Dogs in the Square and etc.

Closed Thread
Old 03-31-2011, 12:24 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
Most dogs chase cars and bicycles because they go fast, and the instinct to chase prey is activated. Scooters don't go fast enough to activate that instinct. Especially if the square is crowded
Again, thanks for the responses! I hadn't read this post before my last post, but I must say that you have presented some excellent arguments (term of debate) here and I appreciate each and every one.

However, I still can't accept that a person cannot part with their pal as I indicated in the last post. I also have one reservation in what you stated above. My scooter has a max speed of 5.5 mph and I have seen a dog at my mail station start toward me just to be stopped by the owner and its leash! So it is possible that the instinct can be activated at lower speeds. I must admit though that I couldn't tell for sure if it was the instinct to chase or the desire to greet me, get attention and give me a lickn'!
The Villages Florida
I do hope though that I, as well as a dogs owner, will never have to find out if I was right or wrong about this or what will result from it!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 03-31-2011, 07:17 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I used to have an Old English Sheepdog that went with me whenever possible. He was my buddy, my protector, my ham, my attention getter, my guy. Since I worked long hours, our hours together were special and I'd be danged if he would stay home when he could come with me. He waited outside of grocery stores for me. When allowed, he went into clothing stores with me (all the clerks at Nordie's knew Sleeper and would run over to pet him). I'd been known to cancel or decline an invite where Sleeper wasn't welcome. I would much rather spend the time with him than with most people.

Now, would I take him to a square when I knew it was going to be really crowded? I doubt it. I don't like crowds, so I wouldn't go, anyway, but even if I did, it wouldn't be fair to him. A small dog is a different story. I could carry a little dog and would. As I said, I love seeing the dogs at the squares and do go out of my way to pet them.

As to scooter/wheel chair issues, as K-9 said, dogs will get out of their way. I can see a dog chasing a scooter on a path, but not at the squares -- just not enough room for a scooter to move quickly enough to be an issue. I do understand that there are some idiots who take snappy dogs to the squares (never understood that one -- why take the risk of a lawsuit or, worse yet, having to put your beloved dog down because it bit someone) but I really can't imagine a dog trying to bite a leg, whether in a chair, a scooter or just standing unless the dog felt threatened. That threat usuallly would come from someone trying to pet it, not because you're there.

As to those who feel that dogs don't belong at the squares, I do understand your position. I don't totally agree with it since I think petting the dogs is a great treat for me, but you do have my sympathy. I do agree that dogs should not be taken to events when the squares are overly crowded (parades, Rocky & the Rollers, etc.), but normal crowds should be okay IMO.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-31-2011, 07:26 AM
Location: Village of Buttonwood, original town Hubbard, OH (suburb of Youngstown)
Default Dogs in the Square

I love dogs! The only reason that we don't bring our Shih Tzu is for his health. He has some heart problems and is best left at home. I love seeing all the doggies in the square and would be sad if they had to stay home!
Old 03-31-2011, 07:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I used to have an Old English Sheepdog that went with me whenever possible. He was my buddy, my protector, my ham, my attention getter, my guy. Since I worked long hours, our hours together were special and I'd be danged if he would stay home when he could come with me. He waited outside of grocery stores for me. When allowed, he went into clothing stores with me (all the clerks at Nordie's knew Sleeper and would run over to pet him). I'd been known to cancel or decline an invite where Sleeper wasn't welcome. I would much rather spend the time with him than with most people.

Now, would I take him to a square when I knew it was going to be really crowded? I doubt it. I don't like crowds, so I wouldn't go, anyway, but even if I did, it wouldn't be fair to him. A small dog is a different story. I could carry a little dog and would. As I said, I love seeing the dogs at the squares and do go out of my way to pet them.

As to scooter/wheel chair issues, as K-9 said, dogs will get out of their way. I can see a dog chasing a scooter on a path, but not at the squares -- just not enough room for a scooter to move quickly enough to be an issue. I do understand that there are some idiots who take snappy dogs to the squares (never understood that one -- why take the risk of a lawsuit or, worse yet, having to put your beloved dog down because it bit someone) but I really can't imagine a dog trying to bite a leg, whether in a chair, a scooter or just standing unless the dog felt threatened. That threat usuallly would come from someone trying to pet it, not because you're there.

As to those who feel that dogs don't belong at the squares, I do understand your position. I don't totally agree with it since I think petting the dogs is a great treat for me, but you do have my sympathy. I do agree that dogs should not be taken to events when the squares are overly crowded (parades, Rocky & the Rollers, etc.), but normal crowds should be okay IMO.
Red, you are so articulate and so intelligent and so diplomatic.

Kind is what I love best.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:11 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Excuse me for not quoting - but there are so many comments....

SkyGuy, if you go way back to near the start of this thread, you will see that I mentioned that due to his size, I don't like to bring Finley to the squares when they are especially crowded. Finley is an 11 pound Maltipoo - so small enough to get stepped on, but to heavy to carry around all evening. We sometimes bring him in the cart and sit with him there.

K9 - you got it exactly right about dogs and their companions. The bond is strong and almost instantaneous. I have always been a cat person (and dearly love mine), but a cat's independence (a trait I always loved) is do different from the dependence of a dog to a human. I think our protective instincts kick in with a new pup or rescue.

So, that being said.... I hope the humans think of their companions when they bring them on outings. Just because we like Rocky & the Rollers at the square, doesn't mean our doggy will. It all comes down to the Golden Rule...with people and with dogs...
Old 03-31-2011, 08:28 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
Excuse me for not quoting - but there are so many comments....

SkyGuy, if you go way back to near the start of this thread, you will see that I mentioned that due to his size, I don't like to bring Finley to the squares when they are especially crowded. Finley is an 11 pound Maltipoo - so small enough to get stepped on, but to heavy to carry around all evening. We sometimes bring him in the cart and sit with him there.

K9 - you got it exactly right about dogs and their companions. The bond is strong and almost instantaneous. I have always been a cat person (and dearly love mine), but a cat's independence (a trait I always loved) is do different from the dependence of a dog to a human. I think our protective instincts kick in with a new pup or rescue.

So, that being said.... I hope the humans think of their companions when they bring them on outings. Just because we like Rocky & the Rollers at the square, doesn't mean our doggy will. It all comes down to the Golden Rule...with people and with dogs...
katexbox, you sound like a good mommy to your Finley.
I really don't think that most of us differ very much about our feeling for our pets as well as the pets of others. We just have slightly different views that are motivated by concern for the safety and welfare of both our selves and our leetle friends! I think that this has been a healthy debate where I've learned from those of you who offered your feelings and opinions and I hope you have mutually learned from what I had to contribute.

Now, if in the future you see me at the squares or mailboxes on my scooter and you're little buddies are with you, you had better give me a chance to give them a little scratchey-poo on their little chins or around the ears! Just approach with care and leave any pet gorillas at home!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 03-31-2011, 07:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Let me try to explain why people want to take their dogs with them everywhere.

Your dog shows you a reflection of the best part of yourself. The part of you that you wish everyone could see and acknowledge.

When you spend time with a dog who knows you well, and whom you know well, there is a strong connection between the two of you. The two of you can communicate with each other with a quick glance, with the sound of your breath, or the tap of a finger or paw. It is a language only you two share.

When your dog is having fun, you can feel it in your heart. It is very fulfilling to bring joy and pleasure to a dog, because they express their feelings so openly.

Most dogs like meeting new people and other dogs because they are very social beings and love interaction.

If a dog loves you, there is no place they would rather be than with you. And seeing their disappointment when they know you are leaving them behind tugs at your heart.

If these are things you don't understand, or cannot comprehend, then you might consider spending time getting to really know the heart, emotions and intelligent mind of a dog. Until that connection is something you have experienced, it will be impossible for you to understand.
K-9, that is beautiful and really nails it. I love the joy in dogs' eyes when they comprehend they're not being left at home, but will be able to be with their humans.

I could really relate to Dee's story about her sheepdog.

Of course I would never take my dogs to the square when it is crowded. I wouldn't lock my dogs in the car on a hot day. I wouldn't walk my dogs on the hot pavement. However I think that taking my dogs to the Square on a night that isn't busy is a treat for me, and a treat for them. I always carry my little dog 10 (lbs) if there are people around. My 70 lb dog, Lolli Pop, is so busy getting and giving love, there is always a line-up to pat her.

Isn't it wonderful seeing all the ponds full of water and all the wildlife splashing around? Gotta love The Villages, it is so pretty.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

Your dog shows you a reflection of the best part of yourself. The part of you that you wish everyone could see and acknowledge.

When you spend time with a dog who knows you well, and whom you know well, there is a strong connection between the two of you. The two of you can communicate with each other with a quick glance, with the sound of your breath, or the tap of a finger or paw. It is a language only you two share.

When your dog is having fun, you can feel it in your heart. It is very fulfilling to bring joy and pleasure to a dog, because they express their feelings so openly.

Most dogs like meeting new people and other dogs because they are very social beings and love interaction.

If a dog loves you, there is no place they would rather be than with you. And seeing their disappointment when they know you are leaving them behind tugs at your heart.

If these are things you don't understand, or cannot comprehend, then you might consider spending time getting to really know the heart, emotions and intelligent mind of a dog. Until that connection is something you have experienced, it will be impossible for you to understand.
I loved everything K9 and Red had to say. My Duffy rides to Market Square in the cart and he doesn't leave the cart ever. In the past we couldn't walk two steps without Duffy being loved on by strangers which was lovely but like Dee I don't like crowds. What this tells me is that people love the doggies on the Squares. I've never seen a dog misbehave but I have witnessed two fist fights.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:25 PM
Veteran member

DuffysMom - You have actually witnessed two fist fights at the town squares? Were they persons of Villages age (okay, seniors) or were they younger people?

I have seen drunks down there a couple of times but no fighting.

Amazing, isn't it?
Old 03-31-2011, 08:53 PM

We enjoyed the town squares so much. The dogs are welcome, they are conversation starters and make people at ease that are usually up tight.

I have dreamed for years about walking our dogs in TV. We will certainly clean up after them.

It is part of the Dream.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:05 PM
Sage

Quote:

What a heart-warming post. That's it exactly. The love, bond and trust between us and our dogs is hard to explain, and probably even harder to imagine for those who haven't experienced it.

I've always been a little in awe of it actually-- the fact that there can be that much intellectual and emotional connection across two species.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:52 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartonjelly View Post
We enjoyed the town squares so much. The dogs are welcome, they are conversation starters and make people at ease that are usually up tight.

I have dreamed for years about walking our dogs in TV. We will certainly clean up after them.

It is part of the Dream.
Wow - what a lovely post. We hope to welcome you soon..
Old 04-01-2011, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

I have printed this, folded it, and put it in my main cookbook. That is where I tuck in things that are important to me.

I know my children will cherish my cookbook.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:04 AM

I think some of you need to get a life...You are going to far...I bet some of you didn't take your children with you where ever you went you found baby sitters to take care of them so you could go and have a good time..I know a dog or a puppy or a cat and I have had many or any other kind of animal can be a joy in your life and I had 2 dogs also wish I loved but I didn't take them every where I went some of you are going to far with this....I said I wasn't going to post any more about dogs in the square but when I see posts like this I have to say something...I was never a member on here and I signed on a while ago to see what it was all about now I see and I don't think I would like to be a member of Talk of the Village...I still say dogs don't belong at the square,and I don't blame the dogs I blame the owners...
Old 04-01-2011, 08:11 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephine71 View Post
I think some of you need to get a life...You are going to far...I bet some of you didn't take your children with you where ever you went you found baby sitters to take care of them so you could go and have a good time..I know a dog or a puppy or a cat and I have had many or any other kind of animal can be a joy in your life and I had 2 dogs also wish I loved but I didn't take them every where I went some of you are going to far with this....I said I wasn't going to post any more about dogs in the square but when I see posts like this I have to say something...I was never a member on here and I signed on a while ago to see what it was all about now I see and I don't think I would like to be a member of Talk of the Village...I still say dogs don't belong at the square,and I don't blame the dogs I blame the owners...
What a mean, judgmental post. Some dare disagree with you and that makes TOTV something you don't want to belong to. Because some feel their dogs and cats are more than just pets mean they need to get a life? Um, they have a life and part of their life is their pet.

Fine, you don't like dogs at the squares. I do and, apparently, so do enough people that they are allowed. If enough folks complained, I'm willing to bet that a no-pet policy would be implemented by the powers that be. So, rather than be gracious about the fact that the majority disagree with you and find the good in TOTV (of which there is a tremendous amount), you decide to put it and the posters here down.

Nothing personal, but I doubt if you'll be missed and I sincerely hope you don't use the wisdom posted here to your advantage.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.