Do You Have Regrets After Moving To TV?

Do You Have Regrets After Moving To TV?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 05-23-2019, 09:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie1944 View Post
I lived in knoxville TN for several years. Played golf every weekend in the winter. Didn't swelter in the summer. 4 seasons but nothing brutal. 4 inches of snow? OMG.
Obviously Knoxville was prepared, Tennessee is a little further north. I also lived in Savannah for 8 years, one year of 4" of snow there had the same effect. When people are not accustomed to driving on snow covered roads, remember they have no plows or salt, everyone stays home and in most cases are ordered to by the local officials. Maybe Atlanta and surrounding areas have improved since 1988, that's just something to consider when moving there. BTW, the humidity in the Atlanta area is sweltering, I would say of all the places I've lived, Atlanta was my least favorite. One reason, it's the only place someone has attempted to steal my car where I lived. Of course we have that right here in Orlando, which is why I don't live there.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:12 AM
Gold member

No regrets, but after a lifetime in the military, we get itchy feet after a few years. Moving to Pinehurst, NC in the coming year.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:15 AM

I did struggle for about 6 months to a year. It takes a while to build up friendships like you had at home.And left my entire family up north. I found a few activities that I enjoyed and gradually made some wonderful friends.
Everyone is in the same boat...moving to a new place and starting over.
I also found Allegiant airlines has some very reasonable airfares back home, so I’m able to visit often.
I have no regrets moving here, it’s just to beautiful!
I tried some brand new things like dragon boating and found groups for hobbies I enjoy. Now I feel more a part of the community. I would suggest giving it a year. I do know a fee people who moved back home to be closer to family. But not many! I wish you well!
Old 05-27-2019, 06:12 AM

My wife and I lived full time in The Villages from the end of 2010 through mid-2016. We were full time residents in Florida (and still are) since 2002 having originally moved from Chicago. We now live in Southwest Florida. The experience of living in The Villages was a great one that neither of us regrets, especially because of the new friendships we made. The activities and socialization were tremendous and we both would recommend The Villages as a great place to transition into retirement. However, the first reason we moved was because of the sense that we were "moving down a conveyor belt" as we watched people we knew age, get sick and/or require assistance and in some cases die. We all know this is a reality yet it stares you in the face the longer you live there. The second reason is that regardless of what you think, old people(and that includes us) can be very grumpy, stubborn, set in their ways and ridiculously cheap(using 2 for 1 coupons and only tipping on one meal). The contrast in friendliness and attitude is stark between waitstaff and other service workers in The Villages and outside The Villages such as Southwest Florida because of the previous reason. We enjoy being around all age groups(including children) because it exposes us to different ways of thinking and, in our opinion, keeps us more open-minded. The third reason we moved is because of the way everything begins to recycle in The Villages. How many times can you see Hemans Hermits, the parades etc. before you stop going? Finally, we started out in 2002 in Southwest Florida and like our friends there, the variety of restaurants and activities and the ocean nearby. You may feel. differently and we respect that.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:16 AM

We moved here almost 2 years ago from Maui and only regret not having done it sooner! There is so much to love here and lots to do. Give it some time and try new things to meet new people. Many people still spend summers up north but we are here year round to stay and LOVE it! Good luck!
Old 05-27-2019, 06:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittysons View Post
My wife and I lived full time in The Villages from the end of 2010 through mid-2016. We were full time residents in Florida (and still are) since 2002 having originally moved from Chicago. We now live in Southwest Florida. The experience of living in The Villages was a great one that neither of us regrets, especially because of the new friendships we made. The activities and socialization were tremendous and we both would recommend The Villages as a great place to transition into retirement. However, the first reason we moved was because of the sense that we were "moving down a conveyor belt" as we watched people we knew age, get sick and/or require assistance and in some cases die. We all know this is a reality yet it stares you in the face the longer you live there. The second reason is that regardless of what you think, old people(and that includes us) can be very grumpy, stubborn, set in their ways and ridiculously cheap(using 2 for 1 coupons and only tipping on one meal). The contrast in friendliness and attitude is stark between waitstaff and other service workers in The Villages and outside The Villages such as Southwest Florida because of the previous reason. We enjoy being around all age groups(including children) because it exposes us to different ways of thinking and, in our opinion, keeps us more open-minded. The third reason we moved is because of the way everything begins to recycle in The Villages. How many times can you see Hemans Hermits, the parades etc. before you stop going? Finally, we started out in 2002 in Southwest Florida and like our friends there, the variety of restaurants and activities and the ocean nearby. You may feel. differently and we respect that.
What a good post this is. How very understandable and true. I would wish that everyone would be like you two. Wishing you happiness.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:44 AM

Give it time. What you are feeling is normal as change is not easy. When I was 20 I got in my car and drove cross country to California to go to school. I missed home (Virginia) like crazy until I went back for Christmas three and a half months later and felt like I didn't belong there anymore.

I moved here almost 10 years ago to the day and have never looked back or even gone back to visit. Yes, I miss my friends and certain aspects but I would never think of moving back there again. This is home and I love it.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:00 AM

Moved here a year and a half ago, and I miss home every day (didn't think I would). Variety of retailers, quality and variety of restaurants, ease of getting medical appointments. Thought it would be less expensive to live in FL, and it hasn't been. Car insurance, cost of food, utility bills are about the same as in the northeast. Everything here is beautiful and nice, but it's not home. I think about going back quite often, but for now we are not for a few reasons. Have met a few people who get homesick and plan a visit "home" every 3 months. We are not able to do that, but if you can, they say it helps.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:05 AM

No regrets at all. Should have moved here sooner.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3461 View Post
Hello. I am relocating here and I already miss home.

Do you regret moving to TV?
Why?
Will you move back home? Or, to another area?

If you got over your regret, how did you do it?

Thank you.
I bought my home in The Villages as a long term investment in ocean front property.

Tags
regret, home, moving, area, back