Entitlement question

Closed Thread
Old 06-11-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Gilbert View Post
Thanks all,

I was really hoping to hear the positive remarks. We really are assuming that our first impression will be a good one. I have met many "grumps" over the years and will chuckle and walk away smiling but would rather not have to do it on a daily basis.
When we spent our first week on a lifestyle visit in April, we did not experience any of the issues/negatives that are occasionally discussed on the forum, e.g. Dogs in Squares.

Our experience was all of the positive behaviors that are described including the regular assistance from passing carts when we would be pulled over and looking at a map. Any mention of being on a LSV always brought out an engaged conversation where the other person(s) offered advice and information.

In a large community setting the experience was encouraging, relaxed and informative. Many people in line for restaurants often in a working CT environ attributes tension among those waiting with no interaction. Quite the opposite was our experience during the entire week.

Just some observations....as a lurker for about 6 months prior to the LSV we were informed for what to explore and how to be aware of the mixing of the varied and valued expectations of those that make TV their home.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Sage

BobandSandy - An excellent first post!

Bill
Old 06-11-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
BobandSandy - An excellent first post!

Bill
Thanks Bill. Our comments do not seem to be unique, and that fact gives us comfort as well.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Harry,

We were in TV from January of this year when we purchased our home, and remained until March when we returned back to NY State for the summer. I can honestly say that much of what comes across as grumpy here does not really manifest itself when you're face to face with people.

People are usually more friendly in person than they might be in an anonymous or semi-anonymous forum. I can also say that the positive things that people say about TV, neighbors etc. I have found to be true. There can be exceptions, but as someone else has alluded to, that can be the situation most anywhere, and even more so!

For example, just a few hours ago I received an email from one of my neighbors regarding a problem with the person who does my lawn, and the lawn of our neighbor directly across from us.. he has disappeared. The same lawn person does both our properties. Without hesitation, the neighbor who contacted me recognized that there was a problem with the lawn person and proceed to mow both our lawns that were in need of being done. Now wouldn't you agree that's neighborly? Also, I've seen the neighbor behind us mowing their next door neighbors lawn because he was ill and could not do it for himself. I think most other places a neighbor would complain when you have a lawn problem rathen than be helpful!

So when you visit, relax and enjoy what TV has to offer and I'm sure you will find out what I say and others have and will indicate are true!

Joe
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 06-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPete View Post
BooBear just pointed out that I should make myself more clear. My point is there are unhappy people everywhere and the Villages may not be the answer for everyone but for us, it IS paradise on earth. That's why we have a hold on a lot in the Village of St. James.

I think it will be the best place you have ever seen.
I just love that dichotomy "Love it or leave it". What a great tool to marginalize legitimate complaints. I mean because someone complains they are a grump, nothing will ever satisfy them, etc. Indeed some of that is true but not all...I am one who attempts not to deal in absolutes, except perhaps death and like all of us I am trying to avoid that one too.

There are many good things about TV but then there are many serious flaws. I have lived here for 5 years and after my best efforts have not gotten comfortable with living here. I had cited some of the reasons but decided against publishing them. My only and real point here is that this place is a very individual taste.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Harry. I apologize. I thought that you were a "troll", a person who comes into a site and posts something to kind of cause some negative response.

So, I was being a smart aleck back. It seems you are a real person...and real and kind people make up the overwhelming majority of our population here.

As you will see when you come to visit.

Kindest wishes,
Gracie
Gracie,
No harm no foul. I've read enough of your posts to pick up on your devilish side Actually thought it was funny.

We will only have one day this trip to explore TV. The plan is to rent a golf cart and explore a little with lunch at one square and dinner at the other. It will still be another 3 years before we can make a move. We both like the idea that there are things to do besides sit home and I've wanted to learn to play ^#$(&^ (some call it golf)
Old 06-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
Harry,

We were in TV from January of this year when we purchased our home, and remained until March when we returned back to NY State for the summer. I can honestly say that much of what comes across as grumpy here does not really manifest itself when you're face to face with people.

People are usually more friendly in person than they might be in an anonymous or semi-anonymous forum. I can also say that the positive things that people say about TV, neighbors etc. I have found to be true. There can be exceptions, but as someone else has alluded to, that can be the situation most anywhere, and even more so!

For example, just a few hours ago I received an email from one of my neighbors regarding a problem with the person who does my lawn, and the lawn of our neighbor directly across from us.. he has disappeared. The same lawn person does both our properties. Without hesitation, the neighbor who contacted me recognized that there was a problem with the lawn person and proceed to mow both our lawns that were in need of being done. Now wouldn't you agree that's neighborly? Also, I've seen the neighbor behind us mowing their next door neighbors lawn because he was ill and could not do it for himself. I think most other places a neighbor would complain when you have a lawn problem rathen than be helpful!

So when you visit, relax and enjoy what TV has to offer and I'm sure you will find out what I say and others have and will indicate are true!

Joe
Skyguy79, What a nice neighbor you have especially to mow 2 lawns in the heat of a Florida summer! I hope that is typical of TV as I will probably be getting lost several times while driving a golf cart for the first time when I visit next month! So in July if anyone see's a woman with light brown hair pulled off to the side of a golf cart trail studying a map, that may be me. And will I will gladly accept directions.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:27 PM
nkrifats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
Skyguy79, What a nice neighbor you have especially to mow 2 lawns in the heat of a Florida summer! I hope that is typical of TV as I will probably be getting lost several times while driving a golf cart for the first time when I visit next month! So in July if anyone see's a woman with light brown hair pulled off to the side of a golf cart trail studying a map, that may be me. And will I will gladly accept directions.
I have found when you are pulled off to the side studying your map. You will have more help than you ever dreamed about. I have had people just tell me to follow them.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:43 PM
Veteran member

The golf cart is a good example. When I moved here 18 months ago, I got lost a few times while on the golf cart. Just pull over to the side of the golf cart trail and in a matter of moments, people will stop and ask if you need help. Most would actually say, "Follow me" and lead me to my destination.

I have repaid this many times myself whenever I see a cart pulled over. It just seems the neighborly thing to do.

You cannot tell what someone is like from this forum. I have been on the Political forum and gotten into some heated discussions. I met one of the "opposition" for introduction and a couple of beers. Very personable and nice guy. Probably even going to play golf together soon.

Everyone just wants to have a good time here. Join us and see for yourself.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
So in July if anyone see's a woman with light brown hair pulled off to the side of a golf cart trail studying a map, that may be me. And will I will gladly accept directions.
Just don't hang an exposed leg out the side of the golf cart to attract an approaching male driver. You just might cause him to drive off the trail! The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 06-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Funny you asked

I WAS HAVING THAT CONVERSATION WITH MY CARDIOLOGIST THE OTHER DAY. HE SAID THAT MANY VILLAGERS FEEL ENTITLED TO "MAID LIKE" SERVICE WHEN THEY ARE IN THE HOSPITAL. THE REALITY OF THE SITUATION IS THAT ALL HEALTHCARE PROVIDERS HAVE MORE THAN ONE PATIENT AND THEY HAVE TO ATTEND TO ALL OF THEM.
AS THE CHAPLAIN AT THE HOSPITAL, I HEAR PEOPLE COMPLAINIG AND PEOPLE SINGING THEIR PRAISES. THERE ARE FOLKS THAT THINK THEY ARE SPECIAL EVERYWHERE NOT JUST IN THE VILLAGES. IT IS STRANGE THAT IN HYDE PARK, AN AREA OF CINCINNATI THAT HAS A LOT OF OLD MONEY, YOU RARELY RUN INTO ATTITUDE. IT IS THE NEW MONEY THAT ARE UPPITY. AND THEN THERE ARE THE FOLKS LIKE US WITH THE HOPE OF NEW MONEY. IN THE NEXT FIVE YEARS WOULD BE NICE!!!!

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 06-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
dont think the few regulars that post on here are representative of the entire population.
I would put my two cents worth in here as well. It's the same people over and over on this site who seem to use it to gripe. It is NOT indicative of the general population. Many times I've wanted to respond to some of those "entitlement" comments but figure they won't change anyway from someone wanting to be a bit more positive. The Villages is a great place to live!!!
Old 06-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Veteran member

I personally think that no matter where you decide to retire, compromise will be involved. No place is perfect, including The Villages. There are a number of people I have run into here that I would never care to associate with. However, that probably goes for any community. All in all, we feel the positives outweight the negatives. But, it may not be for everyone. If it piques your curiousity, check the community out for a few months to see if it works for you.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.