Do You Have Regrets After Moving To TV?

Closed Thread
Old 06-23-2019, 07:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm1222 View Post
Unbearably hot and humid from May to November. Congested and overcrowded from January to May. Answer your question?
Are the southern portions congested and overcrowded during snowbird season?
Old 06-23-2019, 11:16 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,084 Times in 367 Posts

We all have a choice. Do what you want. Many like The Villages. Some don't.

I used to think that San Diego was Utopia. Just got back from San Diego visit this June. Too expensive (taxes, gas ), too cold 65F. Too weird.

Too hot here? Travel when hot. Don't like driving here, try NY, CAL, Bos.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:49 AM

The Villages has many many people who move here and love it. Others move here and leave within a couple of years. Good for most, not for everyone. Know one family that moved back hone to enjoy grandchildren again. Come to the Villages with an open mind and ready to embrace the lifestyle and see what happens for you.
As for me I would rather be near my family so the Villages is just okay.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:30 PM
Default South Carolina Weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by WojoV View Post
Are you talking about Del Webb Sun City Hilton Head retirement community in Bluffton, South Carolina? We are checking out different places to live in retirement. Love the DRY heat in Sun City, AZ BUT no where near the amenities that the Villages has but wow, the soaking wet heat in Florida and the above average potential risk of sink holes are things to consider. Will definitely check out this place you mentioned in Hilton Head or Bluffton or Hilton Head Bluffton, SC. Thanks for your post. Have a great day!! John
My daughter lived in Bluffton, SC and therefore I am familiar with the area. It was surprisingly hot and humid in the summer as is FL, but it's winters were cooler than FL. That is why the vast majority of people who want great outdoor weather go to FL for the winter. The Villages really does have the advantage when it comes to weather.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:18 PM

We moved here going on seven years and have not regretted one day. We know quite a few people who moved back to their original home town for various reasons such as, illness, loss of a spouse, and some to be with their kids and grandkids. We have no intentions of doing that. Our kids and grandkids have been here and understand why we are here and they have enjoyed their visits as well. This is our happy place and we hope to enjoy it for many years to come. I have to admit however, moving was stressful, and we don't intend to ever do it again. They say the average Villager may move three times. We did our homework and bought the home we love, in the place we love, and we couldn't ask for better friends and neighbors. I wish you the same.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Cut the crap. It's all about Jan Feb March. Nowhere else on the east coast is it warm for those three months. 25% of the year TV is utopia. You can justify the rest of the year to your heart's desire. 110 heat index sucks. That's the forecast for tomorrow folks.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:15 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

Most of the replies seem to center around weather. So, Ive experienced various cities in Upstate NY and have shoveled enough snow for many peoples lifetimes. Got tired of dark skies from Labor to Memorial Day. Then fast paced Hotlanta. 7 lanes of traffic either going 75-80 MPH or deadstopped. Sampled humidity down here last summer and concluded its actually more comfortable here wiht a more constant breeze. Florida sure does know how to throw a good thunderstorm though. But enough about the weather. For the most part, people are friendly, cost of living (and especially eating out) is low, non existent taxes, rec centers, activities. Yes, kids are further away, and they have their own lives to live.. and you can drag your butt on a plane any time and visit for a weekend.. or a week or a month .. either at their house or a motel .. Are you still a helicopter parent at 65 or 75 ? Or did you raise them to be independent ? Whether you stayed put or moved, things will never be the way they once were .. for better or worse. Enjoy those final years. They are yours and your alone
Old 06-24-2019, 06:49 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

Certainly not all but most of the people I have met in TV were weather refugees from “up north”. Others came from other communities in Florida. A few moved from places like Southern California which has great weather because Florida was far less costly.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-24-2019, 07:43 PM

Yes, been here 19 years. If I was younger and had the money I would move back to cape Cod.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwind53 View Post
Yes, been here 19 years. If I was younger and had the money I would move back to cape Cod.

Reminds me of an old song

If you're fond of sand dunes and salty air
Quaint little villages here and there
(You're sure)You're sure to fall in love with old Cape Cod.

If you like the taste of a lobster stew
Served by a window with an ocean view
(You're sure)You're sure to fall in love with old Cape Cod
Old 06-24-2019, 09:20 PM

Cape Cod has changed dramatically in the last 20 yrs. Traffic congestion, no parking. Lots of snow.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilmacowen View Post
Cape Cod has changed dramatically in the last 20 yrs. Traffic congestion, no parking. Lots of snow.
Don't forget the thousands of seals which cover the beach with seal crap when the tides come in, bring in great white sharks so you risk your life swimming, and eat all the striped bass and blue fish so the fishing is fruitless. We have been going to the Cape every summer our whole lives, but it just is not the same any more. However, we have no regrets about the Villages. Every time we visit our Villiages home, the trip goes by way to fast and we don't want to leave. Every time we go back north all we do is talk about how much we wish we were back at our Villages home. If we could only dump all of those pesky responsibilities up north so we could become frogs. Someday?
Old 06-25-2019, 05:14 AM

I must admit that we are in the process of moving out of TV, but not out of dissatisfaction, regret, or homesickness. We really enjoy boating and fishing, and decided that we wanted to live where we have easier access to the Harris chain of lakes. We've found a beautiful place here in Cent. FL where we will have our own boat slip; and right on a golf course for much less than it would cost here! The Villages is beautiful and convenient, just not exactly a fit for us. I'm sure we will miss it - there's no Starbucks near the new place!
Old 06-25-2019, 05:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninjamom View Post
I must admit that we are in the process of moving out of TV, but not out of dissatisfaction, regret, or homesickness. We really enjoy boating and fishing, and decided that we wanted to live where we have easier access to the Harris chain of lakes. We've found a beautiful place here in Cent. FL where we will have our own boat slip; and right on a golf course for much less than it would cost here! The Villages is beautiful and convenient, just not exactly a fit for us. I'm sure we will miss it - there's no Starbucks near the new place!

That makes sense.

It sounds like you've found a perfect location for your interests...good luck.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,587 Times in 566 Posts

Still have northern homes so no reason to be unhappy no matter where we stay
Closed Thread

Tags
regret, home, moving, area, back

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.