Dogs in the Square and etc.

Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2011, 07:18 PM
Platinum member
Default Dear Josephine,

I wasn't going to stick my two cents in, but changed my mind, wanting to add to this great partial quote below: Thanks Irish!

[QUOTE=Irish Rover;
If you really want to complain about something, sit behind or near a lady or guy in the theatres after they have dipped themselves in some obnoxious scent. Tha's as bad as stepping in dog do, maybe even worse.
Just my humble opinion.
Irish[/QUOTE]

I love well mannered, well kept doggies of any kind. Same with children and adults. If I am hemmed in by ANY obnoxious intrusion, or feel unsafe in an area, rather than sit there disgruntled and spoil my outing by being ticked off, or sit there tolerating something I can't stand (while my stomach turns) I finally learned do something nice for myself and move to a more suitable spot.
Yep, I might have to give up an ideal view, so what. I consider moving away from the offending whatever, a gift to myself that I have control over. And I get over the rest and enjoy my outing.
You can't 'enlighten' anyone who doesn't want to be enlightened, or who walks this earth unconscious. It's the old 'pounding the square peg in the round hole' trick.
As far as poop is concerned, I just watch carefully where I place my feetsies.... keeps me out of holes, too.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:45 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
If dogs were banned I am afraid The Villages would become a ghost town.
As I said previously, I'm not in favor of banning dogs from the squares BUT... don't you think that the above statement is an extreme case of hyperbole? I really don't think the vast majority of people decide to come to TV just because they can bring their pooches to the squares... or did they? The Villages Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by TednRobin View Post
I have to say I have a dog who loves to dance. If we play msic at home he "asks" us to dance. He loves it. When at the square(if it's not a real busy night) we take Merlin with us. He is perfectly behaved and loves to slow dance between us.
Video please! The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 03-29-2011, 08:00 PM
Veteran member

What exactly are ya’ll referring to when you say the “town squares”? Do you mean mainly the music/dancing area, or do you mean the entire “town” area, including the streets and the shopping/dining/park areas? Please forgive my ignorance...I’ve only visited TV once.

And once was enough. We came home and put our house on the market and are anxiously waiting for the day that we will be Villagers.

I have two small friendly dogs. I realize that some people are afraid of dogs, don’t like them, have allergies, etc. I never let my dogs approach someone unless that person expresses an interest in meeting them. I don’t let them walk on other people’s property and I always immediately pick up their poop, even if it’s in my own yard.

I would leave them home if I were going to an event that was really crowded, but in general, being able to take my dogs (just about) everywhere is one of the main reasons I want to move to TV. I know it may sound silly to some folks, but being with my dogs is among my greatest joys. And going out in public with me seems to make them pretty darned happy too. If dogs were banned from public areas, I would not be nearly as enamored with TV.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybo View Post
If dogs were banned from public areas, I would not be nearly as enamored with TV.
Ditto. I love taking my dogs to some of the restaurants that allow pets on the patio for outdoor dining. The dogs love the entertainment of people watching. And, it seems, most people like to see our dogs.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephine71 View Post
I see this is a ever losing battle,people don't matter.....
People do matter, Josephine. People with dogs and people without dogs matter. People who like dogs and people who dislike dogs matter. They all matter but finding a solution that will fit all sizes make it appear some may not matter.
Like you, I wish dog owners would train their dogs to deposit on their own property. It can be done as I have done it. I have had to tell a neighbor twice to not let his dogs do their thing on my property. He now lets them do it on another neighbor's property. I have another neighbor whose dogs start barking as soon as I step out my front door. I feel sorry for some of the dogs I see at the squares. I don't believe banning them is practical and, as I said in an earlier post, you can't cure irresponsibility.
I understand your frustration but there are some things we can't change. Sometimes we just grin and bear it.
BTW, I see you are a relatively new poster. Don't let this foray into our midst discourage you.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:21 PM

I love dogs. But why do other dog lovers put their beloved pets through misery? I challenge anyone to walk around barefoot on the hot cement/blacktop that surrounds the squares. Dogs and other animals feet can withstand the cold but when the sun has been beating down all day on the pavement and these people bring a dog to an event that the dog really doesn't have any interest in, they may be in pain! Be nice to your pets, let them stay at home where it is cooler, people don't trample them and they can get a much needed nap!
Old 03-29-2011, 08:23 PM
Veteran member

Each dog and owner have their own personalities. Dog and owner are either well trained or ill-trained. Only the OWNER knows if FIDO can handle crowds. Only the OWNER can know if FIDO needs to poop 3 times before coming to the square so that FIDO doesn't poop inappropriately because his balls, excuse me, his BOWELS were moved by the excitement when meeting a Fidoette! Personally we take our Fido in the golf cart and keep him from all these large, looming adults that might step on him. Mine would get too nervous and probably poop a fourth time due to the excitement. And, I don't like cleaning steamy poop up in a plastic baggy. In otherwords, it's a case by case situation. IMHO! People get so turned on by holding their Fidoette while dancing with them. Why take that little bit of joy from the owner? Now..actually, I think a dance with a huge German Shephard would be quite interesting????

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
Old 03-29-2011, 08:35 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
People do matter, Josephine. People with dogs and people without dogs matter. People who like dogs and people who dislike dogs matter. They all matter but finding a solution that will fit all sizes make it appear some may not matter.
Like you, I wish dog owners would train their dogs to deposit on their own property. It can be done as I have done it. I have had to tell a neighbor twice to not let his dogs do their thing on my property. He now lets them do it on another neighbor's property. I have another neighbor whose dogs start barking as soon as I step out my front door. I feel sorry for some of the dogs I see at the squares. I don't believe banning them is practical and, as I said in an earlier post, you can't cure irresponsibility.
I understand your frustration but there are some things we can't change. Sometimes we just grin and bear it.
BTW, I see you are a relatively new poster. Don't let this foray into our midst discourage you.
Well said...
Old 03-29-2011, 08:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
I challenge anyone to walk around barefoot on the hot cement/blacktop ... when the sun has been beating down all day on the pavement ... , they may be in pain!
This is true. So many times I have seen people walking dogs on black asphalt in the middle of summer. As politely as possible (in my shock and dismay), I approach those folks and ask them to try the pavement out on their own feet before they ask their dog to do so. Sometimes, these dogs are yanking on the leash, trying to get to a spot of grass, and the people are getting angry at the poor pup cause he's not walking nicely as usual. THINK, PEOPLE!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:12 PM
Sage
Unhappy Hmmm.....

I do like seeing dogs at the square but as I said above, some can be intimidating.

Several people here tell the starter of this thread that people do matter ("more than animals" is what I think josephine has tried to say), but it's not very convincing.

Why is it that children and young adults--even up to age 30--can be banned from using the adult pools and sport pools because of annoyance and disruption to adults enjoying those pools and decks, but yet the idea of banning dogs from the squares' seating/dancing area is met with such anger and condescension toward the person who started this thread?
Old 03-29-2011, 09:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Maybe I'm missing something.....but I haven't read anything that smacks of anger or condescension. Just people expressing, very kindly and nicely, a different point of view.

Hmmmm.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybo View Post

I would leave them home if I were going to an event that was really crowded, but in general, being able to take my dogs (just about) everywhere is one of the main reasons I want to move to TV. I know it may sound silly to some folks, but being with my dogs is among my greatest joys. And going out in public with me seems to make them pretty darned happy too. If dogs were banned from public areas, I would not be nearly as enamored with TV.
Skybo, it doesn't sound silly to me at all that being with your dogs is among your greatest joys. A lot of us feel the same way. (And I agree that dogs have no place at crowded events).

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
As I said previously, I'm not in favor of banning dogs from the squares BUT... don't you think that the above statement is an extreme case of hyperbole? I really don't think the vast majority of people decide to come to TV just because they can bring their pooches to the squares... or did they?
We purchased in The Villages because it is an extremely pet-friendly community, and we love animals. I agree that the vast majority of people probably don't decide to come to TV because they can bring their dogs to the Squares. But I'll bet a lot of people bought in TV because they were seeking a pet-friendly environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdeck View Post

Also, keep in mind some of us pet owners have lost our mate and now our comfort is our pet (who by the way was always there during bad times - who is will be there for you when that time comes). aj
And there are some of us that feel dogs are an integral part of our family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post

This dog situation, like public smoking, is a question of the "rights" of a few proudly militant dog owners who force their dogs onto other people who have good reason to fear dogs from past, real experience; or who force their dogs onto TV visitors, guests and residents who do not consider stepping in manure to be a necessary part of enjoying the totally unique atmosphere at the town squares.
I have never, ever seen anyone force their dog onto other people. But I have seen people flocking around dogs to ask questions and pat them. Many retirees don't have pets anymore but just love to see and touch them.

Dog owners who force their dogs onto other people? When I take my large dog, Lolli Pop, to the Square, I can guarantee that at least 30 people will approach me and ask for perrmission to pat her. She is friendly and loves attention; and those who ask to pat her are delighted with her affection.

Stepping in manure at the Squares? In four years I've never seen manure at either of the Squares. But I have stepped in ice cream cones dropped by kids.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:11 AM

We have two little Yorkshire Terriers Sammy and Lilly. They are high strung little creatures when they are around crowds. We would not bring them to the squares because Lilly would pee her brains out and usually on me.

But I love seeing the dogs at the squares and I have never stepped in manure or encountered a rude dog or dog owner. Thats what I find intriguing about the TV is the textures of people and their pets.

I don't want to live in a complete sterile environment. Before deciding on the TV, we did some extensive research on planned 55+ communities. Many of the communities we researched were so riddled with rules, I could feel the coldness. I want rules, but not hard core rigid rules that suppress people from from being free to express themselves.

Some people want rules for everything, they feel more secure with rules. The thing that attracted me about TV is the joy for living. God knows we are in our last stages of life and let's live it up, let's pet a dog, pet a cat or even pet the ex husband, not really.

Im in favor of having dogs in the squares as long as the owner is reponsible for their care.

It's not going to stop me from dancing, clapping or singing out of tune. I'm going to let go and just be darn grateful we found a community that loves living as much as I do.

There's a saying- Don't sweat the small stuff. It's all about our perception. Get out there and enjoy your day, I know I am.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Jhooman -- you just put me in a GREAT mood! Thanks
Old 03-30-2011, 12:47 PM
Sage

Jhooman, what a refreshing and sunny post. You have a great attitude. You're right ... we don't have time in our Golden years to sweat the small stuff!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.