Do You Have Regrets After Moving To TV?

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2019, 03:53 PM

We'd been snow-birding on the gulf coast in St. Pete since 2010, but got a bad case of “hurricane fatigue” after Irma so we decided to explore inland options. I have a cousin in the Villages, and we did the lifestyle preview in 2017. We were dead-set on moving there after that, but just for the proverbial s.h.its & giggles, decided to investigate what was outside the bubble. That fluky decision was the best thing we did, and we closed on a beautiful new home in a beautiful community in January of 2018. Everyone was new at around the same time, which I think helps when trying to build new friendships. A whole lot of our neighbors are former Villagers, and we are not an age-restricted community. Even though we are now the old people, I like seeing families and kids.

We are absolutely thrilled with our community, home, neighbors, activities, and amenities. While we are technically not the Villages, we share a border with them on 2 sides and can take advantage of the squares whenever we want and don’t have a bond or cdd. Granted, the Villages lifestyle is what drew us to this area to begin with, but we don’t golf and the clubs and activities in our community are fine for us. (who really needs 2000 clubs, anyway?!)
We’re not the least bit jealous of anyone who lives in the Villages and we have zero regrets that we did not move inside. For those who do live there and love it, more power to you.

We are fortunate enough to keep a home in Chicago for the summer, and I don’t see stopping that anytime soon. As nice as the Villages area is, the Florida summer heat is oppressive, and we need to escape that and the suburban sameness of the whole area for some city grit, good restaurants, and urban culture. It’s pretty sweet to be able to have both. Different strokes.

Last edited by ChicagoNative; 05-27-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagjr1 View Post
Yes! We stayed 2 years in the Villages and moved up to Sun City SC. Much more attractive, much less crowded, much less traffic and a lot more privacy! We bought new in the bubble in Oct of 2015. Back door neighbor was only 20 feet away, there were no trees and bugs were everywhere at night. Here where we are now there are much lower property taxes for full time residents, NO bond fees and plenty of activities that are not jammed packed! I can go for a walk and not have to deal with drunk drivers on golf carts, my mail gets delivered right to my house. Yes there is a state income tax, but after all the deductions it was less than zero! The ocean is only 30-45 mins away, and the dining is to die for here. We never regret moving away, it just wasn't for us! Now I know some of you diehard Villagers are about to jump all over me, but do yourself a favor and dive on up and take a look around! You too will question why you haven't moved yet.
Are you talking about Del Webb Sun City Hilton Head retirement community in Bluffton, South Carolina? We are checking out different places to live in retirement. Love the DRY heat in Sun City, AZ BUT no where near the amenities that the Villages has but wow, the soaking wet heat in Florida and the above average potential risk of sink holes are things to consider. Will definitely check out this place you mentioned in Hilton Head or Bluffton or Hilton Head Bluffton, SC. Thanks for your post. Have a great day!! John
Old 05-27-2019, 06:16 PM
Default No Regrets:

I feel like I have arrived in Heaven without having died first.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:50 AM

Life is a journey, so I don't have regrets. When I made the switch, as a single person, I figured 'as long as no one died', it was all going to be okay, even if I didn't like it here and wanted to move back.
You may not have moved here yet, but like anything new, it is up to you to make the best of it, and The Villages helps by having lots to offer in a clean and lively environment.
Stay positive! Nothing is perfect!
Fill your days with purpose; today I will find a club to join, today I will find a church I like, today I will explore nature, etc. Go wherever in the Villages and chat people up.
I do still 'miss' not being super close (regionally) to my family, but they are living their own lives and I am happy for that. Social media has really helped keep me in touch.
I have made it a habit to go 'back' to visit a few times a year. And, even though that is lovely, I miss my home in the Villages when I am there!
I do invite friends from the north and have them see my new environment. Life is good.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:18 AM

Major factor is that it's unbelievably hot and humid from May to November. The winter months are overcrowded with Snowbirds, Rentals, and Visitors. The "I should of moved here 10 years ago" is a standard line, but it's definitely not for everybody.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:34 AM

Re: Sun City, SC...I just googled that retirement community, and if you are thinking of relocating there, just read about their class action lawsuit about faulty stucco and mold, and you'll change your mind!
Old 05-28-2019, 12:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Looked at Sun City Hilton Head 20 years ago after a seminar on one of the Island's plantations. Realized then that not being on Hilton Head Island you lose the feel if its lifestyle. Same goes for The Villages. Nice communities like Spruce Creek and Harbor Hills close by, but The Villages lifestyle makes the difference.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2019, 02:02 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtyard View Post
Re: Sun City, SC...I just googled that retirement community, and if you are thinking of relocating there, just read about their class action lawsuit about faulty stucco and mold, and you'll change your mind!
I thought I’d read that was a problem with some of the houses that were built there and it was corrected and remedied. You know, just like when The Villages had bad siding installation, bad shingles, bad underground piping that corroded, sinkholes....

Point being, i think they all have issues. There were lawsuits here also.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:58 PM

I think regrets and being homesick are two different things. Yearning for one place while physically being in another can be very disruptive to moving forward in ones new place. You'll tend to hold back with new experience and acquaintances. If you find it's to be too overwhelming or overpowering you might consider returning. Life is too short.
Central Florida offers a unique life style whether you are still working, almost retired or fully retired. There is much to like about living here, lots of activities, warmer weather (100 degree summer temps!!!), the roundabouts, the flock of winter snowbirds or the peacefulness when they fly north. It's really all up to you.
The opinions of those posting here is of little matter. What's important is what you really want.
RICK
Old 05-28-2019, 07:29 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,221 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3461 View Post
Hello. I am relocating here and I already miss home.

Do you regret moving to TV?
Why?
Will you move back home? Or, to another area?

If you got over your regret, how did you do it?

Thank you.
I wouldn't advise moving here if you are already having strong misgivings about it. If you come here with the feeling of loss for your former home it could cause you to only focus on your loss and the negative rather than trying to find the positives of your relocation. I don't know and don't need to know your financial situation but if you can rent in TV for a year and still maintain your current home, that might be the best approach. That would be a much safer way to decide if you could be happy with permanent move.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:09 PM

I am a golfer and love warm climates, don't think I could move back "north", HOWEVER, the things you mentioned are indeed tugs at the heart; children, grand children, groups of life long friends that are now at the stage of life that allows them to get together often, maybe even travel together. That being said, IF daily golf in any season, the proximity of beaches, the relative warmth year round (yes we can have an occasional few HOURS of 32 degrees in the "depth" of "winter"), waking up every morning and realizing you actually are living in a resort, a perpetual vacation, and yet those things do NOT trump those very important things & people you left behind, I would not hesitate one DAY before I would call the moving truck. Life and retirement years are far too few to squander ! ! I agree with another reply, if finances allow, try the 50/50 like so many others. If your heart is still not right, follow your heart back to what is important to YOU !

Last edited by Ladygolfer93; 05-28-2019 at 11:28 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 05-29-2019, 07:35 PM

Unbearably hot and humid from May to November. Congested and overcrowded from January to May. Answer your question?
Old 05-30-2019, 06:57 PM

There are two things wrong with The Villages. Number 1: there are no sidewalks . Number 2: the developer will not own up to his responsibilities concerning the homes lost due to sinkholes.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:02 PM

Solar panels could be optional, but requiring everyone to have solar? no thank you mam
Old 06-23-2019, 06:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm1222 View Post
Unbearably hot and humid from May to November. Congested and overcrowded from January to May. Answer your question?
That’s realistic answer.

We are still snowbirds due to a family situation, when it changes with that elderly parent there’s a 99.99% chance we’ll pull up roots and settle here. I do have some reservations about moving here completely. My wife does not because she doesn’t have any family and very few friends in the north. I have an extensive network of friends and family in the small state we are from. I like being a big fish in a small sea rather than a small fish in a big sea. In other words the state I come from is smaller than Marion County. It’s not unusual for us to be in a restaurant, shopping mall or any other location and to see someone I know. For instance last evening we were out for dinner in one of the many fine restaurants here. While dining I met 2 friends who I haven’t see in a few years. I like that extended network moving here completely I’ll lose that. One real positive though I belong to organization that is worldwide and members of that organization meet daily at different locations in TV and everywhere else in Florida and the USA. Since we all have a common interest it’s easy to meet quality people thru that organization.

In an ideal world I would like to spend 8 or 9 months in TV and 3 to 4 in my home state. Only time will tell.

Tags
regret, home, moving, area, back

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.