Distance

Closed Thread
Old 04-19-2011, 07:17 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
. The odometer said I went 26 miles (a better golfer may only have travelled 24 miles ).

We have an electric EZGO. Sunday went to Glenview, played 18, back to Bonita with 3/4 full charge. A few months back went to Alhambra gate and back and to Lopez and back in the same day (played 18 at Lopez). No lights involved - about 1/3 of a "tank" remaining.

I am a huge fan of electric carts - no smell, quieter, want to see the technology improve and mildly asthmatic. But, if, like Red and others, you are driving that baby around all day, gas may be the better choice.

k
Old 04-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default ajbrown is right unless

you get gel batteries, no fuss, no problem! Cost is about $300 more but will last as much as 8 years!

[QUOTE=ajbrown;341462]This makes sense to me. A friend of mine has a gas cart because he does not wish to deal with range issues period. That makes sense for him and I cannot argue his logic. I only own electric carts and "probably" always will, but the batteries require care.[*]Alot of will
Old 04-19-2011, 10:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
you get gel batteries, no fuss, no problem! Cost is about $300 more but will last as much as 8 years!
I did not know Gel batteries were that cheap, so I have never looked into the number of discharge cycles they can perform in a lifetime versus wet.

What batteries you referencing? I am indeed intrigued.

Thanks
Alan
Old 04-20-2011, 08:18 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
I did not know Gel batteries were that cheap, so I have never looked into the number of discharge cycles they can perform in a lifetime versus wet.

Thanks
Alan
Alan,

I really appreciate your knowledge on this topic and your willingness to share. I especially like that you don't make it a gas vs electric religious discussion, as I think carts are not "one size fits all."

k
Old 04-20-2011, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Not cheap

think around $1500....But well worth not having to hassle with them! Not sure if Sam's has Gel or not, you might get them cheaper....Ours cam with Cart, have not had to replace yet....A friend of ours has a 2002 Gem and still has original Gel batteries in cart!

Quote:

Thanks
Alan
Old 04-20-2011, 09:49 AM
Gold member

Once again, I'm not convinced about the orthodoxy of electric being a "hassle". Most carts have as an option an "auto-fill" capability which allows you to connect a water tank to a tube which then fills all of the cells automatically. I can fill all of my cells in about 45 seconds. Doing this twice a month takes a minute and a half. Compare that with the time to drive to a gas station and fill your gas tank.

Also, don't gas engines need to be tuned up and have their oil changed?
Old 04-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
think around $1500....But well worth not having to hassle with them! Not sure if Sam's has Gel or not, you might get them cheaper....Ours cam with Cart, have not had to replace yet....A friend of ours has a 2002 Gem and still has original Gel batteries in cart!
Oh, you have a Gem cart? Unless I am mistaken those are 72 volt (6-12v) packs?? I almost when I read $1500

My wifes cart will be getting new batteries within a year (6 - 8volt). It sure is confusing trying to understand wet versus AGM versus Gel deep cycle options. Seems AGM is king of technology right now, but most do not feel costs are worth benefit, so I will probably stick with Trojan for around $625.

Your friend having batteries since 2002 is quite amazing. I have read stories of folks using wet deep cycle batteries for more than 10 years. I am happy if I get four years!!

All interesting stuff to me....
Old 04-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Default AC Drive

We just got back from a week in TV - so jealous of you guys and can't wait to make the move. We stopped in to browse at Town and Country Golf Carts in Spanish Springs. The guy there was very high on a 2011 RXV electric. He said that because it was AC Drive it would go 70 miles between charges, batteries were warrantied for 4 years, no loss of power going up hills, etc. He made it seem like this was the best of worlds between a gas and an electric. Too good to be true?
Old 04-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspat View Post
We just got back from a week in TV - so jealous of you guys and can't wait to make the move. We stopped in to browse at Town and Country Golf Carts in Spanish Springs. The guy there was very high on a 2011 RXV electric. He said that because it was AC Drive it would go 70 miles between charges, batteries were warrantied for 4 years, no loss of power going up hills, etc. He made it seem like this was the best of worlds between a gas and an electric. Too good to be true?
I know he got one of three right. It really does do great up hills.....

Be careful with the others..... Just my opinion....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.