Donating furniture to charity

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Default Donating furniture to charity

This is my first post--we have been here less than a week. We made the trek down from frozen Wisconsin to our new home in St.Charles. We have some furniture, quilts, and dishes to donate. Is there an organization that will come out and pick items up?? Thank you. I look forward to being a part of Talk of the Villages :-)
Old 01-10-2011, 02:31 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Habitat for Humanity will take furniture, not sure about other items. The Red Cross frequently has pick ups where you leave items on the curb for them -- give 'em a call and see when the next one is. Goodwill and Salvation Army will pick up furniture and other donations.

If you don't care about getting the tax deduction, I've found freecycle.org )a Yahoo Group) to be an excellent source to give away items. You do a post with a list of items to be given away, people who need what you have make arrangements to get them. It really is a nice way to get things to those who truly need them (with, of course, the occasional cheat of someone who only takes for garage sales -- but that's their main source of income, so I guess not really cheating).

Local churches frequently have names of people who are starting out and have a true need of household items. I personally know of two young couples and a battered woman who are in need.

Lots of great ways to give to those who need here.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Veteran member

WELCOME FELLOW WISCONSINITE ~~~ GO PACK

St Vincent de Paul does pickups
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 01-10-2011, 02:42 PM
Gold member

Habitat also takes smaller items and clothes. They have a thrift store - off of 44 (we take Buena Vista south of 466A thru the new area that leads to future Brownwood Paddock, and turn right on a County Rd that is well marked with a sign and donation trailer, can't remember the Rd. #
Old 01-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Gold member

We donated our extras to Habitat for Humanity.
They will send a truck to your home and load it.
This is the store off RTE 44.

Habitat for Humanity
6761 Cr 149
The Villages, FL 32162
352-330-0881

Welcome to the villages, and congratulations on your new home.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:56 PM

Welcome, What part of Wisconsin are you from. I spent the first 18 years of my life in Eau Claire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyWisconsin View Post
This is my first post--we have been here less than a week. We made the trek down from frozen Wisconsin to our new home in St.Charles. We have some furniture, quilts, and dishes to donate. Is there an organization that will come out and pick items up?? Thank you. I look forward to being a part of Talk of the Villages :-)
Old 01-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Gold member

Hubby and I volunteer at a local animal sanctuary and they are desperate for towels and blankets for the doggies; please call and we can make arrangements to pick up. We thank you and the doggies will be warm and comfy with your donation. Thanks for considering this.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:20 PM

Thanks!! We have lived in Eau Claire for the last 25 years--Wausau before that.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:15 AM
Gold member
Default Welcome to the Villages

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyWisconsin View Post
I'm happy to say -- you're already a part of TOTV!. Live the lifestyle and enjoy!!
Welcome
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.