles (after dark). Still had battery left...no problem. This week, we will drive it to Lopez, play 18, go to dinner and drive it home after dark...that will be the test. I should add, the batteries are 10 months old, so relatively new.

As for the gas cart, I have no idea how far we've driven in one trip. When we just want to explore, we take the gas cart and have no worries about range.

Bottomline: If I could only have one cart, it would definitely be a gas cart.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:43 AM

Someone should develop a Hybrid Cart, like the Toyota Prius. Seems like the perfect solution. Unfortunately, TV is probably the only market. This has only become an issue with the overall growth in recent years.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:51 AM
Sage
Default Electric works for us..... but your mileage may vary

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Newt,
In a word, the difference is "complexity". For the gas cart, all we do is keep gas in it and drive...no fuss, no muss...period.

For the electric, you need to keep it charged (overnight; every night); keep water in the batteries; consider the distance you will drive and whether you will need lights of not.

<<Message snipped by Alan>>
This makes sense to me. A friend of mine has a gas cart because he does not wish to deal with range issues period. That makes sense for him and I cannot argue his logic. I only own electric carts and "probably" always will, but the batteries require care. If you wish to get electric, you need to understand the battery pack is the golf cart. You need to gain some knowledge in the golf cart forum on TOTV or other forums online about:
  1. How to properly break in a new battery pack.
  2. What is a pack's state of charge? How far should I drive my pack without shortening the life of the pack?
  3. How do I properly maintain batteries?
  4. Does the configuration of the pack matter? You must understand that a Par Car with 8-6v batteries will go MUCH further than a Club Car Precedent with 4-12V batteries.
  5. Alot of accessories, night driving? Do you need a voltage reducer?

None of it is complicated. Each item is important but IMO number two is the most overlooked. Many folks I talk to discharge their pack way too far too often which limits life of pack. When a friend tells you they go 45 miles on a charge, ask how far they discharged the pack, what is the SOC at end of ride.

Range seems important based on your post, so you may be like my friend who went with gas, no worries for range (although he did forget to fill up once when it was his turn to drive ). Here are some general numbers from my carts over the last three years (your cart may differ):
  • My Par Car and a Club Car with 8-6v batteries will reliably go 40+ miles.
  • My "new to me" '02 Club cart with three year old 6-8v batteries will go 26+ miles (new should be closer to 35 miles).
Some quick looks at googlemaps for distances:
  • Buttonwood to Lopez about 10 miles each way
  • 18 holes of golf is 5-6 miles
  • Buttonwood to LSL is about 3.5 miles each way
  • Buttonwood to Spanish Springs is about 7 miles each way
Old 04-15-2011, 02:37 PM
Default Gas or electric or Solar?

I just looked up hybrid golf carts and came across a site called Helios solar panels for golf carts. Since Florida is know for sun, solar might be a great idea. What's interesting about this is the cart is always charging, and at night it can be plugged in if needed. Might be worth checking out?
Old 04-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Newt,
We have one of each...2011 Yamaha Gas and a Columbia Par Car Electric. I've had the gas for 4 months; the electric for 1 week.

I love the electric....it's quite, smooth and I can listen to the radio without blasting it too loudly. We live in St. Charles and going to either square and returning [at night, with lights on and the radio blasting] is no problem for the Par Car.

As for the gas cart, I have no idea how far we've driven in one trip. When we just want to explore, we take the gas cart and have no worries about range.

Bottomline: If I could only have one cart, it would definitely be a gas cart.
Ditto. We have both electric and gas and like both for different reasons. But, if we had to choose only one it would be gas.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:40 PM

Thanks to everyone for your input. Since I plan on using the cart as our primary transportation, I believe we will go with a gas cart.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:51 PM

I am not yet a resident of TV, but are there any initiatives from the residents for charging stations to be installed at the Rec Centers or other points? With the demand I would think this would be a highly requested service. Certainly, those utilizing would have to pay to refuel, but seems like this would be a natural as the community expands.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Sage

Since the lights affect the range at night, are there any LED headlights available??
Old 04-16-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnewt View Post
Thanks to everyone for your input. Since I plan on using the cart as our primary transportation, I believe we will go with a gas cart.
We aren't there yet, but plan to have one of each as I know "my car" will be a golf cart (gas) as another post stated. I've read about every post about golf carts and there are avid fans on both sides. We have riden in both. We did have an electric cart die on us in the parking lot at Mallory. Luckily the neighbor at the house we were renting was the caretaker for the owner. He came and rescued us. So, if you ever rent for a week or more and the owner has an electric, be sure to find out what to do if you get stranded. The problem we experienced wasn't low battery, but something else. I realize you can also have something go wrong with a gas cart too. Anything mechanical is subject to unexpected problems (like our real cars). Always ask who to call if you have any cart problems, gas or electric.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Since the lights affect the range at night, are there any LED headlights available??
That's a great question! I have looked and looked for LED headlights, but have not been successful.

I believe LED headlights would increase electric cart range... I have LED tail/brake lights, as well as LED side markers on my Par Car.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.