Downsizing in order to live in the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2020, 05:54 AM

We got rid of 40 years of stuff and started new with one uhaul cube and a car full of things essential to us.
Start new start fresh!!!!
PS.. the kids appreciated the cleansing too.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektron297 View Post
Anybody have some downsizing tips they would like to pass along? We are wondering that when we move to the Villages, there won't be much space for "stuff". Where do you put your things that need to be stored such as Christmas decorations? It appears that there has to be some serious downsizing to move into the Villages.
Rule 1. Before moving seriously throw out stuff you don't use or will not ever use again. Begin with a garage sale. Simply your life and stuff. Don't hoard.
Rule 2. See rule 1 above.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:02 AM
Default What to get rid of to move to TV.

If you have not used it within the last 13 months, you don't need it. It's just stuff.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Anybody have some downsizing tips they would like to pass along? We are wondering that when we move to the Villages, there won't be much space for "stuff". Where do you put your things that need to be stored such as Christmas decorations? It appears that there has to be some serious downsizing to move into the Villages.
I just moved here in June downsizing from a much larger space. My advice is to find a good charity and or family members who need some of your belongings and you’ll know that it was to a good cause.
My only regret so far, I brought too much and paid way too much to haul it here.
Happy moving!
Old 07-13-2020, 06:05 AM
Default Downsizing

I sold virtually everything. I kept family albums and photos, one lamp I liked, three prints I liked and my two bikes. I had an estate sale and sold everything there. Pack what you can fit in your car and leave the rest. Buy new furniture. Essentially start over. It's very liberating! Good luck!
Old 07-13-2020, 06:08 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,136 Times in 881 Posts

If you don't need the money there are charities like Habitat for Humanity or Furniture Banks that will come and pick up all your furniture and stuff for a minimal fee and may even give you a tax deduction receipt. Starting fresh is fantastic, but it does get very cold (sometimes freezing) in the winter in TV. You will need some of your coats, sweaters, pants and even light boots if you want to be outside at the squares to boogie down.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,355 Times in 2,508 Posts

My wife made me throw away all my, "that will be usefull one day" offcuts of timber when we last moved.
Still miss them terribly!
Old 07-13-2020, 06:24 AM
Veteran member

We downsized before coming here, getting rid of most of our Christmas decorations. Then we felt the first house we got here was a bit too small and upsized. Now we are adding to our seasonal decoration stash.

Most designer and premier homes have lots of attic storage, assuming you have things that won’t melt. You can add proper stairs and/or dumbwaiters to get things up and down. Some people use their non-master bedroom closets for that type of stuff. Some people add on storage rooms to their house. If you look at preowned homes you might be able to see the way people add storage to their homes.

The other thing is lots of people head to family for holidays, and don’t do much seasonal decorating.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Do not bring a bunch of “stuff” with you. Sell all furniture and purchase here those things that will fit.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:37 AM
Default Downsizing in order to live in the Villages

Quote:
I put flooring in all areas above garage plus built shelves and store all Christmas items, yard tool, flower pots and a vast array of items up there;and no we don't have a heat issue as the builder did a great job with installing great roof vents and no we don't have extra fans in the area
Old 07-13-2020, 06:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
certainly get rid of what you really don't need

all the houses in our Village have a huge storage area above the garage....that's were we have stored our Christmas decorations for the past few years without issue

we gave away most of the yard tools and have folks take care of the outside for us

We have an oversize 2 car garage and golf cart garage...we've purchased a lot of shelving racks and installed them in the garage...that's really helped

all that said....there are lots of self storage places in the surrounding areas
"All the houses in The Villages"? I have a 3/2 cottage home and the storage area above the garage is very small and not easily accessible.

I wonder about the storage areas in the Patio Villas.

I have been in a friend's house that has an attic that you want walk around in, but that it no means indicative of all of the houses.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:42 AM

You wont do it but if you haven't worn the clothes in the last 60 days...don't bring it. You need very little winter clothes and dress clothes are a thing of the past....
Old 07-13-2020, 07:00 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sborlove View Post
You wont do it but if you haven't worn the clothes in the last 60 days...don't bring it. You need very little winter clothes and dress clothes are a thing of the past....
Get rid of the clothes, also extra sheets and towels, that's why we have washer and dryers. Don't bring the china, likely won't use that either. Furniture....fit it to the style of home you are buying. Florida decorating is not like Northern state decorating. We came down here with 10 boxes and never regretted it. 4 homes later and no clutter, not easy to do but sure frees up the mind space when the physical clutter is GONE! Resale furniture here is plentiful, you can likely buy what you need actually here on this site or in second hand stores, or Babette's is very good too! Less is best.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:07 AM
Gold member

No need to bring your snow shovels . Actually, we get rid of half of what we had and brought the rest down here. Within 2 weeks another half of what we brought was on the curb for the pickers.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 07-13-2020, 07:12 AM

In the words of Marie Kondo (who wrote a book on the subject), if it doesn’t “spark joy” you don’t need it. As you pack, ask yourself if that item sparks joy. You’ll be surprised how much “stuff” you can throw away, donate or sell.
Closed Thread

Tags
downsizing, villages, move, put, things

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.