Do You Have Regrets After Moving To TV?

Closed Thread
Old 05-15-2019, 02:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallybowron View Post
I regret moving here because at home I had so many friends, some for 40-50 years, and down here not so much. Mostly though I miss my family, watching my grand kids play sports and watching my son perform in plays and Cabarets. Many of my classmates still get together 2-3 times a month and I miss that. We are thinking of renting a place up there and going back and forth. We are going up to see Ryan in a Cabaret in June and will look around then. Just my opinion.
This place isn't for everyone, and if you have regrets I wouldn't even consider staying here.....life is too short for regrets and not doing something about it. What is holding you here?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-15-2019, 03:32 PM

I regret reading posts of people that have regrets of things they have not done yet.

The Villages is a true Sanctuary.

I can't think of a better value in America for the benefits Graciegirl has described.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:41 PM

Yes! We stayed 2 years in the Villages and moved up to Sun City SC. Much more attractive, much less crowded, much less traffic and a lot more privacy! We bought new in the bubble in Oct of 2015. Back door neighbor was only 20 feet away, there were no trees and bugs were everywhere at night. Here where we are now there are much lower property taxes for full time residents, NO bond fees and plenty of activities that are not jammed packed! I can go for a walk and not have to deal with drunk drivers on golf carts, my mail gets delivered right to my house. Yes there is a state income tax, but after all the deductions it was less than zero! The ocean is only 30-45 mins away, and the dining is to die for here. We never regret moving away, it just wasn't for us! Now I know some of you diehard Villagers are about to jump all over me, but do yourself a favor and dive on up and take a look around! You too will question why you haven't moved yet.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:56 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

No regrets............can I mention quite the opposite???

Came to TV for the golf. Found so much more. Enough said.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

There are some very good answers here. Like in any questionnaire response, I might suggest to throw out the top "plus" one and the bottom "negative" one.

I could add one thing to the equation--homesickness. Change is hard. In the first few months after we moved down, my primary thought was, "What have we done?" My friend from back home who moved to a different part of Florida had the same thought. You have to build a new life, no matter where you move. It takes time to make new friends and get used to new ways of living. Give it a year and see what happens. You certainly won't have to worry about resale in The Villages. If it doesn't work out for you, you've had a year of experiencing something new and most likely a profit to be gained on the sale of your house.
Good luck, Mike3461.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagjr1 View Post
Yes! We stayed 2 years in the Villages and moved up to Sun City SC. Much more attractive, much less crowded, much less traffic and a lot more privacy! We bought new in the bubble in Oct of 2015. Back door neighbor was only 20 feet away, there were no trees and bugs were everywhere at night. Here where we are now there are much lower property taxes for full time residents, NO bond fees and plenty of activities that are not jammed packed! I can go for a walk and not have to deal with drunk drivers on golf carts, my mail gets delivered right to my house. Yes there is a state income tax, but after all the deductions it was less than zero! The ocean is only 30-45 mins away, and the dining is to die for here. We never regret moving away, it just wasn't for us! Now I know some of you diehard Villagers are about to jump all over me, but do yourself a favor and dive on up and take a look around! You too will question why you haven't moved yet.
And yet two years later reading the forum. Hmm

Proximity to neighbors, bond, trees were obvious factors before even buying.

I live with no back neighbors, lots of trees, no bond.

Never seen anyone drunk on a golf cart, do my own insecticide and have zero bug problems.

Traffic is no issue.

Some of my fortunes may be luck but most is due diligence.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:07 PM
Veteran member

I agree that the majority of posters here are likely to be happy with their choice. I know several who have left, primarily because they miss family, but also because of health problems, not adjusting well to the climate, or feeling that the value for money wasn't good for them because they didn't use most of the amenities.

It's probably similar to retirement ... some people thrive while others get bored or feel at loose ends. As to how you get over it, consider everyone's advice to stay active and engaged. I think being a little homesick is normal but try not to focus on it or beat yourself up over your decision. Give it a year and think of it as a long vacation. Everything is reversible if that's what you decide. Best of luck.

Last edited by queasy27; 05-16-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:17 PM
Sage

I have no regrets. 34 years in CA...our neighborhood was changing, friends were moving. Our children and grandchildren were in FL so during one of our visits, a quick trip to visit TV. A second visit a few days later and we gave our sales rep info on just what home model we wanted, what type of lot we would like and a few months later...well, we’ve been here for many years now and I know more people and have more friends than I did in CA. Many of us on our street all moved to TV about the same time and quickly became like family. Regrets, none....well, maybe one....I do miss the much lower humidity levels of southern CA...lolol.

Last edited by pooh; 05-15-2019 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:19 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Ohio will always live in my heart, the four real seasons and the memories of our little ones and our grands being little too. But now we love the vibrancy of this climate and the enjoyment of conversation with our peers and learning new skills and resting when we are done "working".

I love beautiful and clean and well ordered and well maintained and I love living in a safe environment and The Villages fill the bill. Hope for a continued gentle life.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagjr1 View Post
As many have said, TV is not for everyone but if you no longer live here there must be something about this place that speaks to you. Why do you still follow talk of the Villages? I do not mean this “to get all over you” but I do find it curious
Old 05-15-2019, 06:47 PM
Veteran member

Probably reads the Forum just to see what what's and how much crime has risen in The Villages since they left. Also probably wondering how the golf course conditions are and if they're improved any since they left which I seriously doubt. I also read my hometown paper to see what's happening. It's also nice to see how the Kool-Aid drinkers I'm making out
Old 05-15-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
Probably reads the Forum just to see what what's and how much crime has risen in The Villages since they left. Also probably wondering how the golf course conditions are and if they're improved any since they left which I seriously doubt. I also read my hometown paper to see what's happening. It's also nice to see how the Kool-Aid drinkers I'm making out
What's s kool-aid drinker!
Old 05-15-2019, 08:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Those that love it here, or their spouse loves it here and they can't leave, or they just don't have time or a desire to complain. Lots of different Kool-Aid here

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-16-2019, 04:58 AM
Platinum member

Living in The Villages was the best decision we ever made. We've lived here 11 years and it's fun to enjoy all that's been added - Brownwood, the Sharon, and now all of the new amenities in Southern Oaks. It just gets better. I am sad with the grief some friends had when they had to move back because they needed family support due to health problems. As others have said, our regret is that we didn't move here sooner.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luperona9 View Post
And yet two years later reading the forum. Hmm

Proximity to neighbors, bond, trees were obvious factors before even buying.

I live with no back neighbors, lots of trees, no bond.

Never seen anyone drunk on a golf cart, do my own insecticide and have zero bug problems.

Traffic is no issue.

Some of my fortunes may be luck but most is due diligence.
Hmm, are you sure you live in The Villages? My experience with traffic and drunks in golf carts is different than yours.

Our feeling is nothing is ever perfect, and that holds true for The Villages.We've met some wonderful people, and we do enjoy the choice of activities. On the downside is the the sheer size of the Villages. The population has doubled since we moved here and we really can notice the increase in traffic and the numbers of people vying for space in restaurants and some of the classes at certain times of year. I gave up trying to do zumba. Just didn't want to get to a class an hour ahead of time just to get a spot. The condition of the golf courses has also been a huge disappointment. And we've experienced nasty behavior from other residents when our political views did not coincide with theirs, something we never went through up north. That was really a shocker. But we feel the plusses outweigh the minuses. And once you get settled in, buy a house, make friends, etc., its hard to pull up stakes and start over again at this age.
Closed Thread

Tags
regret, home, moving, area, back

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.