Employment in TV ?

Closed Thread
Old 01-21-2013, 08:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubsgo View Post
Be ready to get paid $7.67 an hour for work that anywhere else would pay $9-10 an hour! No raises, no benefits worth talking about and you WILL be worked until your feet fall off. It doesn't matter where you work...gate attendants to popping corn in the theater's, $7.67 is what you get and IMO, that's ridiculous, especially for gate attendants which at times can be a dangerous job.
Supply and Demand
Old 01-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Veteran member

The Sumter, Lake and Marion County Schools would welcome him. Lots of private schools too. Hall of Fame. Darn, I would like to meet him.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:16 PM
Sage

Basically, what is being said is that no one should move to The Villages with a NEED to have a job in order to live here. Most of the jobs are in the $8-$10per hour range and even those are not easy to come by. It may be nice to supplement your retirement pension or Social Security but it should not be NEEDED.
If it is, you would be missing out on lots of the lifestyle we moved to The Villages to enjoy on a daily basis. Why not stay where you are until you are able to retire on enough money to fully enjoy the lifestyle of The Villages?
If you merely want to have a job in order to keep busy, there are volunteer opportunities. I work as a volunteer at the Christian Food Pantry one day a week and that gives me a sense of accomplishment. We could always use more volunteers.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Basically, what is being said is that no one should move to The Villages with a NEED to have a job in order to live here. Most of the jobs are in the $8-$10per hour range and even those are not easy to come by. It may be nice to supplement your retirement pension or Social Security but it should not be NEEDED.
If it is, you would be missing out on lots of the lifestyle we moved to The Villages to enjoy on a daily basis. Why not stay where you are until you are able to retire on enough money to fully enjoy the lifestyle of The Villages?
If you merely want to have a job in order to keep busy, there are volunteer opportunities. I work as a volunteer at the Christian Food Pantry one day a week and that gives me a sense of accomplishment. We could always use more volunteers.
I agree with every word of your post.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:18 PM
Veteran member

If you are just looking for something to do volunteer there are many places around here . Find yourself an online business on eBay I have friends paid off the bond here just selling on eBay. He sells iPhone cases and iPad cases he gets from China and sells them online he has a great small business that he has built from scratch You have to think outside the box. He was going to sell at market nites but the villages wanted way too much of a cut
Old 01-21-2013, 08:48 PM
Sage

Sorry, dont know about jobs in The Villages, but if we are going to discuss volunteering please don't forget our most precious commodity. Public schools need dedicated volunteers to carry out a variety of duties ranging from tutoring and mentoring children or assisting with fundraising efforts. When you contribute your time at a school, you're sending the message that education is important.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:41 PM

Thanks for the tip ;-)
Old 01-22-2013, 07:22 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
Sorry, dont know about jobs in The Villages, but if we are going to discuss volunteering please don't forget our most precious commodity. Public schools need dedicated volunteers to carry out a variety of duties ranging from tutoring and mentoring children or assisting with fundraising efforts. When you contribute your time at a school, you're sending the message that education is important.
"Or private schools"................
Old 01-22-2013, 07:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
I agree,mostly low paying jobs. Currently there are no job listing for opening at the villages schools.Myself retired from education,and coaching,I tell a story about a villager who coached at a major college, some 28 years, he checked out about about assistant coaching at the villages high school. Sorry they did not need his services. Think he is a college hall of famer. Would have done great job there ,but they took a pass. You know the saying, not what you know,but who you know.
I'm a retired PGA professsional and was turned down for a job as an ambassador, (starter/ranger for most outsiders). I'm not sure why. I do have some minor physical limitations, but I also think that they may not like having experienced people so that they can train you their way.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
Better hurry before they are all replaced by corporation run charter schools.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:27 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Better hurry before they are all replaced by corporation run charter schools.
What a shame, The downfall of education for our children.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.