Cell Phone Coverage South of 44

Closed Thread
Old 01-06-2020, 12:43 PM
Post Cell Phone Coverage South of 44

During our LSV last October, our VSL toured us through a few of the villages south of 44 and I noticed that my cell phone had zero bars. She mentioned that only one carrier had a cell tower down there and don’t remember who it was. My wife and I have AT&T. I would imagine that all carriers should have reception in that area some time in the near future. Does anyone have any info on this subject?
Old 01-06-2020, 01:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

In my opinion, the Verizon network is the best of the 4 nationwide cell networks. It is always ranked as having the best coverage. If you have Xfinity internet service, you can get the Xfinity Mobile cell service. It uses the Verizon network and is very inexpensive.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:15 PM

We just moved into Monarch Grove and have GoogleFi. We have not had any issues inside and outside, but our builder has Verizon and he had no service in our house and had to go outside to use his phone.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:42 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY
Default verizon bad in monarch grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrina&Bill View Post
During our LSV last October, our VSL toured us through a few of the villages south of 44 and I noticed that my cell phone had zero bars. She mentioned that only one carrier had a cell tower down there and don’t remember who it was. My wife and I have AT&T. I would imagine that all carriers should have reception in that area some time in the near future. Does anyone have any info on this subject?
I've been a verizon customer for nearly 20 years, after dumping AT+T. I've traveled around the world and have become complacent as to their reliability. As we're moving from Buttonwood to Monarch Grove, we've found the reception is horrible.. I'm hoping that once we get internet installed, we'll be able to use a WIFI assist to improve... Else will be yelling and threatening Verizon (for whatever good that might do)
Old 01-07-2020, 11:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,205 Posts

I recently went from 1 to 4 bars inside the house with T-Mobile in Monarch Grove somthey upgrade something. T-Moble is ok most other places for me in the Villages except Fenny.

You can see the cell tower next to the turpike as you cross the bridge.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:46 AM

There's a good guide at cellmapper . net

Type '310' in the provider box to quickly find Sprint, T-mobile, AT&T or type '311' to quickly find Verizon
Old 02-27-2020, 10:13 AM
Default At&t?

For everyone's information, I have been an AT&T subscriber, probably for nearly 40 years. Coverage has never been an issue for me until I bought a home in the deSoto Village. I can get service while skiing the back bowls of Vail, but I can't get service at my home. I received a call from Jennifer Fearson in the office of the President of AT&T, after I left a message with my concerns. She returned my call and looked up the problem and AT&T agrees that the coverage is spotty and they are working to correct the situation. She informed me that AT&T has additional towers scheduled for completion the end of July. I have my fingers crossed!
Old 02-27-2020, 11:18 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

AT&T has always had issues "in spots". If you travel, no AT&T.

Verizon has the best coverage, but costs a little more.

Like an insurance policy, you don't need it until you need it.

Old 02-27-2020, 11:31 AM
Sage

Service inside your home should not be an issue if you enable Wi-Fi calling. This assumes, of course, that you have a phone that supports Wi-Fi calling. I believe anything newer than about 3 years or so should support Wi-Fi calling.

AT&T has sunsetted the Microcell boxes that functionally did the same thing; bypass the cell towers and route your calls through your ISP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwc7@hotmail.com View Post
For everyone's information, I have been an AT&T subscriber, probably for nearly 40 years. Coverage has never been an issue for me until I bought a home in the deSoto Village. I can get service while skiing the back bowls of Vail, but I can't get service at my home. I received a call from Jennifer Fearson in the office of the President of AT&T, after I left a message with my concerns. She returned my call and looked up the problem and AT&T agrees that the coverage is spotty and they are working to correct the situation. She informed me that AT&T has additional towers scheduled for completion the end of July. I have my fingers crossed!
Old 02-27-2020, 11:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

When we moved into Hillsborough almost six years ago neither AT&T or Verizon were any good. As density and users increased they built more towers (or put them on top of the water towers). They don't build too much ahead (if at all) of a subscriber base since revenue is king and speculation is not. Build it and they will come only works for houses here

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-27-2020, 01:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

There are only 4 nationwide cell networks, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon. Verizon is ranked as the best network by every rating evaluation I have read in the past 20 years. So, I don't understand why anyone would use any network but Verizon. And, there are discount cell services that use the Verizon network.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,008 Times in 1,003 Posts

we've had problems with cell coverage, & still do on occasion. we use verizon, which seems to be the best, because we've heard nothing but complaints from friends who use AT&T. sometimes we need to go outside to get a decent signal, but its not the norm. what is the norm is routine call-dropping, either while ringing or during conversation. to say it's spotty is an understatement.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:55 AM

We switched to Consumer Cellular when Verizon got too pricey and you could only use a Verizon technology phone. We have no problem with reception up here in Glenbrook (north of 466 ...). We are new here having moved 5 months ago. I haven't had any problem with cell coverage anywhere in our local travels ( throughout TV and from Orlando to Ocala).
By the way, I have a perfectly good Samsung 7 edge that I cannot use because it is a Verizon phone. one of the reasons I left Verizon.
Closed Thread

Tags
cell, phone, south, wife, reception

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.