Do You Have Regrets After Moving To TV?

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2019, 08:35 AM

Everyone is old here!!!!! It’s DEPRESSING ALL THE TIME
Old 05-27-2019, 08:38 AM

Just moved here from Las Vegas 2 months ago and I like everyone else I'm sorry I didn't do it sooner. If you can't find happiness here you'll never be happy
Old 05-27-2019, 08:38 AM

I regret moving to The Villages. I need to live where a community is "real" and by that I mean: kids, young people, but most of all where life has its ups and downs and is not aiming toward "perfect". I would rather live in a community where folks have an opportunity to participate in governing and in giving opinions. It is a fine thing to reap the rewards of working for a lifetime, but the world goes on and needs us old people, and not for us to withdraw into The Bubble and live for ourselves and just aim to have a good time everyday. I am speaking for myself ONLY and do understand that there are people here who are still involved in trying to "save" the world. For example, all new homes here should be required to have solar panels, veggie gardens allowed, and each Village should govern itself. OK--jump on me!
Old 05-27-2019, 08:40 AM
Veteran member

Bought in 2012 while we were both still working. Two houses later, hubby thought it was too hot so we bought house with pool - house #3, finally got it right.

He’s happy and you can see by my name, I am too.

We did retire in 2017.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane reynolds View Post
I regret moving to The Villages. I need to live where a community is "real" and by that I mean: kids, young people, but most of all where life has its ups and downs and is not aiming toward "perfect".
I had a neighbor like that, when I first moved here in 2011. I played some golf with her husband and he said in the last 8 years they lived in a cottage home near Cane Garden, then moved to Tennessee for two years, then moved back to TV and bought a designer home, then moved to the CYV near me in Tamarind Grove and then in 2015 moved to Lakeside Landing off Rainey Trail. Ran into them one time while waiting for a table at Bob Evans, she said she liked seeing kids riding bikes and walking down the street. I otherhand, like the calmness that comes with living in a CYV without the children. I think more than anything, she was a person who enjoyed moving, probably a good candidate for an RV.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:48 AM
Default To each their own...

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane reynolds View Post
I regret moving to The Villages. I need to live where a community is "real" and by that I mean: kids, young people, but most of all where life has its ups and downs and is not aiming toward "perfect". I would rather live in a community where folks have an opportunity to participate in governing and in giving opinions. It is a fine thing to reap the rewards of working for a lifetime, but the world goes on and needs us old people, and not for us to withdraw into The Bubble and live for ourselves and just aim to have a good time everyday. I am speaking for myself ONLY and do understand that there are people here who are still involved in trying to "save" the world. For example, all new homes here should be required to have solar panels, veggie gardens allowed, and each Village should govern itself. OK--jump on me!
Hi Diane, I hope no one "jumps on you". Too many people get jumped on because they have different ideas and opinions. I respect yours even though it is quite the opposite for my wife and me. I had no regrets and adjusted immediately. CJ, on the other hand, took over a year to acclimate and feel "at home". We lived the first 8 months in Calumet Grove. Nice, friendly people, but no one let us "in". Very clicky. So we moved to Fenney, and our world changed immediately; I mean the day we moved in! People came over to offer assistance, welcome us, and ask about our story.

I still work, but CJ is now engaged and has many wonderful friends, and keep herself busy and healthy. My day will come when I get to retire in a couple of years, and until then, I will enjoy my downtime when I can, and otherwise, enjoy this little slice of heaven.

PS - I completely understand your need and appreciation for "family interaction". Seeing kids and young families enjoying themselves. We see this in TV during the winter and spring months. I love going to the town squares and seeing TV residents hosting their families and children.

I wish you well my dear.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:51 AM

We love TV but are snowbirds only because of the hospital situation here.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkilduff View Post
Everyone is old here!!!!! It’s DEPRESSING ALL THE TIME
You need to get out and not just the squares during happy hour. Join MVP at Brownwood, then you'll be around people who are young at heart and body. I joined 5 years ago this month and it's my favorite place, it's almost like going to school everyday and seeing familiar people, interacting, talking sports, and of course, exercising the body. I bet if you took "Group Power" class 3 days a week and kept up with the class you wouldn't have made that comment.

If you haven't seen it, it's the big brown brick building across the parking lot from Two Jays.

The Villages Florida

Have you played softball in TV? We have the largest softball league in America with over 200 teams and 2500 players. We have 11 ball diamonds and leagues are broken down into 5 levels, so you compete against players at your own level. My first five years here I played 3 seasons a year of 14 games a season. After 15 seasons I had to take a break, but there's a lot of people running around those bases in their 60's and 70's.

The Villages Florida
Old 05-27-2019, 10:41 AM

I regret that this is so far away from my family and friends. For me this is a big regret. After nine years I still haven't gotten over my homesickness. But, that si just me.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

I can live anywhere and have lived just about anywhere for most of my life. I moved here for my wife. She deserves it. She is very social and is happy being around others and socializing. Am I happy? I am happy if my spouse is happy. Do I miss home? Since I have moved most of my life, I do not miss any particular spot. I did have a time where I lived in the woods and loved it. My wife did not. Do I like it here? Yes, of course. What is there NOT to like? My advice for what it is worth, is to never look to the past to see how you might feel today. I look forward, never back. I learn from my past and look forward to the future, the new experiences. This is a great place. But, anyone can find fault with just about any place they live. I look at the positive, not the negative. If the negative ever tipped the scale, I would pack up and move. I do not regret moving here and my decision is rewarded by the smile on my wife's face every day.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,013 Times in 1,740 Posts

I think one’s perspective can change with age. At one time I though too; “Too many old people, I could never live there”. Then one day it became: “Thank God for the old people, I can’t wait to live there”. It’s sort of like Kindergarten in reverse, great if you are 5 years old, not so good if you are a teen.
TV went from my parents’ generation to my generation.

Last edited by Velvet; 05-27-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:37 AM
Default Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagjr1 View Post
Yes! We stayed 2 years in the Villages and moved up to Sun City SC. Much more attractive, much less crowded, much less traffic and a lot more privacy! We bought new in the bubble in Oct of 2015. Back door neighbor was only 20 feet away, there were no trees and bugs were everywhere at night. Here where we are now there are much lower property taxes for full time residents, NO bond fees and plenty of activities that are not jammed packed! I can go for a walk and not have to deal with drunk drivers on golf carts, my mail gets delivered right to my house. Yes there is a state income tax, but after all the deductions it was less than zero! The ocean is only 30-45 mins away, and the dining is to die for here. We never regret moving away, it just wasn't for us! Now I know some of you diehard Villagers are about to jump all over me, but do yourself a favor and dive on up and take a look around! You too will question why you haven't moved yet.
Thanks so much for your post. We are just beginning to research places to retire. The issues that you listed are my biggest concerns. My husband grew up in SC. We will definitely check out Sun City. I would love to privately correspond with you to get some pointers.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie1944 View Post
After 19 years here I have witnessed the rapid growth of The Villages. Despite the developer constantly tooting his own horn in the company propaganda rag, AKA The Daily Sun, this exponential growth is a negative for many retirees. Tomorrow I leave The Villages for good. I have found a much smaller version of The Villages, with actual SECURITY GATES, gof course, golf cart community, backed by a strong financial presence, Berkshire Hathaway, and more bang for the buck in the amenities fees. AND NO CDD! . The best part is it is almost built out, and no more land available to expand. About 5000 residents. Check out Soleil of Laurel Canyon in Canton, GA.
Thanks for the tip. We're add this community to our list of places to check out!
Old 05-27-2019, 01:58 PM

I have lived here for 14 years, and though I love the beauty of The Villages and the friends I've made here, I hate the brutal summer heat. If I had it to do over, I would have been a snowbird, as I still miss the changing seasons in Ohio, which I still consider my real home. I would suggest that anyone considering moving to The Villages full time spend at least one summer here before taking the plunge. Wish I had done that.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:20 PM
Platinum member
Smile

We've been here a little over 5 years. Like a lot of others, just wished we had moved here sooner. We live in a CYV and all the neighbors in here feel like relatives.
Moved here from Hampton Roads area of Virginia and it was getting to be a real mess there. We lived in a cul de sac and knew all of our neighbors very well but we NEVER socialized wit any of them. Totally different here with our fantastic neighbors. PLUS I play golf almost every day with neighbors and other friends we have met here.
Closed Thread

Tags
regret, home, moving, area, back

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.