Dogs in the Square and etc.

Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2011, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Dogs in The Square

IMO a poorly behaved dog lunges, jumps up and barks at people. They should walk politely on a leash and the owner should have poop bags in their pocket.
Jeanne
Old 03-29-2011, 08:47 AM
Gold member

A well behaved dog does not pee on someone's shoe.

(This is the only thing my dog has figured out as proper behavior and I am sure he is well behaved.)
Old 03-29-2011, 08:49 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
IMO a poorly behaved dog lunges, jumps up and barks at people. They should walk politely on a leash and the owner should have poop bags in their pocket.
Jeanne
Aha! We are now defining a well behaved owner - right to the core of the matter.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
AJ - you brought up a point that I hadn't thought of. I am sorry for your loss, but glad that you have found comfort in your pet.

The entire dogs at the square stuff has been discussed many times - with usually a comment or two by Fumar, who is so far conspicuously absent.

We generally do not bring Finley in the winter, especially on Market nights or when really popular bands are playing. He is a small doggie and a lot of people and a small doggie could equal a stepped-on paw.

Please don't blame those of us who are responsible pet owners for the behavior of a few. And, while I have many allergies, I fail to see how bringing a dog to the squares would set off an allergic reaction unless someone pet a dog or the dog rubbed against them causing a transfer of dander.

Besides, Finley does not shed - (nor does Barefoot's Lolli Pup). Should they be allowed and not, for example, a collie?
I think some need a little common sense I don't take my dog when crowded and I do like to see dogs their but when crowded thats another story.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyBoy View Post
Aha! We are now defining a well behaved owner - right to the core of the matter.
We currently have 4 dogs! One things owners forget, especially in public places, is some dogs behave differently and people don't know the temperament of their pet. As a result, most people are very skittish about strange dogs. I know I am, especially when we are down and go to the squares. Example, our son was on the sofa petting one of our pomeranians and had his head low and out of the blue the dog bit him on the mouth - 3 stitches!. He is a well behaved, loving and friendly pet of 11 years. So that is why I'm a little skittish.

So, bottom line - I love dogs, but go to the squares to dance and have a cool one!!!

Just my - 2 cents!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:47 AM

all of you are not getting my point I like dogs they are sweet and loving they bring joy to many of us..I just don't think that the square is a place for any dog when iit is crowed.I went to the parade for st patty day and I was standing there with no place to move around and this lady was behind me with 2 big dogs and passed by me to get on the other side of the street with all the people at the square that day we could have stepped on their paws and hurt the dogs and maybe they would have gone for us to protect themselves this is the only thing that I am concern about.So don't let this post let out of hand...If children are not allowed in certain places and we obey by those rules that should be the same for dogs.....I am sorry this is the way I feel....yes I agree with some of you it is not the dog but the owner that should be in control of where their dog goes...I was sitting in my kitchen looking out the window and this man was walking his dog and the dog made on my next door neigbhor lawn he picked it up but that was a very rude thing to do and he lived only a few houses away from this person.....that's nerve dont you think....
Old 03-29-2011, 10:47 AM
Default I agree

That is the point that I am trying to bring out to the people in the villages.....Thank you......
Old 03-29-2011, 10:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
Jeanne
Oh, the joy there must be in carrying around those little bags of poop in your pocket.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephine71 View Post
all of you are not getting my point I like dogs they are sweet and loving they bring joy to many of us..I just don't think that the square is a place for any dog when iit is crowed.I went to the parade for st patty day and I was standing there with no place to move around and this lady was behind me with 2 big dogs and passed by me to get on the other side of the street with all the people at the square that day we could have stepped on their paws and hurt the dogs and maybe they would have gone for us to protect themselves this is the only thing that I am concern about.So don't let this post let out of hand...If children are not allowed in certain places and we obey by those rules that should be the same for dogs.....I am sorry this is the way I feel....yes I agree with some of you it is not the dog but the owner that should be in control of where their dog goes...I was sitting in my kitchen looking out the window and this man was walking his dog and the dog made on my next door neigbhor lawn he picked it up but that was a very rude thing to do and he lived only a few houses away from this person.....that's nerve dont you think....

And I for one (responsable dog owner) would agree with you 100%. If it is so crowded due to special event night or if I arrived with my dog and saw a over crowded condition I would either take the dog home or keep her in my golf cart that night.

Once again blame the owner for not being responsible, I think most of us are saying that. We do understand and if the owners were responsible they would not have their dog in that condition for the dogs safety as well as for others.

We do understand and just are hoping you are understanding what we are trying to say to you but to all dog owners as well.

Thanks, hope we all are on the same track now.

aj
Old 03-29-2011, 12:23 PM
Sage
Cool Individuals' "rights" v. the whole

I am a dog owner and I love dogs and like seeing them at the squares, but I often wonder if certain dogs there would lunge or bite. Some of those dogs' owners act like they LIKE having others feel a bit intimidated.

This problem reminds me a lot of no-smoking laws recently enacted.

Some smokers are courteous and do not smoke like a chimney at the table right next to you in a restaurant when you're trying to eat the meal you paid good money for. But the ones who DO/DID that caused enough ruination of other people's right to a pleasant atmosphere that voters approved the no-smoking laws now in place in various states/localities.

This dog situation, like public smoking, is a question of the "rights" of a few proudly militant dog owners who force their dogs onto other people who have good reason to fear dogs from past, real experience; or who force their dogs onto TV visitors, guests and residents who do not consider stepping in manure to be a necessary part of enjoying the totally unique atmosphere at the town squares.

Apologies and statements from "responsible" dog owners do little to avert the problem of a person who does get bitten or who steps in manure and their whole outing is ruined and they have to go home or buy new shoes at VanHuesen if they're open.

Maybe TV could start by prohibiting dogs there during certain peak hours when there are more crowds, during busiest winter months. Letters need to be written.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:36 PM

I am sorry but I still think that dogs belong home while the owners are out having a good time at the town square..And remember I have nothing against dogs....It is just not the place for dogs.Maybe you should no my reason My husband and I were walking in Ridgewood New Jersey going to the movies and there was this man talking to his friends holding his dog my his leash when this dog jumped and wanted to attact me if his owner didnt pull him back he would have hurt me bad he was a big dog and the owner said to me he never did that before maybe not but he did it that time......
Old 03-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbama View Post
We currently have 4 dogs! One things owners forget, especially in public places, is some dogs behave differently and people don't know the temperament of their pet. As a result, most people are very skittish about strange dogs. I know I am, especially when we are down and go to the squares. Example, our son was on the sofa petting one of our pomeranians and had his head low and out of the blue the dog bit him on the mouth - 3 stitches!. He is a well behaved, loving and friendly pet of 11 years. So that is why I'm a little skittish.

So, bottom line - I love dogs, but go to the squares to dance and have a cool one!!!

Just my - 2 cents!
Because this is highly unusual behavior for this pet, please take your dog to the vet and have the dog's ears checked for an infection. Also have the dog's teeth checked for an impacted tooth or other painful dental problems. Many times, pain in or around the head will cause an otherwise mellow and peaceful dog to react just that way.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
I am a dog owner and I love dogs and like seeing them at the squares, but I often wonder if certain dogs there would lunge or bite. Some of those dogs' owners act like they LIKE having others feel a bit intimidated.

This problem reminds me a lot of no-smoking laws recently enacted.

Some smokers are courteous and do not smoke like a chimney at the table right next to you in a restaurant when you're trying to eat the meal you paid good money for. But the ones who DO/DID that caused enough ruination of other people's right to a pleasant atmosphere that voters approved the no-smoking laws now in place in various states/localities.

This dog situation, like public smoking, is a question of the "rights" of a few proudly militant dog owners who force their dogs onto other people who have good reason to fear dogs from past, real experience; or who force their dogs onto TV visitors, guests and residents who do not consider stepping in manure to be a necessary part of enjoying the totally unique atmosphere at the town squares.

Apologies and statements from "responsible" dog owners do little to avert the problem of a person who does get bitten or who steps in manure and their whole outing is ruined and they have to go home or buy new shoes at VanHuesen if they're open.

Maybe TV could start by prohibiting dogs there during certain peak hours when there are more crowds, during busiest winter months. Letters need to be written.
You had me under your spell until the "Letters need to be written." part. IN FACT, I am still under your spell. I think you are right. Except for I like dogs at the squares.

There is no person that I know of to whom you can right such a letter....and feel that having done so that the authorities have been told of your feelings and/or that they have been told and something will change...

That is how it is in a CDD form of government.

This is NOT a democracy here in The Villages.

Plus...I like dogs at the squares. I like them walking by my house. I like them peeking at me from golf carts.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

I'm afraid if a letter-writing campaign were begun to keep dogs away from the squares, an opposing letter-writing campaign would begin from those who prefer dogs' presence at the squares . . . don't you think?
Old 03-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You had me under your spell until the "Letters need to be written." part. IN FACT, I am still under your spell. I think you are right.

There is no person that I know of to whom you can right such a letter....and feel that having done so that the authorities have been told of your feelings and/or that they have been told and something will change...

That is how it is in a CDD form of government.

This is NOT a democracy here in The Villages.
Somehow there was effort to get dog parks put in, wouldn't the same work for no dogs on the squares?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.