Dogs in the Square and etc.

Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2011, 01:18 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
I am a dog owner and I love dogs and like seeing them at the squares, but I often wonder if certain dogs there would lunge or bite. Some of those dogs' owners act like they LIKE having others feel a bit intimidated.

This problem reminds me a lot of no-smoking laws recently enacted.

Some smokers are courteous and do not smoke like a chimney at the table right next to you in a restaurant when you're trying to eat the meal you paid good money for. But the ones who DO/DID that caused enough ruination of other people's right to a pleasant atmosphere that voters approved the no-smoking laws now in place in various states/localities.

This dog situation, like public smoking, is a question of the "rights" of a few proudly militant dog owners who force their dogs onto other people who have good reason to fear dogs from past, real experience; or who force their dogs onto TV visitors, guests and residents who do not consider stepping in manure to be a necessary part of enjoying the totally unique atmosphere at the town squares.

Apologies and statements from "responsible" dog owners do little to avert the problem of a person who does get bitten or who steps in manure and their whole outing is ruined and they have to go home or buy new shoes at VanHuesen if they're open.

Maybe TV could start by prohibiting dogs there during certain peak hours when there are more crowds, during busiest winter months. Letters need to be written.
letters need to be written to send the 'old fogies' back north where they came from!
Old 03-29-2011, 01:27 PM
Sage

Hi Josephine71,
Welcome! One of TV's attributes is that it's a dog-friendly community. Dogs are allowed on the squares. Those are the rules. Much as I enjoy seeing dogs on the squares, I do not take my own because he is small and could be stepped on or trip someone.

It is true that some dog owners don't always use good judgement. It is equally true that some non-pet owners don't use good judgement. Some drive too fast, don't enter and exit the roundabouts properly, deprive attending patrons by saving rows of prime seats at popular events for people who aren't there, are rude to others or don't play ready golf.

None of this is the fault of the rules. Likewise, your friend stepped in dog poop not because there's anything wrong with the rules but because some selfish, entitled person failed to follow them.

Pun intended, that's usually why sh** happen.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:36 PM

Thank God there are still dog lovers in TV. I get a real kick out of seeing the dogs in the squares and in TV in general. We plan on having our dog with us whenever we are there which is a couple (or a few) months a each year.
If you really want to complain about something, sit behind or near a lady or guy in the theatres after they have dipped themselves in some obnoxious scent. Tha's as bad as stepping in dog do, maybe even worse.
Just my humble opinion.
Irish
South Amboy, NJ
St. Louis, MO
St. Charles, MO
Lake of the Ozarks, MO

"What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about"?
Old 03-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza
Default I have yet another twist...

As a few of you know I get around using a mobility scooter and transport it in a mobility equiped vehicle. If or when a dog poops, my scooter's tires don't care if its from a responsible or irresponsible owner's dog and neither do I. If I accidentally roll over some of the semi-dry chocolate pudding and don't realize it, I could later wind up getting it not only on my tires, but on my vehicle's ramp and on the carpet inside the vehicle, not to mention on myself.

Back when I first got a mobility scooter I did run over some of the stuff that wasn't picked up by the dogs owner. When I used a hose to try and wash it off, some spray got up under the motor cover and ruined the motor. I went without a scooter while I had to wait for the replacement to be shipped to me.

Another problem I could encounter is if a dog, under control or not, decided that my ankle or leg looked like a big tasty bone and took a sample taste. This could trigger months of painful ulcerations that I'm prone to and have suffered from, on and off for years. Believe me, if you experience the pain I've gone through because of ulcerations, you would most likely feel the same as I do about this.

Having said this I want to emphasize that I'm not in favor of banning dogs from the towne squares. Heaven knows I too love the little critters and enjoy petting their heads and chins when I run across one being walked in my Village or when going to our mailbox... if I can safely do so. However, I do wish dog owners, responsible or not, would stop and think about whether their optional choice to bring fido with them to the squares, when it's busy, is so important or necessary that it's worth the potential problems that could be created by their very presence.

If a dog owner feels it's worth the risk of exposing others to these kinds of problems, as well as the potential that exists for liability, then by all means they can bring their little cutties. But if they care for others and feel it's not worth the risks, then they should walk fido at the many other places possible around TV or leave them home and bring them back a nice treat. Today, the choice is yours to bring or not bring your dog to the towne squares. But in the future, if irresponsibility starts to overshadow responsibility... rule changes won't be very far away!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 03-29-2011, 03:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You had me under your spell until the "Letters need to be written." part. IN FACT, I am still under your spell. I think you are right. Except for I like dogs at the squares.

There is no person that I know of to whom you can right such a letter....and feel that having done so that the authorities have been told of your feelings and/or that they have been told and something will change...

That is how it is in a CDD form of government.

This is NOT a democracy here in The Villages.

Plus...I like dogs at the squares. I like them walking by my house. I like them peeking at me from golf carts.
I like dogs at the squares, too! But I truly have seen owners who seem to like it that their dog is a "big dog" that can seem intimidating.....(big in attitude, not necessarily size)....

I like the dogs at the squares.....but not such attitude from owners.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Old 03-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Dogs in the Square

dogs, I am afraid of dogs but only four kinds big ones, little ones, alive ones, dead ones To my way of thinking it is unkind to the dog to place them in a such a position as an overcrowed square. It is unfair to people who may not see this little creature and end up tripping over it. And it is unfair because of the situations similar to what has been described by skyguy. Do dog owners believe that their dogs are grooving to the music? Or do they believe their dog may have an opportunity to hook up to a cutie pooch? Are these dog owners frustrated "dog show" wanntabes strutting their "best in show" dog? Really take stock and examine why people go to the town square. Hint it is not to meet your dog.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
dogs, I am afraid of dogs but only four kinds big ones, little ones, alive ones, dead ones To my way of thinking it is unkind to the dog to place them in a such a position as an overcrowed square. It is unfair to people who may not see this little creature and end up tripping over it. And it is unfair because of the situations similar to what has been described by skyguy. Do dog owners believe that their dogs are grooving to the music? Or do they believe their dog may have an opportunity to hook up to a cutie pooch? Are these dog owners frustrated "dog show" wanntabes strutting their "best in show" dog? Really take stock and examine why people go to the town square. Hint it is not to meet your dog.
I have to say I have a dog who loves to dance. If we play msic at home he "asks" us to dance. He loves it. When at the square(if it's not a real busy night) we take Merlin with us. He is perfectly behaved and loves to slow dance between us.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TednRobin View Post
I have to say I have a dog who loves to dance. If we play msic at home he "asks" us to dance. He loves it. When at the square(if it's not a real busy night) we take Merlin with us. He is perfectly behaved and loves to slow dance between us.
Does he like an occasional martini between dances?
Old 03-29-2011, 05:34 PM
Smile Dogs in the Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Hi Josephine71,
Welcome! One of TV's attributes is that it's a dog-friendly community. Dogs are allowed on the squares. Those are the rules. Much as I enjoy seeing dogs on the squares, I do not take my own because he is small and could be stepped on or trip someone.

It is true that some dog owners don't always use good judgement. It is equally true that some non-pet owners don't use good judgement. Some drive too fast, don't enter and exit the roundabouts properly, deprive attending patrons by saving rows of prime seats at popular events for people who aren't there, are rude to others or don't play ready golf.

None of this is the fault of the rules. Likewise, your friend stepped in dog poop not because there's anything wrong with the rules but because some selfish, entitled person failed to follow them.

Pun intended, that's usually why sh** happen.
Great points, I agree. We would never be able to have any fun if all rules were made for the irresponsible few.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:56 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Dogs in the square

TednRobinH ow much is that doggie in the window It must be entertaining. Good luck with pooch
Old 03-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Platinum member

Ready for my two cents worth? I thought not but here goes anyway. I am a former dog owner. I like well mannered dogs. It is a sign of a well mannered owner. Well mannered dogs are welcome anywhere I am.
Banning dogs at the square would be unfair to those who are responsible dog owners. I will tolerate the irresponsible although I feel sorry for their dogs.
Banning dogs would have to be a joint effort between the VCCD and Lady Lake or Sumter County. The streets are public. Inside the square is not.
Banning dogs would send a very negative message to potential buyers. Not only to dog owners but it would say to me that if they can ban dogs there is no telling what other mischief they can cause. Ban cats, kids, in-laws or anything that walks flies or swims? Nope. Won't work. Bad idea. If dogs were banned I am afraid The Villages would become a ghost town.
BTW, as far as I know there is no cure for irresponsibility.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:46 PM

I see this is a ever losing battle,people don't matter.....
Old 03-29-2011, 06:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Oh, the joy there must be in carrying around those little bags of poop in your pocket.
Thank you for my evening laugh, Bogie Shooter!
Old 03-29-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
TednRobinH ow much is that doggie in the window It must be entertaining. Good luck with pooch
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.