Do You Have Regrets After Moving To TV?

Closed Thread
Old 05-17-2019, 11:08 AM

As has been pointed out, there is going to be huge selection bias in the responses here. A more telling question might be: Do you know people who have moved away from TV and what their reasons were?

Uprooting & moving is a big life decision and people certainly want as many assurances as they can get that they're making a good choice (I do!). But one can only do so much research and must make a decision. A fear is that there's some big "gotcha!" lurking that you didn't think of and no one warned you about. I'm sure there are people who hit a "gotcha!" and moved out - or wish they could.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Wife and I from UK and have been Snowbirds for 20 years in TV.
Many many changes over that time, not all good in our eyes, but the basics have stayed the same.
Lots to do if you are so inclined, and plenty of time to contemplate your navel if that is also your want.
Never wanted to live here full time, but love the place when we are here.
People look a whole lot younger, driving is still exciting, and lets face it, you Yanks are never going to get the hang of roundabouts, however many times you survive going round them!!
We will be back again next winter, if we can keep avoiding the man with the scythe!
Old 05-17-2019, 02:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Wife and I from UK and have been Snowbirds for 20 years in TV.
Many many changes over that time, not all good in our eyes, but the basics have stayed the same.
Lots to do if you are so inclined, and plenty of time to contemplate your navel if that is also your want.
Never wanted to live here full time, but love the place when we are here.
People look a whole lot younger, driving is still exciting, and lets face it, you Yanks are never going to get the hang of roundabouts, however many times you survive going round them!!
We will be back again next winter, if we can keep avoiding the man with the scythe!
Where in the UK do you call home?

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-17-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOB View Post
No regrets about moving out of TV.
Voted most useful post ever. [emoji41]
Old 05-17-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
I gave up trying to do zumba. Just didn't want to get to a class an hour ahead of time just to get a spot.
Is it normal to have to go to a fitness class an hour ahead of time just to hold a spot?
Old 05-17-2019, 03:19 PM

Unfortunately Yes, sometimes the facilities are so overwhelmed that it can be very frustrating!
Old 05-17-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagjr1 View Post
Unfortunately Yes, sometimes the facilities are so overwhelmed that it can be very frustrating!
There was a discussion about how this problem might be solved last year.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Where in the UK do you call home?
Cotswolds, Gloucestershire.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Cotswolds, Gloucestershire.
Wonderful area, know it well. Just came back from 10 days in Moreton, The Redesdale Arms.

So Cotswolds and TV, great way to live.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-18-2019, 02:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivaridger1 View Post
We had no reason to reconsider our decision to move to TV after living here the first 26 months. Most of the reasons people love this place applied. Then I got sick. The available medical care, and the quality of same, are quite frankly borderline awful in the immediate area. We counsel everyone we meet to put healthcare at the top of their list of things to explore in depth, prior to deciding whether or not to make the " move ".
I understand your standpoint, rivaridger, and I have had a life-threatening illness, over a decade ago. I decided to balance a short plane ride and/or drive to one of the noted healthcare facilities against the ability to live happily in a place I really like. Setting sudden tragic episodes aside, that we might not survive anywhere (stroke, heart attack), I feel that I could get to a place of notable health care in a short amount of time. I'm thinking mainly of cancer, I guess.

In the meantime, I plan to enjoy my time in TV and hope for the best, rather than live close to someplace not pleasing to me just in case I might get sick.

But again, I understand your point of view, and I may not be thinking of all the circumstances surrounding certain illnesses. Please don't take my point of view as a rejection of yours. I hope and pray you are doing well.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:12 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

We have lived all over the world and for us, The Villages is hands down the best retirement location we have ever seen.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Wonderful area, know it well. Just came back from 10 days in Moreton, The Redesdale Arms.

So Cotswolds and TV, great way to live.
Our village is a ten minute drive from M.I.M. Our grandson goes to the Cotswold Academy in Bourton.
Yes we are very lucky to have both places in our lives.

Last edited by Two Bills; 05-22-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:20 AM
Veteran member

I missed Ohio with my every fiber when we came here. I thought about my beautiful gardens continually and the evenings outside on the shores of Lake Erie. After, much thought and a bit of time, I realized that what I was missing I could never get back. It was my youth that I was missing. I still miss it but I put it in perspective and I have moved on.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

15 years and no regrets.
I even acclimated to playing golf when it is 90 degrees.
While not a regret I will say there are some medical specialties and services that are lacking. However we have had no problem finding what we need within an hours ride from TV.
Key to complete satisfaction?
Avoid/mitigate surprises....do your home work choosing where your new home is located in TV.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:32 PM
Post Regrets

Can you give us more reason as to why you have regrets? I don't have regrets but often miss my previous life. After a period of adjustment I find TV to be a much better place with nicer people around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3461 View Post
Hello. I am relocating here and I already miss home.

Do you regret moving to TV?
Why?
Will you move back home? Or, to another area?

If you got over your regret, how did you do it?

Thank you.
Closed Thread

Tags
regret, home, moving, area, back

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.