Dogs in the Square and etc.

Closed Thread
Old 04-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephine71 View Post
Thank you....
Josephine,

As I was following this thread, I have found it difficult to keep up with your posts - because you comment without quoting. If you would, please click the quote button on the bottom right of a post you wish to comment on. It makes for much easier reading.

k
Old 04-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Veteran member

Sunday, April 3 -

I just returned from Spanish Springs square from seeing Norman Lee and the Boondock Saints. Good show as always.

However, during the Electric Slide dance, an unsupervised child around 2 years old was trying to dance with the crowd, got right in back of a dancing woman, the woman did not notice the child, stepped backward and both the child and 60-ish woman went down on the cement square. Luckily, neither were hurt - but the woman was very upset at the child's parent who came running up.

Several dogs were present at the square - not in the dancing area - and all dogs were on short leashes or held in arms or in carriers.

Parents, please do not let your children go to the dance area by themselves!
Old 04-03-2011, 06:15 PM

Lots of people here have dogs, not too many have kids. Must have
been guests.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:37 PM

Hey all. Have Read most threads here. We are in early investigation phase. Snow birding,,, then???

Question..... I have read all of the pet threads. Some love them some, not so much. We currently have 4 (know the restrictions).

We are responsible owners and cognizant of others concerns. Much as we try to get them to go at home before a walk, it doesn't always work. Are folks there upset when a pet goes in the grass and it is picked up at once? I here people say to make sure they go at home, really?

Anyway, just thought we would ask for our virgin post...........
Old 04-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_pine View Post
Hey all. Have Read most threads here. We are in early investigation phase. Snow birding,,, then???

Question..... I have read all of the pet threads. Some love them some, not so much. We currently have 4 (know the restrictions).

We are responsible owners and cognizant of others concerns. Much as we try to get them to go at home before a walk, it doesn't always work. Are folks there upset when a pet goes in the grass and it is picked up at once? I here people say to make sure they go at home, really?

Anyway, just thought we would ask for our virgin post...........
Jack Pine,
Glad you have joined us here on TOTV. I can't speak for everyone, but I can assure you if your dog pooped in my yard and you picked it up, I'd wave and say hi and come pet your dogs if you let me.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Jack Pine,
Glad you have joined us here on TOTV. I can't speak for everyone, but I can assure you if your dog pooped in my yard and you picked it up, I'd wave and say hi and come pet your dogs if you let me.
Thanks, as much as we try, it has something to do with the wiggly walking motion that seems to get their systems going.

We are on 5 acres here and have cottage on 80 acres in Wisconsin so it's not an issue here.

We are looking at doing a week there soon to explore. The whole pet atmosphere thing is key for us.

Thanks for replying............
Old 04-03-2011, 06:58 PM
Veteran member

Yes, the little child was granddaughter of some Villages resident most likely.

Although, there are quite a few people from outside The Villages who come to the entertainment on a regular basis. As you know, you do not have to be a Villages resident to enjoy our excellent entertainment on the squares. In fact, Lake Weir Living and a Del Webb community nearby both advertise that fact for moving to their communities.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
Josephine,

As I was following this thread, I have found it difficult to keep up with your posts - because you comment without quoting. If you would, please click the quote button on the bottom right of a post you wish to comment on. It makes for much easier reading.

k
Holly cow, I have been on since 07 and did not know this. Thanks!
Old 04-03-2011, 07:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Jack Pine,

Welcome to TOTV.

Many people don't realize that in the wild, dogs mark the perimeter of their large territories by leaving urine and feces. Male dogs especially, will save urine for marking, never completely emptying their bladders.

All dogs have "anal glands" which leave a scent on feces just as it leaves the anus. This scent is the reason dogs like to smell each others droppings. The scent gives information about the dog's health, age, gender, and other info. That's also why dogs want to smell each others hind quarters -- to gather information.

Because of the strong instinct to "mark" it is natural for a dog to urinate and defacate during a walk. And like you said, walking gets things moving -- for dogs and humans!

Some people are offended by a dog using their yard, even if you clean it up! So we walk our dogs in the "common areas" rather than walking them down the streets in our neighborhood. Some examples of common areas are the rec centers, grassy areas next to main streets where there are no houses, parks, mail stops, etc. Always pick up droppings with a plastic bag, then take the bag home to be thrown in your own trash.

We've not encountered one person who was upset by our dogs. Quite the opposite -- most people want to greet and pet them and say hello to us. Come see for yourself -- you and your dogs will love it here.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default A moving violation or two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
Sunday, April 3 -

I just returned from Spanish Springs square from seeing Norman Lee and the Boondock Saints. Good show as always.

However, during the Electric Slide dance, an unsupervised child around 2 years old was trying to dance with the crowd, got right in back of a dancing woman, the woman did not notice the child, stepped backward and both the child and 60-ish woman went down on the cement square. Luckily, neither were hurt - but the woman was very upset at the child's parent who came running up.

Several dogs were present at the square - not in the dancing area - and all dogs were on short leashes or held in arms or in carriers.

Parents, please do not let your children go to the dance area by themselves!
Possibly a DUI (dancing under the influence).
I wonder who had the right of way?
Just thinking out loud.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
Jack Pine,

Welcome to TOTV.

Many people don't realize that in the wild, dogs mark the perimeter of their large territories by leaving urine and feces. Male dogs especially, will save urine for marking, never completely emptying their bladders.

All dogs have "anal glands" which leave a scent on feces just as it leaves the anus. This scent is the reason dogs like to smell each others droppings. The scent gives information about the dog's health, age, gender, and other info. That's also why dogs want to smell each others hind quarters -- to gather information.

Because of the strong instinct to "mark" it is natural for a dog to urinate and defacate during a walk. And like you said, walking gets things moving -- for dogs and humans!

Some people are offended by a dog using their yard, even if you clean it up! So we walk our dogs in the "common areas" rather than walking them down the streets in our neighborhood. Some examples of common areas are the rec centers, grassy areas next to main streets where there are no houses, parks, mail stops, etc. Always pick up droppings with a plastic bag, then take the bag home to be thrown in your own trash.

We've not encountered one person who was upset by our dogs. Quite the opposite -- most people want to greet and pet them and say hello to us. Come see for yourself -- you and your dogs will love it here.
Thanks, got it. that kind of gets to my point.

Doing the "duty" walk we would certainly do it in approved areas. However, when we want to go on a long exercise walk with the pups, stuff may happen. Your response (no offense intended) Is what I have heard and have some concerns about. i.e. Have them do it at home or in common areas. Would try, but sometimes...

Sorry, just trying to get the "feel" of TV.

Looking forward to our visits. Now, can I get a really fast cart?? (kidding)
Old 04-03-2011, 08:08 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_pine View Post
Thanks, got it. that kind of gets to my point.

Doing the "duty" walk we would certainly do it in approved areas. However, when we want to go on a long exercise walk with the pups, stuff may happen. Your response (no offense intended) Is what I have heard and have some concerns about. i.e. Have them do it at home or in common areas. Would try, but sometimes...

Sorry, just trying to get the "feel" of TV.

Looking forward to our visits. Now, can I get a really fast cart?? (kidding)
Jack, Welcome... I do not have K-9s extensive knowledge of our furry friends, nor PT's writing ability, but here is how I see it.

We walk our doggy around the yard first thing in the a.m. to let him relieve himself. We then walk to a large common area near a pond. here he lets all the other doggies know that "Finley wuz here" just as K9 describes. By doing this he is less likely to need to marinate in someone's lawn. he loves to walk along the curbing at the edge of the road, but has been trained not to stray onto others' property. We use a 6 foot loose leash to walk him.

Is there ever a time that need gets the better of him to either urinate or defecate? I'm sure there is, but cannot remember a time lately. However, he is no longer a pup, but still young. We need to make allowances for the older doggies - like us stuff doesn't work the way it used to.

Most people will understand. Some will not. Others will not train their dogs to respect others property by giving them ample time "to go" in designated areas. I think that those who don't understand are often a factor of those pet owners who don't care, and it sounds to me as if you do care so not to worry.

k
Old 04-03-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
Jack, Welcome... I do not have K-9s extensive knowledge of our furry friends, nor PT's writing ability, but here is how I see it.

We walk our doggy around the yard first thing in the a.m. to let him relieve himself. We then walk to a large common area near a pond. here he lets all the other doggies know that "Finley wuz here" just as K9 describes. By doing this he is less likely to need to marinate in someone's lawn. he loves to walk along the curbing at the edge of the road, but has been trained not to stray onto others' property. We use a 6 foot loose leash to walk him.

Is there ever a time that need gets the better of him to either urinate or defecate? I'm sure there is, but cannot remember a time lately. However, he is no longer a pup, but still young. We need to make allowances for the older doggies - like us stuff doesn't work the way it used to.

Most people will understand. Some will not. Others will not train their dogs to respect others property by giving them ample time "to go" in designated areas. I think that those who don't understand are often a factor of those pet owners who don't care, and it sounds to me as if you do care so not to worry.

k
thanks..........
Old 04-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Please wipe your pup's paws

Folks, just a suggestion -- if you're going to walk your dogs in common areas, please get some baby wipes and clean their paws when you get home. There have been a few cases of foot cancer in dogs and the theory is that it was probably caused by all the chemicals being used, especially by TV crews (most personal yards don't use quite as strong chemicals).

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-04-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Folks, just a suggestion -- if you're going to walk your dogs in common areas, please get some baby wipes and clean their paws when you get home. There have been a few cases of foot cancer in dogs and the theory is that it was probably caused by all the chemicals being used, especially by TV crews (most personal yards don't use quite as strong chemicals).
I have never thought of that. Still not in TV but when that time comes we will bring Minnie and Gracie our Cavachons !
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.