Do You Have Regrets After Moving To TV?

Closed Thread
Old 05-16-2019, 05:28 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

Been here 8 years, love it and won't be moving. Only regret I have is leaving my grandkids behind. I would love to be there growing up.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:09 AM

We have only lived in The Villages for three years but believe we made the right choice. We had seriously looked at Sun City Hilton Head because we had been to that area many times over the previous fifteen years and because our son, his wife, and our grandchildren live nearby. You are right there are a variety of wonderful restaurants in that area including Hilton Head Island. But traffic on 278 can be very heavy. We thought for us that The Villages made more sense and still believe that. Fortunately not everyone is alike in their desire for a retirement community. People should go where they like the living style best, even if that means admitting that the first choice was wrong; moving is not fun but is better than staying where one regrets living.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
Hmm, are you sure you live in The Villages? My experience with traffic and drunks in golf carts is different than yours.

Our feeling is nothing is ever perfect, and that holds true for The Villages.We've met some wonderful people, and we do enjoy the choice of activities. On the downside is the the sheer size of the Villages. The population has doubled since we moved here and we really can notice the increase in traffic and the numbers of people vying for space in restaurants and some of the classes at certain times of year. I gave up trying to do zumba. Just didn't want to get to a class an hour ahead of time just to get a spot. The condition of the golf courses has also been a huge disappointment. And we've experienced nasty behavior from other residents when our political views did not coincide with theirs, something we never went through up north. That was really a shocker. But we feel the plusses outweigh the minuses. And once you get settled in, buy a house, make friends, etc., its hard to pull up stakes and start over again at this age.
Yes. Five years in The Villages. Two years in 1st home, 3 in second home. Every store/bank/worship needed is within 5 minutes by car. Ten minutes by golf cart. Rarely go further. Never traffic nearby. No roundabouts here either, although I think they are a good option for the heavily populated areas of the villages.

Only wish the airport was closer as the inexpensive living in the Villages allows lots of travel.

Lots of properties with no rear neighbors. Some with very little premium. Just have to look hard. Google Earth helps.

Of the people that have left The Villages, most fell into one of three categories.

Health
Missed Family
Neighbors too close (and they did not get along)

Potential neighbors need to be vetted as well. Are they loud? Smoke? Barking Dogs? Unkept properties. Adult children living at home. Etc

If you make the choice to buy a house with very close neighbors, spend the time to evaluate everything!

When I go in my backyard no one can hear me or see me.

Don't talk politics with people unless you are on the same wavelength.

My Sanctuary Village is perfect.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:34 PM
Sage

I think some of us had some initial anxiety when confronted with having to learn a new place. How to get around, choosing doctors and the myriad of issues when in a new and different lifestyle.

If after a year, you are still homesick, then you can always sell your place and move back home! It won't take long to sell your home.

For me, this is the best move and the best place I ever live in. So many activities and things to do. Meeting new friends and the general friendliness of almost all of it's people. There are a few grouches but I just move on to the next person.

My only regret is that I was not able to move sooner to TV!!!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 05-16-2019, 02:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I think some of us had some initial anxiety when confronted with having to learn a new place. How to get around, choosing doctors and the myriad of issues when in a new and different lifestyle.

If after a year, you are still homesick, then you can always sell your place and move back home! It won't take long to sell your home.

For me, this is the best move and the best place I ever live in. So many activities and things to do. Meeting new friends and the general friendliness of almost all of it's people. There are a few grouches but I just move on to the next person.

My only regret is that I was not able to move sooner to TV!!!
I agree with 2BNTV totally. I was very worried because I am such a bashful, introverted person who is afraid to speak my piece when we moved to The Villages. Somehow with the help of those who Initially Welcomed Us at Crispers and those who invited us into their home when we experience the Jitters in the very beginning I somehow thru deep soul searching have become outgoing, extroverted but still don't fully speak my mind because I would be kicked off this Forum and have nobody to hang out with.

The Villages to some extent has taught me that the battle is OVER. We are in the 7th Inning and hoping the ballgame goes into Overtime.

The things we worried about turned out to be a big Zero, Snakes, and Alligators. Beating the crowd home from the Square is my main goal now. Pretty Cool!

P.S. We miss the Grandchildren and our Kids Dogs but that's about it.

Regret's = NONE!
Old 05-16-2019, 04:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

[QUOTE=Mike3461;1649898]Hello. I am relocating here and I already miss home.

Do you regret moving to TV?
Why?

No- not even once. Eight years and counting.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:55 PM

I miss the nice folks I met at Crispers-Nucky, 2BNTV and others and would love to host others. We're very close to Odell Rec Center...too far away? We're just north of Colony. Is there any interest to get a group of TOTVers together with their own BYOB and munchies?
Old 05-16-2019, 05:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by luperona9 View Post
What's s kool-aid drinker!
Unhappy people like to call those that are satisfied with their choices "Koolaide Drinkers". What they don't realize is, the real koolaide is that of anger, unhappiness, and dis-satisfaction. They are unlikely to be happy with much of anything because they are looking for things that they don't like, and looking past all that is available. What a shame.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,950 Times in 1,706 Posts

A get together of TOTV posters would certainly take the anonymity out of the forum and you’d have to “face up” to your posts.... and we’d know who actually are living here.
I’m personally not yet in TV (just closed) but if you get a group together when I’m there.... sounds good.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:17 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Well, we are lucky in that we have our cake and eat it too. We have a Courtyard Villa in Sanibel and a home adjacent to our three kids in Missouri. We spend about 5 months in TV and the rest in the Kansas City area. We love TV, but can't see ourselves ever spending our full time there. If our children were spread out, as most are, we would probably be thrilled to be full time Villagers, but under the circumstances, we love the Villages/Missouri split. I realize that not everyone can do what we do, and feel blessed to be able to accommodate our love of family and TV. As far as regrets, it is my opinion that one needs to weigh all the relevant factors prior to making a major decision, then move forward confidently - never looking back. I have zero regrets in my life as everything I have done has led me to this point in my life and I am happy with the result.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,950 Times in 1,706 Posts

Yes. Nice to have the best of both worlds.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

ABSOLUTELY NONE. Love it here.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:38 AM

No regrets about moving out of TV.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:32 AM
Gold member

Yes, by far the biggest mistake people make when they move here is loading up that moving truck. So many people regret the cost of doing such a thing. But, the second hand stores love these people.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:53 AM

We had no reason to reconsider our decision to move to TV after living here the first 26 months. Most of the reasons people love this place applied. Then I got sick. The available medical care, and the quality of same, are quite frankly borderline awful in the immediate area. We counsel everyone we meet to put healthcare at the top of their list of things to explore in depth, prior to deciding whether or not to make the " move ".
Closed Thread

Tags
regret, home, moving, area, back

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.