Entitlement question

Closed Thread
Old 06-11-2011, 07:49 AM
Default Entitlement question

I've been following this forum for about 6 months now. My wife and I are considering the Villages as an option for a place to live out our lives. But reading the different posts I'm getting a feeling that the residents there have a sense of entitlement that I'm not sure I like.

It's OK for the Morse family to dictate many aspects of daily life but.....

Don't mess with my right to have my dog in a crowded square or anywhere else I want.

Kids are evil. even a young child temporarily staying with grandparents who lost a parent and other parent is serving in Iraq. And yet the Villages has a school district.

The police are just after my money. If I want to drink in my golfcart I can. Or traffic laws don't apply to golfcarts.

And many similar posts

Is this the general outlook of the Villages? (I'm old so I do what I want) or am I just seeing a small cross section of the populations outlook?

We're coming down for a quick visit in Sept. and really want to like the place but attitude plays as much of a factor as the physical aspect in deciding if it will be for us
Old 06-11-2011, 08:00 AM
Platinum member

There's a few in every crowd whereever you go....but more in some places than others. Go figure.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Gilbert View Post
I've been following this forum for about 6 months now. My wife and I are considering the Villages as an option for a place to live out our lives. But reading the different posts I'm getting a feeling that the residents there have a sense of entitlement that I'm not sure I like.

Don't mess with my right to have my dog in a crowded square or anywhere else I want.

Kids are evil. even a young child temporarily staying with grandparents who lost a parent and other parent is serving in Iraq. And yet the Villages has a school district.

The police are just after my money. If I want to drink in my golfcart I can. Or traffic laws don't apply to golfcarts.

And many similar posts

Is this the general outlook of the Villages? (I'm old so I do what I want) or am I just seeing a small cross section of the populations outlook?

We're coming down for a quick visit in Sept. and really want to like the place but attitude plays as much of a factor as the physical aspect in deciding if it will be for us
We have lived in the Villages for over 5 years now and our excitement, enjoyment and novelty of the lifestyle has not worn off. Our neighbors and friends are the greatest we have ever had. I believe you will find the general outlook of Villagers overwhelmingly positive. Bear in mind there are 80,000 residents enjoying life here. With that statistic in mind, even in the harmonious paradise "Shangri-la" of James Hilton's Lost Horizon, you will find a small percentage of those who take exception because it's who they are. Your "small cross section of the population's outlook" nails it. I would qualify it further by adding "a very small section".

Life is good in the Villages.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:34 AM
Gold member

Quote:

And many similar posts

dont think the few regulars that post on here are representative of the entire population.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default TV

Lived here since 09 and having looked a several areas and states before here I can say this. WOW ! This place is truely fantastic. Everyday is better then the last. You meet new people everywhere you go. Yea there are afew things not everyone likes my self included but I don't think you'll find a better place. I think one of the reason Tony started this site is to give people a safe place to ask questions, seek information and to sound off from time to time. When your out and about VERY rarely do you meet a disgruntaled person. Come down, meet the people and enjoy. As for the children they love it more then we do.After all we're all kids at heart just a little older. See ya soon.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

And many similar posts

yes. that is pretty much it.We all think we are better than anyone and can do what we want. Except for PTurner and Barefoot and Pooh and a couple of others. They're nice.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:05 AM

Seems you just can't get away from them, people that just have to complain. Give them a free steak dinner and they're unhappy it didn't come with desert.

Even at Disneyworld (the happiest place on earth) the most commonly heard sounds are crying kids.

But I will agree that there does seem to be a little uptick of grumpy people on TOTV here recently which prompts me to ask the question, "Is it the heat or the humidity?"
Old 06-11-2011, 09:16 AM
Location: PBG originally NYC. Moving to The Villages in 2012!

I'm pretty sure I love this place, my spouse and I will hopefully move there in 2012.
1. As far as the Morse family dictation....it's about the whole and how to make the majority happy like a condo association. (if you can't get along...pass)
2. I'm not sure of the dog in the crowded square but there are dog parks/runs. It is dog friendly.
3. There is a School in the Villages but my understanding it is for the employees children. I think it is good for our interests in that it keeps employees more interested in staying and doing good jobs knowing their kids are getting a great education. They are not kid hating as you imply. There are programs that are geared to children and their grandparents. This is a community of retired folks. Many of us have done it, been there and well, frankly, don't want to be in that position again full time.
4. You can say that about police anywhere. For me I like having their protection and if something isn't right or I feel wronged I will look into and get answers.
You sound like you're the 'glass is half empty' type and well, from what I've picked up from the threads, articles, television blurbs etc the majority that live in TV are more of the half full mentality. I like that.

Good luck in your visit and try to enjoy yourself
Old 06-11-2011, 09:23 AM

Grumps wil be grumps. Nice will be nice. I've always felt there are two ways to go through life, positive attitude or negative. I choose positive as the majority of villagers do.

Come on down you'll love it!
Old 06-11-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marybb View Post
Grumps wil be grumps. Nice will be nice. I've always felt there are two ways to go through life, positive attitude or negative. I choose positive as the majority of villagers do.

Come on down you'll love it!
Ditto
Old 06-11-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPete View Post
Seems you just can't get away from them, people that just have to complain. Give them a free steak dinner and they're unhappy it didn't come with desert.

Even at Disneyworld (the happiest place on earth) the most commonly heard sounds are crying kids.

But I will agree that there does seem to be a little uptick of grumpy people on TOTV here recently which prompts me to ask the question, "Is it the heat or the humidity?"
BooBear just pointed out that I should make myself more clear. My point is there are unhappy people everywhere and the Villages may not be the answer for everyone but for us, it IS paradise on earth. That's why we have a hold on a lot in the Village of St. James.

I think it will be the best place you have ever seen.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:02 AM

Thanks all,

I was really hoping to hear the positive remarks. We really are assuming that our first impression will be a good one. I have met many "grumps" over the years and will chuckle and walk away smiling but would rather not have to do it on a daily basis.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:29 AM
Sage

Harry, see what you think of TV after your visit. You're seeing a VERY small sliver of the TV population here on TOTV as well as info from non-fulltime people (such as Sandy and I) and others. I think you'll be delighted with what you find when you see and experience it all for yourselves!

Bill
Old 06-11-2011, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Thanks all,

I was really hoping to hear the positive remarks. We really are assuming that our first impression will be a good one. I have met many "grumps" over the years and will chuckle and walk away smiling but would rather not have to do it on a daily basis.
You will not have to.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Thanks all,

Harry. I apologize. I thought that you were a "troll", a person who comes into a site and posts something to kind of cause some negative response.

So, I was being a smart aleck back. It seems you are a real person...and real and kind people make up the overwhelming majority of our population here.

As you will see when you come to visit.

Kindest wishes,
Gracie

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.